Windows 10: can't boot Grub2 with Win10 BCD boot manager

Discus and support can't boot Grub2 with Win10 BCD boot manager in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; For years, I've been able to switch back and forth between Ubuntu's Grub boot manager and Windows 7's boot manager on my laptop's SSD before actually... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by TimDaniels, Nov 23, 2018.

1. can't boot Grub2 with Win10 BCD boot manager

For years, I've been able to switch back and forth between Ubuntu's Grub boot manager and Windows 7's boot manager on my laptop's SSD before actually selecting one or the other OS to boot. When I selected Windows on the Grub menu, the Win7 boot manager would present its menu which included Ubuntu. If I then selected Ubuntu, Grub would bring up its boot menu which included Windows. But now, with Win10, selecting Ubuntu from the Windows boot menu doesn't launch Ubuntu's Grub2, but instead results in a BIOS POST. (My laptop doesn't have UEFI.) With Grub, I am still able to select either to launch Ubuntu 18.04 or to launch Windows 10's boot manager, so I can thereby run either OS. The aesthetic objection is the asymetry, and the problem is almost certainly with Windows 10's BCD operation.

Running "bcdedit /v" in Win10's Powershell, the Ubuntu entry seen is:

Real-mode Boot Sector
    ---------------------
    identifier {916e05e4-d073-11e8-a243-001e4ce02067}
    device partition=C:
    path \mbr.bin
    description Ubuntu 18.04

where \mbr.bin is a copy of the SSD device MBR after Ubuntu was installed. It presumably is fine because as the 1st 512 bytes of the SSD, it gets control from the BIOS and causes Ubuntu's Grub2 boot manager to launch, from which I can select either Ubuntu or Windows. But for some reason, \mbr.bin doesn't seem to work. When I run "dir" on Powershell, it shows the attributes of \mbr.bin to be -a---- . Is that enough attribute to allow the system to run it? Or should I add some other file attribute(s) to allow it to run?

:)

TimDaniels, Nov 23, 2018
  2. hellrazor Win User

Boot manager?

Grub2 is all you'll ever need, and Ubuntu should have installed it so make sure you didn't have whatever virus-protection-won't-let-you-fuck-with-the-mbr crap on when you installed it and that you're booting from the right drive.

hellrazor, Nov 23, 2018
  3. Windows defender offline error: EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD - 0xc0000185

Hi Dave,

Could you provide us additional information to assist you better with this issue:

• What is the make and model of your device?
    • Have you made any changes to the operating system prior to this issue?
    • Are you able to boot the device to desktop with this error message?

This issue might have occurred due to corruption in the boot files or BOIS unable to detect your drive to boot.

I suggest you to refer to the below thread, check if your issue matches with the same.

If so, try the troubleshooting steps suggested by -.[Final]#[Boss].- and check if
    it helps.

Error code after update File:\EFI\Microsoft\Boot BCD
    Error Code 0xc0000185 BSOD

Hope this information is helpful.

SujataMoktan, Nov 23, 2018
  4. can't boot Grub2 with Win10 BCD boot manager

Can Windows Boot Manager boot Linux in UEFI system with GPT M.2 disk?

Hello,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

EasyBCD controls the Windows boot menu, and has traditionally been used as the primary boot manager. With EasyBCD, it is possible to add entries for Linux and older versions of Windows to the top-level BCD menu seen when your machine first boots. Since the
    Windows boot manager running in UEFI mode does not support the loading of legacy and non-Microsoft operating systems, another option is possible.

When installing Linux or any other 3rd party OS that ships with its own bootloader, instead of choosing to install GRUB to the bootsector as is traditionally done when opting to use EasyBCD to control your boot menu, choose to install GRUB to the MBR (or
    disk, in this case) and make it the main bootloader for your PC. You can add the Windows boot menu to the GRUB2 EFI boot menu – in this case, you’ll see GRUB’s boot menu when your PC starts, and from there you can choose Windows. You can still use EasyBCD
    to control the Windows boot menu and set up multi-boots and re-configure Windows entries in the BCD boot menu, but with the GRUB2 EFI menu loading first, you can use that to boot into Linux and to chainload NTLDR to boot into Windows 10.

