Windows 10: Can't boot from new drive

Discus and support Can't boot from new drive in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My HP Envy desktop has been working well for three years, until we suddenly started seeing "Hard Disk Failure Is Imminent" error messages at startup.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Touchdown4308, Nov 15, 2018.

1. Can't boot from new drive

My HP Envy desktop has been working well for three years, until we suddenly started seeing "Hard Disk Failure Is Imminent" error messages at startup. I ran the system diagnostics tool, and it reported that our SSD boot drive (we also have a 1TB HDD) was at 95% wear. (I was able to continue starting up after the warning.)

So, I ordered a new SSD (Samsung 860 EVO) and hooked it up to the extra bay slot. I burned the Windows 10 utility/reset onto a DVD and started up from there. I selected to install Windows on the new drive and accepted all the defaults. (Note: I didn't make any partition selections.) All good so far.

I can continue to startup (still seeing the imminent drive warnings, and then am prompted to choose which drive to use for loading Windows: Volume 9 (the new one) or Volume 3 (the original), and am able to startup from either. I was able to transfer files and reinstall software on the new drive. Still good.

However...when I disconnect the original/old drive (with the expectation of retiring it), Windows refuses to startup ("3F0 error or Boot Device Not Found. Please install an operating system on your hard disk"). BIOS utility shows that it sees the drive, and all disk tests (including chkdsk) show good results. And, as mentioned above, if the old drive is plugged back in, the machine starts up and allows me to load windows from either drive. I tried booting from the Windows DVD and performing the automated startup fixes, but it reported that it could not fix anything (with no log files).

So this feels like something is misconfigured on the new drive maybe? Here's the results of the bcdedit command (I booted Windows on my new drive, so C: reflects that), though I'm not sure if there's anything meaningful here:

Can't boot from new drive 62eebfe9-9767-4fac-a4b6-89398a928acb?upload=true.png

Perhaps more tellingly, the Disk Management utility reveals that the old drive includes four partitions (including EFI, which I believe is used for startup), whereas the new drive shows only a single partition...which does include "Boot", FWIW:

Can't boot from new drive 1c671895-f0dd-4eee-82a0-43145980d05c?upload=true.png

Is there anything else I can/should check?

:)

Touchdown4308, Nov 15, 2018
  2. btarunr Win User

Can't boot from DVD drive

Is your controller in RAID/AHCI modes? If so, the DVD drive will be listed as a separate device in the list of available boot devices, not as "CDROM". Remember that when setting boot device priority. Otherwise, read the manual to see which hotkey during POST brings up the boot menu that lets you select which device to boot from. Even here, the drive will be listed separately, and not as "CDROM".

btarunr, Nov 15, 2018
  3. Wiped Hard Drive Can't Boot Vista

I did try every possible boot order and even with deactivated options, which I don't even know how or if that is helpful. I will try the Vista possibilities. The OS was listed in the BIOS, whatever that means, and it said it was a factory version, which I think is a good thing.

The PXE error messages may have occurred when I activated the network adapter and tried that in the boot order. Obviously, I am in way over my head. Thanks for the suggestions!

Techtardette, Nov 15, 2018
  4. Can't boot from new drive

Reinstall Windows 10 to new hard drive

Hi Rodolpho,

We want to know about the issue you're having with your recovery drive. Please answer the questions below:

• Are you trying to reinstall Windows 8 or Windows 10?
    • If you already upgraded to Windows 10, were you able to create a new copy of the recovery drive?

We suggest creating a new copy of the recovery drive and then follow the steps provided by Andre Da Costa above this thread.

Update us with the outcome so we can assist you further.

Robert Caw, Nov 15, 2018
Thema:

Can't boot from new drive

1. Can't boot from new drive - Similar Threads - Can't boot drive

2. Can't change New SSD to boot drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't change New SSD to boot drive: I recently got a new 2 TB M2 SSD to add to my PC. I cloned my current 512 GB SSD onto it and attempted to restart after changing the boot priority in my BIOS but the C drive remained the same. When I disconnected the old SSD my PC would just go to a blue screen right away, I...
  3. Can't change New SSD to boot drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't change New SSD to boot drive: I recently got a new 2 TB M2 SSD to add to my PC. I cloned my current 512 GB SSD onto it and attempted to restart after changing the boot priority in my BIOS but the C drive remained the same. When I disconnected the old SSD my PC would just go to a blue screen right away, I...
  4. Can't change New SSD to boot drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Can't Boot From USB Drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't Boot From USB Drive: I have an older Dell XPS l1521x and I'm trying to do a clean install of Win10. I used Microsoft's Creation Tool to make the usb stick, but when I plug it in and reboot it just goes into Windows. So I went into the bios A18 and saw secure boot was enabled. From reading some...
  6. Can't get windows to boot from new ssd

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't get windows to boot from new ssd: I've transferred everything to my new ssd using macrium reflect, however when I changed the primary boot drive to my new ssd it my pc will not boot and asks me to go back into bios and select a boot device, any help would be appreciated thanks. (sorry if this isn't the right...
  7. New hard drive, cannot boot from USB

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    New hard drive, cannot boot from USB: Recently I made a thread about not being able to boot my computer. I decided to buy a new hard drive in case that one was failing, but still have made no progress. The problem is that whenever I try to boot from the USB, the Windows logo flashes for a second then I'm stuck on...
  8. New hard drive, cannot boot from USB

in Windows 10 Support
    New hard drive, cannot boot from USB: Recently I made a thread about not being able to boot my computer. I decided to buy a new hard drive in case that one was failing, but still have made no progress. The problem is that whenever I try to boot from the USB, the Windows logo flashes for a second then I'm stuck on...
  9. Booting windows from a new drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Booting windows from a new drive: I just got a used PC from my brother, and it still had his old hard drive (which he used to boot from) in it. Well, I got a new SSD and installed windows on it, so it would be faster, etc. Problem is, I wanna wipe his hard drive so I can use both for more space... but it...
  10. Can't boot from newly cloned SSD drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Can't boot from newly cloned SSD drive: Hello, I'm attempting to upgrade my Windows 10 Home 64 bit PC from an HDD to an SSD, both 1TB in size. My goal is to have my SSD as my main boot drive and my HDD as a storage drive for my exceptionally large media files. I've already cloned my original hard drive using...