Windows 10: Can't Back Up System Files To The Recovery Drive

Discus and support Can't Back Up System Files To The Recovery Drive in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I am attempting to create a Recovery Drive, using an external hard drive. On the screen "create a recovery drive", there is an option to "back up... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by rockydean, Jan 24, 2020.

1. rockydean Win User

Can't Back Up System Files To The Recovery Drive

I am attempting to create a Recovery Drive, using an external hard drive. On the screen "create a recovery drive", there is an option to "back up system files to the recovery drive". If I check that box, the next screen "please wait" with the green status bar runs forever, like there is not a drive available. It never goes to the next screen.

If I don't have the "back up system files" box checked, it finds the external hard drive in a few seconds, and I can go on to create the recovery backup.

Any idea what I can't back up the system files ?

:)

rockydean, Jan 24, 2020

2. Recovery Drive

Hi,

Thank you for posting your concern. In some cases, this could happen if you created a system restore point on your computer. Windows will use the recovery drive to revert to the previous time where your computer is working properly, or where you created
    it. Please don't attempt to put any files in the recovery drive or the restore process will fail. To give you more suggestion and helpful information, we would like to more about your computer. Please answer the question below:

• Did you make any changes to your computer before this issue occurs?
    • Have you install Windows Update before getting the Recovery drive?
    • Which version of Windows are you using? To check it, follow the steps through this
      link.

In the meantime, you can check the files inside the recovery drive and confirm if there are essential files that you need.

We'll be waiting for your response.

Lemuel Cie, Jan 24, 2020
  3. Creating Recovery Drive including System Files

Hi,

Thank you for coming back to us.

As you said the recovery drive is only 512 MB, it seems that you have not selected the all the drives. It is not possible that the recovery drive is only 512 MB. The C:\ drive itself is more than 3 GB because of the operating system files are installed
    on it. So, try selecting all the drive and check if you are able to create a recovery drive.

If the issue still persist, it could be due to the Volume shadow copy is not running on Windows background. Let’s try turning on the Volume shadow copy and check. Follow the below steps.

• Press Windows key + R, type services.msc and press
      Enter.
    • Locate for Volume shadow copy, check if the services is running. If is not running, right click on it and click on Start. (If it is running stop it, and start it again manually).
    We look forward to hear from you for further assistance.

Billion Debbarma, Jan 24, 2020
  4. Macazine Win User

Recover files from Flash drive

According to me, the best flash drive recovery software which i have used and recovered files easily. It is very easy to use and within few steps you can recover data from flash drive. http://billhoyer.com/recover-corrupt-flash-drive-mac

Macazine, Jan 24, 2020
Thema:

1. Can't Back Up System Files To The Recovery Drive - Similar Threads - Can't System Files

2. Files that are backed up to One Drive can't be copied back to the PC.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Files that are backed up to One Drive can't be copied back to the PC.: Since both Gdrive and One Drive have limited storage - I am attempting to clean up both and move some of the storage needs onto my SAN at home. There's plenty of room on those Hard Drives.I can tell you that most items will not copy off One Drive - they all fail. If the files...
  3. Files that are backed up to One Drive can't be copied back to the PC.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Files that are backed up to One Drive can't be copied back to the PC.: Since both Gdrive and One Drive have limited storage - I am attempting to clean up both and move some of the storage needs onto my SAN at home. There's plenty of room on those Hard Drives.I can tell you that most items will not copy off One Drive - they all fail. If the files...
  4. MSI recovery back up versus Microsoft recovery drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MSI recovery back up versus Microsoft recovery drive: Hello,Please could someone explain the difference between these two tools? I normally create a Microsoft Recovery Drive when I set up a new laptop but I have set up a recovery back up with MSI Center because it recommended to do this before upgrading to Windows 11.If MSI...
  5. MSI recovery back up versus Microsoft recovery drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    MSI recovery back up versus Microsoft recovery drive: Hello,Please could someone explain the difference between these two tools? I normally create a Microsoft Recovery Drive when I set up a new laptop but I have set up a recovery back up with MSI Center because it recommended to do this before upgrading to Windows 11.If MSI...
  6. Can't choose drives to back up.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't choose drives to back up.: Hello MS community! I have a question regarding backing up the computer files. So I want to create a system image on my external HDD. I got a "1Tb Toshiba HDD" external drive. And my host machine running "Windows 10 Home 1909", and there I got C\D\E drives as well. When I...
  7. Trying to set up a recovery drive and backup system files

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Trying to set up a recovery drive and backup system files: I am trying to follow these steps to set up a recovery disc onto a 128-GB flash drive. I am in Administrator mode. If I check the "back up systems files to the recovery drive" option, selecting to proceed, and waiting for a few minutes, the recovery drive creator won't let me...
  8. Trying to set up a recovery drive and backup system files

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Trying to set up a recovery drive and backup system files: I am trying to follow these steps to set up a recovery disc onto a 128-GB flash drive. I am in Administrator mode. If I check the "back up systems files to the recovery drive" option, selecting to proceed, and waiting for a few minutes, the recovery drive creator won't let me...
  9. recovery and back ups

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    recovery and back ups: is it ok to have a recovery disk and backup disk on the same disk drive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/recovery-and-back-ups/7c0ba7a8-9908-4f41-a4a9-586f1bf3eb3f
  10. Can't find system image on recovery drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Can't find system image on recovery drive: One of the 1st things I do with a new PC is create & test a recovery drive. This is the 3rd Windows 10 PC I've worked on-all Toshiba Satellites by coincidence. This one seems to have a problem, possibly creating the recovery drive and if not that then certainly using it. Or...