As the Windows is booting fine and have issues with loading the Linux using its boot loader, I suggest you to
    contact the Ubuntu Support and check if it helps.

Refer: Ubuntu Support

Hope this information helps. Keep us posted to help you better if you are facing any further issues in Windows.

Sachin Venkatesh, Nov 23, 2018
Thema:

can't boot Grub2 with Win10 BCD boot manager

1. can't boot Grub2 with Win10 BCD boot manager - Similar Threads - can't boot Grub2

2. Microsoft BCD BOOT INSTALL

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Microsoft BCD BOOT INSTALL: Windows 10 BCD BOOT INSTALL for 0xc000000225,0xc0000001. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-bcd-boot-install/7f2e0bed-cffb-4551-901e-28da8231ea63
  3. Easy BCD boot assistance

Easy BCD boot assistance: HP G6 i3 usb2.0 laptop. Came with Win 7 Home on a 5400rpm HD. Got USB 3.0 10 port powered hub. Installed new Samsung SSD with Win 10 on 1st of three partitions. Win 8.1 and Linux on other partitions. Works Fine. Need to boot to external 5400rpm HD via USB to run work related...
  4. Can't boot into Win10

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't boot into Win10: I had a working win10 pro install and wanted to create a fresh install on another SSD and slowly build it back up to my current install. After creating a Win10 USB installer I booted it up and created my fresh install on the other SSD sucessfully. When I try to boot back into...
  5. Windows 10 not booting using Grub2

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 not booting using Grub2: Recently I decided to partition my laptop so that I could have two operating systems on it, those systems being Windows 10 and Debian 9 (this is mainly for work). Everything was ok with the install of Debian, however, when I wanted to switch back to Windows, it didn't work....
  6. boot BCD 0xc0000034

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    boot BCD 0xc0000034: ช่วยทีครับคอมขึ้น boot BCD 0xc0000034 แล้วพอเปิดไว้สักพักเครื่องรีสต๊าทตลอดเลย แล้วก็ปิดเครื่องไม่ได้ ปิดปุ๊ปก็เปิดใหม่ตลอดต้องถอดปลั๊กอย่างเดียว https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/boot-bcd-0xc0000034/f8ad963c-967b-4462-b369-f966c84c60b8
  7. Boot Error BCD 0x000000d Can't Recover, Can't Restore

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Boot Error BCD 0x000000d Can't Recover, Can't Restore: I've been all over the internet trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong here. Win 10 on my Asus S56C (originally Win8 but upgraded) crashed. I was able to boot from a USB key. Repair system does not work Tried system restore but I get an error message which reads "Restart...
  8. Windows Boot Manager EFI\Microsoft\boot\bcd status 0xc0000225

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Boot Manager EFI\Microsoft\boot\bcd status 0xc0000225: Hello all I am currently having trouble booting into windows 10.I have tried to do a automatic repair from the media creation tool, troubleshoot using command prompt. I have tried using diskpart but nothing works, i dont know if i missing something please help....
  9. Can't rebuild bcd or boot into uefi

Can't rebuild bcd or boot into uefi: I get error code 0xc000000f when i boot into windows from the install disk I did a ubuntu install that went bad now when i try to boot up windows it goes to the grub command line. so far i tried these bootrec /fixboot (doesnt fail) bootrec /fixmbr (doesnt fail) bootrec...
  10. \Boot\BCD Error 0xc000000f Can't boot Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    \Boot\BCD Error 0xc000000f Can't boot Windows 10: Hi, I have a problem with my W10 system, it is not booting and whatever I try is not working. I can't refresh/repair the PC because my drive is "locked" Startup repair doesn't work, no explanation. None of the solutions the Windows 10 DVD/media offers works I tried...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. grub bcd windows phone