Windows 10: Can’t boot clean install of Win10

Discus and support Can’t boot clean install of Win10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; i have a dual boot setup and was not able to complete updates on one of the os’s so decided to do a clean install of it with the new update. Used a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by JoRene, Nov 5, 2018.

1. JoRene Win User

Can’t boot clean install of Win10

i have a dual boot setup and was not able to complete updates on one of the os’s so decided to do a clean install of it with the new update. Used a dvd install after downloading the iso file from MS, the install finished and i was able to get through the initia setup of the operating system. However, when I started up the next time, the new install would not boot, i can still get to the other os on a different hard drive and both show up in the boot menu, But when booting to the new os, i get the error screen that no boot device is available and it tries to do an automatic repair, which fails. Ive tried using bootrec commands to repair the mbr and boot but that also doesnt help, what could have gone wrong and what should i do? This is an older computer with no special boot restrictions.

:)

JoRene, Nov 5, 2018

2. Clean Install Workaround for Vista

You may remember this news story on techPowerUp! a couple of days ago relating to the lack of clean installs when using the Upgrade Editions of Vista, which required an old OS to be installed. However, Paul Thurrott has managed to find a workaround for this issue, which ironically lets users do a clean install Vista without any previous version of Windows, albeit a little tedious. Here are the steps:
    • Boot from the Windows Vista Upgrade DVD as normal
    • When prompted for a product code, leave this blank
    • Select the version of Vista you have purchased and let Vista install
    • When you boot to your desktop for the first time, run the Vista setup from Windows
    • This time enter your product key
    • When asked whether you want to do an Upgrade of Custom install, select custom and choose a clean install
    • Windows will now install for a second time and you should be able to activate it
    Remember, these steps are only advised for use in order to achieve a clean install of Vista, it is only legal to use the upgrade editions if you have previously purchased the appropriate version of Windows.

Source: DailyTech

Jimmy 2004, Nov 5, 2018
  3. Why did a clean instal of Win10 use 2 ssd's?

Hi Gerry,

To help you resolve your concern, we suggest that you perform a clean install while the other hard disk are not connected to your device or
    disable the boot menu. Here are the steps on how to disable the boot menu:

• Search System Configuration.
    • Go to the Boot tab and then set the Timeout to
      0 second.
    • Click OK.
    Let us know how it goes.

Jamille Nar, Nov 5, 2018
  4. Toothless Win User

Silent boot failure

List your specs out and tell us each step in cleaning you did.

Toothless, Nov 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Can’t boot clean install of Win10 - Similar Threads - Can’t boot clean

2. Can’t clean install windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can’t clean install windows 11: I’ve recently put together a new pc but in the middle of setting it up i’ve accidentally selected windows 11 pro rather than windows 11 home. I’ve tried to clean install to select windows 11 home but the selection screen won’t pop up when I reset the computer. I’ve even tried...
  3. Clean Install of Win10 leads to EFI-shell / Boot is impossible

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Clean Install of Win10 leads to EFI-shell / Boot is impossible: Hello, I've tried to do a clean install of my niece's laptop. The laptop had a plethora of problems and one of those problems was not being able to update Windows anymore as there wasn't enough disk space on C: 32gb SSD for a few months now. After successfully installing a...
  4. Clean Install of Win10 leads to EFI-shell / Boot is impossible

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Clean Install of Win10 leads to EFI-shell / Boot is impossible: Hello, I've tried to do a clean install of my niece's laptop. The laptop had a plethora of problems and one of those problems was not being able to update Windows anymore as there wasn't enough disk space on C: 32gb SSD for a few months now. After successfully installing a...
  5. Clean Install of Win10 leads to EFI-shell / Boot is impossible

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  6. System can’t boot - can’t find hard drive after clean install of Windows 10

System can’t boot - can’t find hard drive after clean install of Windows 10: Lenovo Yoga Ideapad 11S - after clean install of Win 10, PC would boot OK but after a few minutes a blue screen would appear with a sideways smiley face and message something went wrong, collecting info, will reboot. Now PC can’t boot - message wants me to select a device but...
  7. Issues with clean Win10 Install

Issues with clean Win10 Install: [IMG]I don’t know how to write this I’m not great with computers but this is currently where I’m at and I have no idea where to go from here. I used IBuyPowers guide to fixing “Reboot and select proper boot media, or insert a boot device” and everything was going well up...
  8. Can’t do a clean install

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can’t do a clean install: So I realize there are a lot of things I could have done better, but I’m hoping to salvage this situation. I recently upgraded my boot drive to an nvme ssd, but I was having issues with it not being detected when I’d put my PC into sleep mode. I wasn’t able to find a...
  9. Prepare For Clean Install of WIN10 OEM DVD on Dual-Boot Win10 & Linux

Prepare For Clean Install of WIN10 OEM DVD on Dual-Boot Win10 & Linux: I want to wipe my HDD and clean-install Win10 (1809) as sole OS. Currently have Win10 and Linux Mint 18.3 as dual boot. The Win10 partition has been corrupted so I won't be doing a restore or upgrade, just a new installation. I did try Shawn Brink's tutorial on doing a...
  10. Clean install Win10 with Update?

Clean install Win10 with Update?: I'm one of those people who generally does a clean install with every new major Windows release. The reason for this is general housekeeping: removing old software no longer needed, clearing out drivers and other files no longer used, etc. I'm curious how this sort of install...