Windows 10: Can't boot from USB while HDD is connected

Discus and support Can't boot from USB while HDD is connected in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I'm trying to boot a non-working-windows laptop from an external HDD with bootable windows installation in order to access repair tools, and it is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Samer Massad, Nov 5, 2018.

1. Can't boot from USB while HDD is connected

I'm trying to boot a non-working-windows laptop from an external HDD with bootable windows installation in order to access repair tools, and it is working fine as it is tested on a working machine.
    The boot order in BIOS is fine, the external HDD is set as the 1st priority and HDD as the last one.

Now, when booting without connecting the external bootable HDD, Windows takes too much time loading itself but then goes to "Preparing automatic repair" for couple of seconds before it goes to a black screen, and that is why I want to access repair tools.

When connecting the external HDD and booting with the right boot sequence, I can see the external HDD light blinking indicating that the laptop is reading the content, but then goes immediately into the black screen, without going through Preparing automatic repairs and much faster than the previous case.

If I physically disconnect the internal HDD and boot, the laptop can successfully boot from the external HDD, but obviously that does not help me repair Windows as it is disconnected.

RAM and Video card are okay since I am able to boot from USB while disconnecting the HDD.
    I really can't find any logic in this problem, and I really appreciate any help.

:)

Samer Massad, Nov 5, 2018

2. HDD in a HDD caddy is not showing up in the disk management

Hi,

To assist you better, I would like to ask some questions:

• How are you connecting the HDD Caddy?
    • What is the make and model of your computer?

If you are connecting the device using USB, I suggest you to check if other USB devices are recognized as USB devices or Other device. If it is displaying as other device, then the issue might be with the USB port. So, I suggest you to update the USB drivers
    by following the steps below:

• Press Windows key + X, select Device Manager.
    • Expand Universal Serial Bus Controller.
    • Right click on the drive, select Update Driver Software and follow the on-screen prompts.

Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, Nov 6, 2018
  3. Boot from external USB HDD

Hello!

Any laptop should be able to Be booted from an external HDD.

You can check this back accessing your BIOS and then checking if the BIOS gives you an option to boot from USB.

If that option is listed, then you're good to go!

Zackary Vanosdol, Nov 6, 2018
  4. Lazzer408 Win User

Can't boot from USB while HDD is connected

Booting from USB on x38 Motherboard, NOT?

Typically the USB should be listed under the hard drive boot order. Set your "Boot Device Priority" to HDD first, then set the hard drive boot order to the USB stick first.

Can't boot from USB while HDD is connected bios_asus-jpg.jpg

Lazzer408, Nov 6, 2018
Thema:

Can't boot from USB while HDD is connected

1. Can't boot from USB while HDD is connected - Similar Threads - Can't boot USB

2. Booting from USB SATA HDD?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Booting from USB SATA HDD?: I just found my old HDD with Windows 7. I just plugged it into my current W10 PC (via USB-SATA adapter), i used EasyBCD and selected the drive letter of my W7HDD (G:) and added that as boot entry But when restarting, selecting the W7 entry, it shows me black screen, and no...
  3. Can't boot from USB

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can't boot from USB: Hello my name is Ashan.My problem is I can't boot from my USB flash drive. There is no os in my hard drive. And also I don'the have a dvd rom. So my only option is to use USB.When I do boot my pc with USB, it shows the basic steps of the setupchoosing the keyboard layout etc...
  4. windows hdd wont boot from usb

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    windows hdd wont boot from usb: Removed a windows 10 hdd and installed a new ssd. When trying to boot old hdd from usb,, I keep getting a boot failure loop. I think i need to make a change to the boot partition on old windows hdd but not really sure....can anyone point me in the right direction?thankskev...
  5. Boot hangs with usb HDD connected

in Windows 10 Support
    Boot hangs with usb HDD connected: I have a toshiba 3Tb usb hdd for backup. Like the title says the boot hangs if it's attached. I just changed machine and reinstalled windows, and it still happens. It hangs just after the blue Windows appear. It is marked INactive. The boot order in the bios is SSD...
  6. Can't get Acer Aspire E15 to boot from usb or external hdd

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't get Acer Aspire E15 to boot from usb or external hdd: Hello, My wife's Acer Aspire E15 (model N15Q1) bit the dust a few days ago. The screen was black, the mouse pointer is visible and I can move it, but can't actually do anything. Pressing the Windows key doesn't bring up the Start menu. Alt-Ctrl-Del brings up the screen to...
  7. Can't boot SSD without HDD connected

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't boot SSD without HDD connected: In my desktop i7 machine, Windows 10 1909: I just bought an SSD and then cloned my C: hard drive to the SSD. The SSD boots (very fast) and functions perfectly - only if I have the HDD also connected. It won't boot on the SSD alone, I get a 'PC needs repair' message. (If I...
  8. Boot loop while trying to boot from USB.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Boot loop while trying to boot from USB.: Hi, so I picked up a Dell Dimension 5150 from a friend because he didn’t use it anymore and I found that it had no OS installed. So I tried using a USB to boot Windows 10 onto it and its stuck in a booting loop and won’t go any further. Any tips or things i’m doing wrong?...
  9. Can't boot from USB

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't boot from USB: Hello. I had planned to perform a clean install of Windows 10 (I have a 32-bit now and want to change it to 64-bit). However, I cannot find any options for accessing my USB upon boot up, after going to Settings>Recovery>Advanced Startup>Restart Now. I also have the Legacy...
  10. Can't boot from USB

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can't boot from USB: I have a Hp pavillion. I made a usb flash boot drive with acronis 2016 I cant boot to it. This tutorial says that I must boot from within windows 10. I dont see in this post how to do that I only see it fort 8 is 8 the the same. ? 53114