Windows 10: Can't Boot from Samsung 960 EVO M.2 Drive, Sort Of

Discus and support Can't Boot from Samsung 960 EVO M.2 Drive, Sort Of in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; installed W10 on the above drive. When I try to boot from it, it doesn't work. It says insert boot media. I had already installed W10 on the drive. And... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by jimlau, Aug 17, 2017.

1. jimlau Win User

Can't Boot from Samsung 960 EVO M.2 Drive, Sort Of

installed W10 on the above drive. When I try to boot from it, it doesn't work. It says insert boot media. I had already installed W10 on the drive. And I can see the drive in BIOS and windows explorer when booting from another drive.

Oddly, when I boot from an SSD drive also connected, that works, but it asks if I want to use W10 on Volume 4 or 7. When I choose 4, the Samsung M.2 drive does indeed boot.

Anyone know what is going on? Obviously I want to boot from the M.2 without needing another boot drive.

Thanks.

CPU - i7 6700K
    Board - Z170A M3 Gaming
    RAM - G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM
    OS - Windows 10 Pro
    GPU - none
    Sound Card - None

:)

jimlau, Aug 17, 2017

2. Windows 10 Anniversary update for 32GB eMMC budget laptops?

I have a NUC with i5 processor Bought with 2G Ram and 32G emmc. I had no problem with upgrading to 128G and 4G. I copied the installed emmc using a usb reader to a

Can't Boot from Samsung 960 EVO M.2 Drive, Sort Of [​IMG]

Samsung 250GB 960 Evo M.2 SSD

and samsungs proprietory program to copy installed emmc to samsung then swapped in new hdd no worries afert that

Perhaps ditching your 32G emmc is an answer?

AnthonyGaskin, Aug 17, 2017
  3. Windows 10 not starting after I upgraded bios on MSi B250M Bazooka!

I upgraded my WD blue to an Samasung 850 Evo then a 960 Evo. I first cloned the Hard Disk to the SATA SSD & it worked, then I cloned it to the M.2 NVME SSD & it was starting from the SATA SSD. I had to format both the SATA SSD and Hard Disk to make
    it work on the M.2 NVME. I did that by going into Disk Management & I had to get the drives hot swappable in the bios beforehand. I had my SATA data & power cables off on both Hard Disk & SSD. The NVME M.2 960 Evo worked I got the drives online & I formatted
    them, otherwise it was booting of SATA drives instead of my NVME M.2 no matter how much I fiddled with it in the bios trying to set 960 Evo as the first drive to boot. I recently did a bios update to my MSi B250M Bazooka.

All the drives were installed I did not think to get them offline while I was updating the bios. The only bootable one being 960 Evo M.2 NVME the other 2 formatted. I have looked for a way to do this my self but I didn't make much progress. I managed
    to reinstall Windows on the Sata 850 Evo.

My Computer is a CyberPowerPC ET8282-2162 Model C Series. I upgraded the processor to a i7 7700K from a i5 7400 & changed the video card to a 1080 Ti. I tried to figure out a way of creating a system restore on the 850 Evo & move the file to the 960 Evo
    because it does not see a system restore file created. I tried all the troubleshooting ways possible. I am currently trying to get Windows media creation tool & run that off an USB see if that gives me any other options.

I tried to go to diskpart and listed the volumes & see if I can copy the recovery or system to the 960 Evo NVME M.2 drive but I don't know if it will work or it will still tell me I have no recovery file saved. I should of had 1 when I upgraded to
    fall creators update but it's telling me I don't have one, I don't have other drives where I have Windows 10 clones because I deleted them if 960 Evo got corrupted somehow. Good thing is that I can still see the drive & I haven't lost any files. I have steam
    games bitdefender installed & I still have another 7 months or so out of the subscription. I am afraid with a new install it will see it as a new computer. Is there a way to port over the Apps installed on the 960 Evo to the 850 Evo & then I can clone the
    960 Evo with the fresh install.

I did the same thing on a CyberPowerPC ET8260-5322 I upgraded the CPU to a 1700X changed the ram to 3200 Mhz the videocard stayed the same 580 4Gb. I have the same 960 Evo & Hard Disk in it & I haven't have a problem with it. The Bios update on the
    AMD setup was fine while the Intel suffered. On the AMD I have like 15 days of Kaspersky so I wouldn't of had a problem reinstalling Windows on that anyway + other apps as usual, which will take a while to install. I'd rather not do that if I can.

Thank you for your Help!

