Windows 10: Can't boot from usb dvd

Discus and support Can't boot from usb dvd in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi Roomies @, I just upgrade to Win 10 PRO 1511 on my Lenovo laptop and burned a win 10 pro DVD. I would like to do a clean install but I'm not able... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ered, Nov 18, 2015.

1. ered Win User

Can't boot from usb dvd

Hi Roomies @,

I just upgrade to Win 10 PRO 1511 on my Lenovo laptop and burned a win 10 pro DVD. I would like to do a clean install but I'm not able to find my DVD drive on Bios or boot manager. Can someone please help me? Here are some images .

Can't boot from usb dvd [​IMG]

:)

2. EKHTHOS Win User

Windows Display does not work at start up

Thank you for your reply

I have the iso file USB stick , the default boot is from hard drive . i can't see the display to change it to boot from dvd or USB .

EKHTHOS, Nov 18, 2015
  3. neilpzz Win User
    Trying to reset a W10 PC after a free upgrade to sell on.

Did you use the Media Creation Tool to create your Windows 10 installation media. If you can't get your PC to boot from a USB then you should create a boot DVD. If you download the Windows 10 ISO you can use this to create a boot DVD.

neilpzz, Nov 18, 2015
  4. spapakons Win User

Can't boot from usb dvd

Look in General section in BIOS (could be elsewhere). Is your DVD detected as a device? It could have a problem. Switch off your computer, remove power and SATA cable from DVD and leave it for a few minutes. Connect the Cables again and go into BIOS. Can you see it? You can also try using a different power and/or SATA cable, if available.

If it is a notebook you can try to remove the screw holding it in place, remove it and place it again.

spapakons, Nov 18, 2015
  5. ered Win User
    Hi Spapakons, I have a laptop and my portable DVD writer is been detected and it works just fine. I was able to burn Win 10 on it.
    My problem is that I don't see it on my Bios or Boot Manager and I don't know what to do.
    I did what you said, but still nothing.

6. robgr Win User
    robgr, Nov 18, 2015
  7. Select "USB CD" from the list and see what happens. How did you burn your DVD, are you sure its bootable?

alphanumeric, Nov 18, 2015
  8. spapakons Win User

Can't boot from usb dvd

If the internal DVD shows in BIOS but not in boot selection, then maybe boot from DVD is disabled in BIOS. Have a closer look. If it doesn't show in BIOS as a device, try to remove it and put it back. A bad connection can cause problems. It may as well need replacement.

spapakons, Nov 18, 2015
  9. On my laptop, if there is no bootable media in my optical drive, it does not show up in the quick boot menu. It's not listed at all as a boot option.

10. robgr Win User
    Set Boot Mode to 'Legacy Support' in Boot menu, don't forget to change it back afterwards

robgr, Nov 18, 2015
  11. ered Win User
    @ sorry, I gave up!! nothing concrete to be able to do a clean install. I did try your link.

12. ered Win User
    I DL from the link here (MS) and burned it with IMGburn. I thought all ISO from MS are bootable!! I did, I was able to select USB CD, ...but still not bootable.

13. Brink
    Brink New Member

Can't boot from usb dvd

Brink, Nov 18, 2015
  14. OS install ISO's are yes. Try Brink's suggestion, USB thumb drive. I do all my installs from thumb drives. It's a lot faster than doing it from optical media. I use diskpart to create mine.

15. AndreyT Win User
    Usually when you request a CD/DVD boot, at boot time BIOS displays a message saying something like "Press any key to boot from CD/DVD..." or something like that (depends on BIOS version). If you fail to press that "any key" in the allotted period of time, the boot procedure will ignore your CD/DVD drive and proceed to the regular boot source. People often make that mistake: request a CD/DVD boot, hit reset button and then just go off to "poor myself a cup of coffee". Once they come back, they begin to wonder why their request to boot from CD/DVD "did not work".

Does your machine display any prompt of that kind?

AndreyT, Nov 18, 2015
Thema:

Can't boot from usb dvd

1. Can't boot from usb dvd - Similar Threads - Can't boot usb

2. Can't Boot From Windows 10 Install from USB/DVD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't Boot From Windows 10 Install from USB/DVD: Hi all, I currently have the "Your PC needs to be repaired" error so I'm trying to reinstall windows 10 completely. I used Microsoft's bootable media to create both a bootable USB and DVD (I also tried using Rufus to format it) but both don't seem to boot properly. When I...
  3. Unable to Boot from HD, DVD or USB

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Unable to Boot from HD, DVD or USB: I tried to restart my 'backup' PC , after a couple of weeks off , and got a message saying "The PC has run into a problem and we will restart it" It then says Preparing Automatic Repair before setting off into a repeat cycle, i tried to boot from a USB Recovery and a DVD with...
  4. New PC will not boot from USB or DVD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    New PC will not boot from USB or DVD: I am building a new PC and, when I try to boot the machine from either a USB created by the Media Recovery tool, or from the proper Windows 10 DVD that I bought, the machine simply goes to BSOD and gives me error codes, mostly SYSTEM PTE MISUSE or PAGE ERROR FOUND IN...
  5. Booting from USB stick or DVD

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Booting from USB stick or DVD: Imagine a computer where W10 is running on an SSD. I have a USB stick and/or a DVD which contain a bootable version of W10 (probably made from Microsoft's Media Creation Tool). After a fault, the plan is that after tickling F12 (in my case) the above bootable version could be...
  6. Cannot set 'boot from USB DVD'

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cannot set 'boot from USB DVD': I have a new HP X360 14-ba151sa with Insyde BIOS. Yesterday I created a Macrium recovery disk, went into BIOS and moved USB CD/DVD to top of the list, F10 and exit. The system booted from DVD OK. Today, I wanted to boot from the DVD again, but this time the little arrow is...
  7. Stuck at splash screen, can't boot from USB or DVD

in Windows 10 Support
    Stuck at splash screen, can't boot from USB or DVD: Symptoms: Windows infinite circle of dots when booting. (PC was a fresh install months ago, and was working fine until returning from vacation). Hard drive light goes solid during attempts to boot (during splash screen). Diagnostic repair begins to load, but never...
  8. Boot From USB/DVD

Boot From USB/DVD: I am so confused I don't know whether I'm coming or going. I want to install/dual boot Windows 10 with Windows 8, but with the tutorial, there's so much Win 7/Win 8, 8.1 included that I'm crosseyed! HP Pavilion g Series Windows 8.1 Pro laptop with BIOS, not UEFI. I want...
  9. Can't boot x64 Win10 setup from USB or DVD

Can't boot x64 Win10 setup from USB or DVD: Trying to do a clean install booting from DVD or USB created w Media Creation Tool: Windows 7 x86 and x64 boots from DVD or USB Windows 10 x86, boots from DVD or USB. Windows 10 x64, from DVD loads the blue window and then nothing more. Have to switch off/on to get out...
  10. Can't access BIOS, Can't boot from USB/DVD

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't access BIOS, Can't boot from USB/DVD: Hi My problem is that I can't access UEFI Firmware settings or Boot from USB/DVD in the Advanced startup. They are missing. What can I do? I want to go back to windows 8.1 (Don't have windows.old folder), but it gives me an error when I install it when windows is running....