Windows 10: Can’t boot from C Drive after changing admin settings

Discus and support Can’t boot from C Drive after changing admin settings in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hi all, fairly new to this sub. Today upon booting my PC I realised I have a problem with the admin privileges I have (or haven’t) given to users on my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/KingZacc, May 8, 2020.

1. Can’t boot from C Drive after changing admin settings

Hi all, fairly new to this sub. Today upon booting my PC I realised I have a problem with the admin privileges I have (or haven’t) given to users on my PC last night. I was trying to reset my host file, so I was messing with administrator settings to access changes to the file. Today upon booting up, my PC just black screens on my C Drive (SSD) and even my HD. I have no idea how to restore/reset the admin privileges which I changed yesterday but I think this would fix it? Any help is appreciated, thank you.

submitted by /u/KingZacc
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/KingZacc, May 8, 2020
  2. Arun B J Win User

C: Drive Admin Share Keeps Enabling

Hi,

Thank you for your response.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps.

• Press Windows +E,

• Right click on C: drive.

• Select Sharing Tab.

• Click on Advanced Sharing.

• Uncheck “Share this folder”.

Keep us posted on this issue so that we can assist you better.

Arun B J, May 8, 2020
  3. How to change the username in C: drive on Windows 10?

Hi Vasu,

Thank you for responding.

I suggest you to convert the existing account to Microsoft account with administrator privileges and check if it helps.

Step 1: To convert Local account to Microsoft account, follow these steps:

• Make sure you are device is connected to internet.
    • On the newly converted Local account (with no issues), click Start and then Settings.
    • Click Accounts and click on Sign in with a Microsoft account instead.
    • Follow onscreen instructions.

Step 2: I suggest you to enable built-in admin account to change the current user account's type.

Steps to Enable Built-in administrator.

• Press Windows + X key together on your desktop screen.
    • Click on Command Prompt (admin) to open
      Command Prompt
    • Type the following command and hit Enter:
    • net user administrator /active:yes (Check for the spaces)
    4. Now log off from the current user and try to login to the administrator account that is enabled.  

Note: Please follow the same steps and type
    net user administrator /active:no to disable admin account after the troubleshooting is done. 

Step 3: Log-in with the Built-in admin account to change the account type and try the below.

• From Built-in account, press Windows + R keys from the Keyboard.
    • Type netplwiz and click on Ok.
    • Click on the Users tab.
    • Under Users of this computer: select the account you want to change.
    • Click on Properties button.
    • Under Group Membership tab and select Administrator as user account type.
    • Click on Apply and Ok.

Hope it helps. Let us know if you are facing issues changing the user account type, we will help you further.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, May 8, 2020
  4. Namslas90 Win User

Can’t boot from C Drive after changing admin settings

admin password?

Do you have XP on both C and D drives, if so then change jumper on one drive(C) to slave, so you are sure it boots from other drive(D), then try running repair. If it doesn't work then you have changed the pass on other HDD(C). Then you will have to reset pass again on HDD(D),(leave the jumper on C to slave.). After everythng is fixed you will have to choose your boot drive, by either removing XP from one drive or changing(leaving) the jumper on the drive you want to boot from as slave.

Namslas90, May 8, 2020
Thema:

Can’t boot from C Drive after changing admin settings

1. Can’t boot from C Drive after changing admin settings - Similar Threads - Can’t boot Drive

2. Unable to boot from C drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to boot from C drive: This is a 5 yr old custom built machine by Digital Storm. Specs as follows: AMD-FX-6300, 6 cores; MSI MB-970A-G43 Plus; 32 GB DDR3 /RAM; Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti; Windows 10 Home, v 2004. This is my brother's machine which I do most of the upkeep on. The other day I put 2...
  3. C: Windows drive and D: swapped. Windows can’t boot

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    C: Windows drive and D: swapped. Windows can’t boot: Hello. My C: drive which has my Windows files and my local drive D: swapped labels. I tried changing it in Regedit using Microsoft’s guide, but no luck. Reassigning letters in DISKPART doesn’t do anything, either. In BIOS, no boot devices are shown. After installing a...
  4. C: Windows drive and D: swapped and Windows can’t boot

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    C: Windows drive and D: swapped and Windows can’t boot: Hello. My C: drive which has my Windows files and my local drive D: swapped labels. I tried changing it in Regedit using Microsoft’s guide, but no luck. Reassigning letters in DISKPART doesn’t do anything, either. In BIOS, no boot devices are shown. After installing a...
  5. Creating an admin on D drive from C Drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Creating an admin on D drive from C Drive: I currently have an SSD with windows and a HDD with windows 10 downloaded as well. I am currently using the windows 10 on the SSD(C Drive) and was wondering if you can make an admin account on the other windows (D drive) as I have forgotten the admin account password on that...
  6. System Not Booting After Update - Drive Letter Changed From C To E

System Not Booting After Update - Drive Letter Changed From C To E: My system has been unable to boot for a month or so now. Finally bought a new SSD planning to replace my OS drive. An IT friend of the family recently visited and had a look. Diagnosed that the drive letters got changed after an update, or something similar. The system was...
  7. Can’t run as admin and save onto C drive at same time

Can’t run as admin and save onto C drive at same time: I have a issue. Whenever i try to download something onto my C drive it says “a privilege required is not held by the client” i an admin btw and so it said to go onto regedit and change ENABLELUA to 0 but when i do that i can’t run stuff and administrator. So then i found a...
  8. Admin needs admin rights on C: drive file changes ??

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Admin needs admin rights on C: drive file changes ??: Updated 7 to 10 and now having issues with admin rights on my C: drive. I get an annoying warning box every time I try to copy a file to the C: or rename one (saying need admin rights, yet click ok and its fine !). I checked my account and I'm logged in as admin !?. Thanks...
  9. Admin needs admin rights on C: drive file changes ??

in Windows 10 Support
    Admin needs admin rights on C: drive file changes ??: Updated 7 to 10 and now having issues with admin rights on my C: drive. I get an annoying warning box every time I try to copy a file to the C: or rename one (saying need admin rights, yet click ok and its fine !). I checked my account and I'm logged in as admin !?. Thanks...
  10. Change Boot Loader location to C drive?

in Windows 10 Support
    Change Boot Loader location to C drive?: Is it possible to fix so my Boot Manager is on the same drive as the OS? I remember having this problem before, and the solution was to basically install Windows with all other Disks disconnected. Which seems weird, i mean why would it even want to install the loader on...