Dragos MCraciun, Aug 17, 2017
  4. swarfega Win User

Make sure to change the boot order in BIOS so that the 960 is listed first.

swarfega, Aug 17, 2017
  5. jimlau Win User
    did that. and also unplugged the SSD, leaving just the M.2 doesn't work.

jimlau, Aug 17, 2017
  6. swarfega Win User
    swarfega, Aug 18, 2017
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    The problem is that the OP installed Windows onto the second SSD while the first SSD was still connected. Instead of putting separate boot files on the second SSD, it set up dual booting off the first SSD.

NavyLCDR, Aug 18, 2017
  8. swarfega Win User

Thanks for making that concise Navy. It I were faced with that situation I would unplug the first SSD, install Windows on to the new 960 then plug the old SSD back in and format it (after backing up any personal files).

swarfega, Aug 18, 2017
  9. jimlau Win User
    feeling dumb. looks like I didn't disconnect all other drives when installing. Never had that problem before. Anyway, thanks much.

jimlau, Aug 18, 2017
  10. swarfega Win User
    np, its best to unplug any secondary drives if you're doing a clean install.

swarfega, Aug 18, 2017
  11. NavyLCDR New Member
    All you have to do is shrink the OS partition by 100 MB, create an EFI System partition, and use the bcdboot command to put the boot files on it.

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Can't Boot from Samsung 960 EVO M.2 Drive, Sort Of - Similar Threads - Can't Boot Samsung

2. Migrating OS from Kingston SSD to Samsung Evo 970 plus M.2

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Migrating OS from Kingston SSD to Samsung Evo 970 plus M.2: [ATTACH] I have recently cloned my OS from my old ssd to my new m2. I can see that the files are the same and they are equal in used space. I can not however get my pc to boot from this new file. If I go to bios and select boot order, the M.2 does not show up. 2 of my...
  3. Samsung M.2 SSD 970 EVO PLUS

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Samsung M.2 SSD 970 EVO PLUS: I have recently got an new m.2 SSD and wanted to install it to my motherboard. After doing so I encountered and error stating "Boot from proper device". My HDD has my OS on it and changed the order of boot in the bios but still ran into the issue stated. tried many things...
  4. Upgrading my Samsung EVO NVMe M.2 drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Upgrading my Samsung EVO NVMe M.2 drive: I'm looking for advice about upgrading my NVMe drive on my desktop PC. My Windows 10 desktop PC uses a 250Gb Samsung EVO NVMe M.2 as the boot (C:) drive. I recently bought a Samsung 500Gb EVO Plus NVMe M.2 to upgrade it. What's the best way to do this? Or must I replace the...
  5. Samsung SSD 970 EVO M.2

in Windows 10 Customization
    Samsung SSD 970 EVO M.2: Hi I recently installed Samsung SSD 970 EVO M.2 on my Dell Inspiron 3268. Using Samsung Data migration tool, I copied my OS to SSD and wanted to make SSD as my boot drive, but is not getting shown up in BIOS as boot option. I can see PCI as loaded in BIOS, can also see...
  6. MS Certified Driver for Samsung EVO 970 M.2 Drives

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    MS Certified Driver for Samsung EVO 970 M.2 Drives: I am finishing a new build with new Win10 Pro Retail Software using Samsung EVO 970 Series Drives. The new Win10 Pro software sees the Drives (which are also seen by the UEFI bios) and tells me to install a new driver for them. I had previously downloaded the current driver...
  7. NVMe vs SATA for M.2 SSD? Samsung 970 EVO

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    NVMe vs SATA for M.2 SSD? Samsung 970 EVO: What kind of M.2 do I have? NVMe vs SATA? That is the question here! Hi! I have this notebook: Dell G3 5379 and want to get a fast SSD Drive. Will this one fit? I'm confused about NVMe. My notebook has an M.2 slot and so far I only used traditional SATA 2.5" SSD drives....
  8. Samsung 960 EVO NVMe performance...

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Samsung 960 EVO NVMe performance...: My new system is based on the Asus Prime Z370-A MB, that has two PCIe (x4), M.2_1 and M.2_2. Both of the sockets are populated with Samsung SSD 960 EVO 250 GB M.2 cards. Windows 10 setup had selected the M.2_1 drive and installed without any issues. Windows 10 is up to...
  9. Samsung introduces the Samsung 970 PRO and EVO NVMe M.2 SSDs

in Windows 10 News
    Samsung introduces the Samsung 970 PRO and EVO NVMe M.2 SSDs: Case King here in Germanyalready has the 970s on order. Here are the prices for us here: [img]
  10. New Samsung 960 PRO and EVO Solid State Drives

in Windows 10 News
    New Samsung 960 PRO and EVO Solid State Drives: [img] Samsung Electronics, a worldwide leader in advanced memory solutions for more than two decades, today unveiled the Samsung 960 PRO and 960 EVO, its newest solid state drives (SSDs). The V-NAND based, M.2 form factor SSDs were built on the company’s category-defining...