Windows 10: Can't associate mp3 files with 64bit WMP?

Discus and support Can't associate mp3 files with 64bit WMP? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hello, For some reason, when I try to associate mp3 files with the 64bit edition of Windows Media Player (yes, I still use that) it makes explorer.exe... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by JohnnyGui, Mar 14, 2020.

1. JohnnyGui Win User

Can't associate mp3 files with 64bit WMP?

Hello,

For some reason, when I try to associate mp3 files with the 64bit edition of Windows Media Player (yes, I still use that) it makes explorer.exe hang and the change doesn't get applied.

The method I use is right-clicking on a random mp3 file -> Properties and selecting "Change…" as shown below:

Can't associate mp3 files with 64bit WMP? [​IMG]

…and then choosing wmplayer.exe in the Program Files/Windows Media Player folder. As soon as I hit OK, the Properties dialog box hangs and I'd have to end it using Task Manager.

In the Settings app, you can only select the 32bit WMP.

Anyone else experiences hangs of the Properties box when doing this? I'm using Windows 10 Pro x64 1909 with the latest updates.

:)

JohnnyGui, Mar 14, 2020
  2. JohnnyGui Win User

Thanks a lot for testing this out.

So I just discovered something else; it's not just selecting the 64bit wmplayer.exe that makes it hang. Apparently selecting "Change..." in the Properties box then "Look for another app on this PC" and just clicking Cancel in the browsing box that appears also makes it hang for some reason.

So the problem is not tied to WMP but it's an overall bug. I will change the OP accordingly.

JohnnyGui, Mar 14, 2020
  3. sygnus21 Win User
    "Look for another app on this PC" option makes Explorer crash

I'm still a little confused so I'll post what I "think" you're saying....

• You can associate your mp3 files with the 32-bit Windows Media Player without issue.
    • You can not associate your mp3 files with the 64-bit Windows Media Player.
    Is that correct?

Anyway, I just tried associating my wave files with both the 32-bit WMP (Program Files x86) and the 64-bit WMP (Program Files) and both played without issue.

sygnus21, Mar 14, 2020
  4. Edwin Win User

mp3 to wmp

Hi @irene7453, welcome to tenforums.com! Can't associate mp3 files with 64bit WMP? :)

Plug your player into the PC via USB, making sure it installs necessary drivers, then simply copy and paste them over to your 'Music' folder.

(Installing a Windows Phone as an example):

Edwin, Mar 14, 2020
Thema:

1. Can't associate mp3 files with 64bit WMP? - Similar Threads - Can't associate mp3

2. downloaded mp3 not showing file length. WMP is not showing the file length on downloaded mp3s?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    downloaded mp3 not showing file length. WMP is not showing the file length on downloaded mp3s?: I downloaded mp3s to my desktop so I could put them on my usb drive to listen to in my car. Some of the songs are missing file length so I deleted them and downloaded them again and checked the down load length was there. but when i opened them on my pc the length was missing...
  3. downloaded mp3 not showing file length. WMP is not showing the file length on downloaded mp3s?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    downloaded mp3 not showing file length. WMP is not showing the file length on downloaded mp3s?: I downloaded mp3s to my desktop so I could put them on my usb drive to listen to in my car. Some of the songs are missing file length so I deleted them and downloaded them again and checked the down load length was there. but when i opened them on my pc the length was missing...
  4. MP3 music syncing with WMP

MP3 music syncing with WMP: Hi: I am trying to transfer a playlist of MP3s music to a thumb drive for playback in my Honda 2013 sound system via an USB receptacle jack. With the Play tab selected in WMP, I selected all songs and dragged to the Playlist righthand panel. Then selected the Sync tab....
  5. Can't associate mp3 files with 64bit WMP?

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't associate mp3 files with 64bit WMP?: Hello, For some reason, when I try to associate mp3 files with the 64bit edition of Windows Media Player (yes, I still use that) it makes explorer.exe hang and the change doesn't get applied.. The method I use is right-clicking on a random mp3 file -> Properties -> Open...
  6. Clicking on MP3 file opens associated program with a different mp3

Clicking on MP3 file opens associated program with a different mp3: Hi all I'm running Windows 10.0.18362 Build 18362 on an ASUS Zenbook Model UX430UAR 16 gb I've associated Transcribe by Seventh String software with mp3 files however clicking on any mp3 file in explorer always opens the program with the first mp3 I originally opened many...
  7. wmp 12 win 10 64bit

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    wmp 12 win 10 64bit: habe ausversehen den wmp deistalliert.wie kann ich denwmp wieder herstellen? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wmp-12-win-10-64bit/9313d593-56b7-4085-89fb-7654e6fb1bb0
  8. how to transfer music from wmp to mp3

in Windows 10 Customization
    how to transfer music from wmp to mp3: how to transfer music from wmp to mp3 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/how-to-transfer-music-from-wmp-to-mp3/cf3c4cba-f60f-4002-9767-d9e2e9044d93
  9. wmp no sound with certain mp3 audio files or books

wmp no sound with certain mp3 audio files or books: I have just upgraded to windows 10 version 1803. I have discovered that when I try to place certain mp3 audio books there is no sound, the progression bar moves along as if the file is being played. When I use VLC or iTunes there is no problem. I had no problem playing any of...
  10. mp3 to wmp

in Windows 10 Support
    mp3 to wmp: Please post how to take songs off mp3 player and put in windows media player. Appreciate the help! 50944