Windows 10: Can't assign driver to device

Discus and support Can't assign driver to device in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I purchased a Xbox 360 wireless adapter to connect 360 controllers to my pc. This worked fine for a long time until a recent windows update removed the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Baily572, Oct 18, 2020.

1. Baily572 Win User

Can't assign driver to device

I purchased a Xbox 360 wireless adapter to connect 360 controllers to my pc. This worked fine for a long time until a recent windows update removed the driver from the device and made it so I can not reassign a driver to the device. When i assign a driver to it, it does not actually assign the driver and still says it is an unknown device. Any help would be appriciated.

:)

Baily572, Oct 18, 2020
  2. Matt__S Win User

Wrong driver assigned to device

Device is a CDC ACM device.

When plugged into windows 10 the system driver, usbser.sys is assigned to it rather than the correct driver. Doing an 'update driver' from device manager and selecting manually the correct driver results in the correct driver showing in the list and is
    recognised as signed.

If two device are plugged in both get assigned usbser.sys, and both have the same COM number. This is an even bigger fail. The symbolic link must be unique.

Needless to say the driver and installer work perfectly well on all previous windows versions. I have also been writing windows kernel drivers for 20 years, so I know what I am doing.

These are clearly bugs in Windows 10 and need resolving.

Matt__S, Oct 18, 2020
  3. John Fue Win User
    Windows 10 wrongly assigned CDROM device driver to CD/DVDW

Hi Michael,

To address your concern, we suggest to run System File Checkeras DLL file is associated to your drivers.

The following list describes some of the files that are implemented as DLLs in Windows operating systems:

• ActiveX Controls (.ocx) files

An example of an ActiveX control is a calendar control that lets you select a date from a calendar.
    • Control Panel (.cpl) files

An example of a .cpl file is an item that is located in Control Panel. Each item is a specialized DLL.
    • Device driver (.drv) files

An example of a device driver is a printer driver that controls the printing to a printer.

System File Checker is a utility available in Windows 10 that checks for system file corruption. It's recommended for advanced users.

Follow the steps below:

• Right-click (or press and hold) the Start button, then select Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Enter sfc/scannow (note the space between "sfc" and "/").

Thanks.

John Fue, Oct 18, 2020
  4. Can't assign driver to device

Device Manager Un-Hiding Hidden Devices

When you connect a plug and play device, Windows Plug and Play manager detects it, finds and installs the driver. Device Manager lists the device with a solid icon.

The driver is only removed when you uninstall the device, not simply by disconnecting the device. When the device is disconnected, its driver is still installed. By default, Device Manager only displays connected devices. When you show hidden devices, note the Bluetooth icon you see is semi-transparent (not opaque). That indicates a "non-present" device. Sometimes also called a "ghost" device. The driver is still installed but the device is not currently detected (i.e. not connected).

Device can be disconnected when
    • Device unplugged (e.g. removing a USB device)
    • Turning a device OFF
    • Disabling the device in BIOS (then windows won't detect it) or
    • Device failure

So
    • Check BIOS as suggested
    • Check board connections
    • Can b/t be turned off by a switch? or keyboard combination?
    Also possible the b/t h/w failed

ComputerGeek, Oct 18, 2020
Thema:

Can't assign driver to device

1. Can't assign driver to device - Similar Threads - Can't assign driver

2. A driver can't load on this device- WIndows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    A driver can't load on this device- WIndows 11: Each time I boot my computer I get the following error message from the Program Compatibility Assistant: A driver can't load on this device. The driver at issue is cpuz136_x64.sys I ignore the message and all seems OK but what am I missing, if anything, and how can I turn it...
  3. A driver can't load on this device- WIndows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    A driver can't load on this device- WIndows 11: Each time I boot my computer I get the following error message from the Program Compatibility Assistant: A driver can't load on this device. The driver at issue is cpuz136_x64.sys I ignore the message and all seems OK but what am I missing, if anything, and how can I turn it...
  4. How to track device IDs assignments in Windows?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to track device IDs assignments in Windows?: Is there a way to keep track of device IDs as they're assigned by the OS? I'm using Windows 8.1, trying to track mouse IDs in specific. A cursory glance at the System logs turned nothing useful.To elaborate a little, I'm having issues with my mouse and Wacom tablet, which...
  5. How to track device IDs assignments in Windows?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to track device IDs assignments in Windows?: Is there a way to keep track of device IDs as they're assigned by the OS? I'm using Windows 8.1, trying to track mouse IDs in specific. A cursory glance at the System logs turned nothing useful.To elaborate a little, I'm having issues with my mouse and Wacom tablet, which...
  6. Driver installs but device shows Other Device and can't finish install

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Driver installs but device shows Other Device and can't finish install: Problem: I'm able to install the driver and Device manager recognizes the device, but the final install step of connecting the device to the computer won't complete. What happens: I install the driver without the device attached (as instructed). The driver installs and...
  7. Enabling Discrete Device Assignment on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Enabling Discrete Device Assignment on Windows 10: Hello, I've been experimenting with different versions of Windows 10, and I am almost ready to buy a license, but unfortunately there is one major problem that is a showstopper for me. For my work, I need to be able to pass through physical devices to a linux-based HyperV...
  8. Assigning one jack to one sound device

Assigning one jack to one sound device: I have an issue where both a front panel jack and a rear panel jack links to the same audio playback device below As shown, i can plug both my headphones and speakers into each jack, but only one appearsspeakers It is only if I unplug the speakers do i hear audio from my...
  9. Can't install drivers for unknown device in device manager

Can't install drivers for unknown device in device manager: I am having an issue where I try to apply a driver to an "Unknown Device" I apply a driver that is Digitally signed it says it updated the device but when device manager refreshes it still says unknown device as if it was never updated. I tried this on a 2nd computer and it...
  10. Can't assign hotkey for Burmese language

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't assign hotkey for Burmese language: Hi. I'm using Windows 10 version 1909 OS build 18363.778. Generally I use 3 languages input English, Thai and Chinese. Recently, I've started learning Burmese. I've tried to set hotkey for it but it doesn't work. I changed many key sequences but it doesn't help. Referring to...