Windows 10: Can't boot, failed startup repair and usual

Discus and support Can't boot, failed startup repair and usual in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello,Please let me know if this is not the right place to post this.I've been having a lot of WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR BSOD lately.At a certain point,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Dursobecks, May 24, 2022.

1. Can't boot, failed startup repair and usual

Hello,Please let me know if this is not the right place to post this.I've been having a lot of WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR BSOD lately.At a certain point, trying to debug it, I've had one of them during start up. After that, I've had some CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED BSODs and Win10 won't boot.From now on, Win10 just won't boot, but fails and turns off right after the Huawei logo disappears.I've tried Troubleshoot -> Advanced Options -> Startup repair, it returns Startup Repair couldn't repair your PC.I've tried Uninstall Updates -> Uninstall latest quality update, it returns We ran into a prob

:)

Dursobecks, May 24, 2022
  2. dalchina Win User

Can't boot, failed startup repair and usual

Hi,
    This is strange. Did you use bitlocker encryption?

That suggests you are facing a clean install.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

But for that one simple thing you could have tried is to create Macrium Reflect's boot disk. (Free).

On that boot disk is a useful 'Fixboot' utility - does more than booting from a Win 10 install disk and via Repair your computer, to Startup Repair.

You need to install Macrium R on a PC then create the boot disk.

Boot your PC from that, run the Fix boot utility, report the result.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    As to your attempt to run SFC /SCANNOW offline, note that your Windows partition may not appear as 'C:' as seen from a command prompt like that. You need to first identify which partition is your Windows partition, note the drive letter, and if not C: try again.

However, that only deals with consistency of the system files in C: and not with other areas of the disk needed for booting; nor does it deal with registry corruption, for example.

Can't boot, failed startup repair and usual [​IMG]

Here's your screenshot correctly oriented as I didn't want to turn my laptop through 90 deg.

However, again, if you can't see the files...
    ---------------------------------------
    After this experience, and probably after a clean install, I hope you will start to use disk imaging regularly and routinely- of all Windows partitions- so you can recover even if your disk is corrupt, your PC fails or is stolen. And you have a complete accessible backup.

dalchina, May 24, 2022
  3. TFM
    tfm Win User

Thank you for chiming in. I've set up a Kyhi's rescue disk (Win10XPE - Build Your Own Rescue Media).

It booted alright and I had no BSODs for about 2 hours. A side note here is that I've been having some trouble with USB sticks not showing in BIOS, under bootable drives. They just don't, and most of times they also don't appear on the boot options F12. Tried 3 different USB sticks, FAT32 and MBR.

However, even not showing up in BIOS, USB loaded with Kyhi's appeared on F12 boot option.

I could not open the files in the Onedrive default location. Diretory struture seemed to be intact, but I just couln't open anything. Using explorer, it lagged for some time and just didn't show anyfile. Using command prompt, it returned that there is no such location. I am not sure if this is a protection measure, or just an evidence that there was disk corruption.

I tried SFC and got the Windows resource protection could not start the repair service message:

How do you suggest I check the SSD health status? I'd like to point out a recent risk of using chkdsk on Win10 + SSD:
    PSA: Running Check Disk Can Break Your SSD | Tom's Hardware

Does it make sense to you?

Also, I used to check SSD health every day using Crystal Disk Info. SMART was fine, 0x0 for every meaningful attribute, and general health (based on available lifetime) was at 87%.

So, just assuming the SSD is fine, then the main concern is the startup files corruption. I don't have a drive image. I do have a cloud based backup of almost everything. Only issue is that my onedrive subscription just expired about 2 weeks ago, and there is data there that I do need. Adding insult to injury, there are some open sessions on browser (work stuff) that, if lost due to a new install, would be really troublesome.

So I'd like suggestions to try to fix the boot.

4. Megahertz Win User

You wrote that you can't see the USB as a boot device on BIOS but it shows on boot menu.
    How did you built the Kyhi's rescue disk? did you use Rufus? Is the USB formatted as Fat32? Is the partition active?

On a computer with Windows, open a CMD window as administrator and type:
    diskpart
    list disk (it will list all drives. Identify the USB drive number)
    select disk n (replace n by the USB drive number obtained with list disk)
    clean
    convert mbr
    create part primary
    select part 1
    format fs=fat32 quick
    assign
    active
    exit (to exit diskpart)

Mont the Kyhi's rescue disk iso and copy all files and folders to the root of the USB drive.
    It will boot as Legacy and UEFI

I would say you have a failing disk as it fails and turns off right after the Huawei logo disappears.
    Boot from Kyhi's rescue disk, open a CMD window and type:
    chkdsk x: /f (replace x with the drive letter).

Kyhi's rescue disk also has Macrium Reflect so you can try it's boot repair.

Megahertz, May 24, 2022
Thema:

1. Can't boot, failed startup repair and usual - Similar Threads - Can't boot failed

2. Startup Repair Failed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Startup Repair Failed: What to do if start up repair failed?SrtTrail.txt fileStartup Repair diagnosis and repair log --------------------------- Number of repair attempts: 1 Session details --------------------------- System Disk = \Device\Harddisk0 Windows directory = C:\WINDOWS AutoChk Run = 0...
  3. Startup Repair Failed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Startup Repair Failed: What to do if start up repair failed?SrtTrail.txt fileStartup Repair diagnosis and repair log --------------------------- Number of repair attempts: 1 Session details --------------------------- System Disk = \Device\Harddisk0 Windows directory = C:\WINDOWS AutoChk Run = 0...
  4. Startup Repair Failing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Startup Repair Failing: My computer needed to restart to update recently, and the auto repair keeps failing and gives the message:"Startup Repair couldn't repair your PCPress 'Advanced options' to try other options to repair your PC or 'Shut down' to turn off your PC.Log file:...
  5. Startup Repair Failing

Startup Repair Failing: My computer needed to restart to update recently, and the auto repair keeps failing and gives the message:"Startup Repair couldn't repair your PCPress 'Advanced options' to try other options to repair your PC or 'Shut down' to turn off your PC.Log file:...
  6. Can't boot, failed startup repair and usual

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't boot, failed startup repair and usual: Hello,Please let me know if this is not the right place to post this.I've been having a lot of WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR BSOD lately.At a certain point, trying to debug it, I've had one of them during start up. After that, I've had some CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED BSODs and Win10...
  7. Can't boot, failed startup repair and usual

Can't boot, failed startup repair and usual: Hello,Please let me know if this is not the right place to post this.I've been having a lot of WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR BSOD lately.At a certain point, trying to debug it, I've had one of them during start up. After that, I've had some CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED BSODs and Win10...
  8. Startup Repair Failed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Startup Repair Failed: My Lenovo Laptop has been having recurring issues of being unable to boot and when attempting to do startup repair it says it is unable to find the issue, I have tried other things too such as bootrec and it has been unsuccessful, if there is anyone that can help with this it...
  9. Startup Repair Failed

Startup Repair Failed: My Lenovo Laptop has been having recurring issues of being unable to boot and when attempting to do startup repair it says it is unable to find the issue, I have tried other things too such as bootrec and it has been unsuccessful, if there is anyone that can help with this it...
  10. Can't boot, failed startup repair and usual

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Can't boot, failed startup repair and usual: Hello, Please let me know if this is not the right place to post this. I've been having a lot of WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR BSOD lately. At a certain point, trying to debug it, I've had one of them during start up. After that, I've had some CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED BSODs and...