Windows 10: "...can't be opened using built-in Administrator account."

Discus and support "...can't be opened using built-in Administrator account." in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi all, Working on a Win10 touchscreen desktop for a friend who just got scammed by one those fake "call this number, your computer is infected"... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Darkstrike, Jan 28, 2016.

1. "...can't be opened using built-in Administrator account."

Hi all,

Working on a Win10 touchscreen desktop for a friend who just got scammed by one those fake "call this number, your computer is infected" ads. She foolishly let somebody from Indian remote into her computer and install some fake "weather" software which just caused many fake error messages to appear on boot and every so often to trick you into paying them.

That all being said, I've cleaned all the Malware off of it and everything is back to normal EXCEPT...

Half the programs "including her sound functionality/volume control applet in the system tray" won't start or load and install all just give a "...can't be opened using built-in Administrator account." error....

Is there any way to fix this? Everything worked fine before, and the computer only has one user account set as Administrator....?

Thanks for any help!

:)

Darkstrike, Jan 28, 2016

2. default photos app open error

when i open pictures, it shows "photos can't be opened using the Built-in Administrator account "

nabilakhokhar, Jan 28, 2016
  3. xgeojoe Win User
    Windows 10.0.15063.447

Followed instructions until ran into message:"This app can't be opened using the Built-in Administrator account. Sign in with a different account and try again."

xgeojoe, Jan 28, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

"...can't be opened using built-in Administrator account."

I would create another user account set as administrator and see if the problem carries over to the new account. If it does, I would say it is time for a clean install.

NavyLCDR, Jan 28, 2016
  5. dalchina New Member
    Hello, one can only guess at what damage may have been done, and whether it's safe to proceed with such a system at all.

I assume your friend hasn't learnt the need to use disk imaging yet (else you would simply have restored an image created prior to the infestation). That lesson, sadly, is often learnt after some nasty event.

Personally what I'd do is to make a disk image of the system disk, so you can recover whatever personal data you need later.

Then do a complete clean install.
    Reinstall programs
    Recover data from the disk image.

I would not recommend trying any sort of repair- you could just end up wasting time and be left with an unreliable device.

dalchina, Jan 28, 2016
  6. Mystere Win User
    There is a difference between THE administrator account, and a user account that is set to be an administrator. If you are using the built-in administrator, then it's true. You can't use those tools using that account.

If it's a regular user, then perhaps UAC has been disabled. In which case, you can enable UAC (there are guides in the tutorials section of the site).

Mystere, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

"...can't be opened using built-in Administrator account."

1. "...can't be opened using built-in Administrator account." - Similar Threads - can't opened using

2. Edge can't open using built-in Admin account

in Browsers and Email
    Edge can't open using built-in Admin account: Hello, My office updated to Win 10 about three months ago. One of my co-workers has discovered that she can't boot Edge. I've tried these potential fixes, but still no go. Fix #1: 1. >Win/R & type “secpol.msc” (no quotes); browse to: >Local Policies, >Security...
  3. Built in administrator account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Built in administrator account: I've been using Windows 10 since the auto update from 8.1 Everything has worked since then, but then this happens. Randomly in the last days, if I click on any app, I get prompted "App cannot be opened using the built-in administrator account." I don't know where...
  4. The ...cannot be opened with built-in administrator account problem

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    The ...cannot be opened with built-in administrator account problem: I am trying to help my neighbor upgrade to windows 10 from 8 (we have downgraded once because of these problems, and if I can't get this solved soon, I will have to do it again). In 8 apparently, she was using the builtin admin account as her primary/only account, though...
  5. Microsoft Edge can't be opened using the built-in administrator

in Browsers and Email
    Microsoft Edge can't be opened using the built-in administrator: I only have one user account on my Windows 10x64 Pro machine and it has administrator privileges with UAC turned off and has been that way ever since it was installed. Now whenever I try to open Microsoft Edge I get a pop-up that says: "Microsoft Edge can't be opened using...
  6. Mail Can't be Opened using the Built-in Administration Account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Mail Can't be Opened using the Built-in Administration Account: I can't use any of the panes (calendar, weather, store, etc.) on Windows 10. I receive a message "this app can't open. Mail can't be opened using the built in administration account. How to resolve this issue quickly and reliably? 32598
  7. Can't open photos with built in administrator

Can't open photos with built in administrator: Okay as it implies I can't open photos, I did have this problem before on my other computers. Whenever I try to add a new account it takes me to setttings and when I hit the button to add another account I get a black windows box for half second and nothing happens. Should I...
  8. App can't be opened using the built-in administrator account.

App can't be opened using the built-in administrator account.: [img] [img] I was getting UAC shields appearing on some of the icons. I found the solution how to get rid of them by going to the "Local Security Policy" > Local Policies > Security Options and disabling: User Account Control: Run all administrators in Admin Approval Mode...
  9. Settings cant be opened using the Built-in Administrator account

in Windows 10 Support
    Settings cant be opened using the Built-in Administrator account: When we received the acer we open a new outlook.com account. Never used it for any thing else. We apparently used the wrong password to many times and MS locked us out of the acct. They will not let us back in. We have the password to log into the computer and I used another...
  10. Settings can't be opened using the built-in administrator account

in Windows 10 Support
    Settings can't be opened using the built-in administrator account: I installed Windows 10 from Windows 7, and now I can't open Settings using my account (which is an administrator account). I apparently have to use a different account, but I don't have one, and with no access to Settings, I can't make another account. I tried booting into...