Windows 10: Can't Boot into Cloned Drive to Delete Old Drive

Discus and support Can't Boot into Cloned Drive to Delete Old Drive in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi I recently cloned my SSD using Clonezilla and was trying to boot into the new cloned drive to reformat the old drive so I can use it for normal... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by jlay529, Mar 15, 2021.

1. jlay529 Win User

Can't Boot into Cloned Drive to Delete Old Drive

Hi I recently cloned my SSD using Clonezilla and was trying to boot into the new cloned drive to reformat the old drive so I can use it for normal storage. Both SSD's use the NVMe M.2 format but my motherboard only has space for one of them so I bought a PCIe adapter for the other one. My current setup is new bigger SSD in motherboard M.2 slot and my old SSD is in the PCIe adapter.

I have tested that the new drive works by booting into it but I am having an issue when plugging both SSD's into the motherboard. Even if I change the boot order in UEFI settings, it is still booting to original SSD. On disk management the original disk was Disk 0 and the cloned disk was offline as Disk 1. I found some threads about disk collision signatures and cloned drives so I brought Disk 1 online and it became a D: drive. But now when I remove the old drive and only try to boot into the new drive I get a Windows Error

Current disk management screen:

Can't Boot into Cloned Drive to Delete Old Drive [​IMG]

I am running Windows 10 Build 19041.867.

:)

jlay529, Mar 15, 2021
  2. DaveM121 Win User

I have cloned Windows 10 drive and I am trying to boot this drive using bcdedit.

Hi Simon,

If I understand correctly, you cloned you drive onto another physically separate drive

You are trying to boot from that drive

Is the old drive still connected to your Motherboard, when you try to boot from the cloned drive?

Have you tried connecting the cloned drive to the SATA port the old drive was connected to, remove the old drive and then try booting your system - does the cloned drive then boot?

DaveM121, Mar 15, 2021
  3. jpsnow72 Win User
    Unable to boot into cloned drive after formatting old drive

I have an HP Omen laptop with a standard SATA hard drive and a recently purchased M.2 PCIe SSD.

I cloned the SATA drive onto the M2, but had trouble cloning all partitions. I have the System partition, Reserved and the Primary.

After cloning, I attempted to boot into the new hard drive. I had some problems setting the BIOS to automatically boot into my new hard drive. It would load the old one or give me "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key" if I manually went directly to it.

I finally was able to get it to work, by going into change the boot order and then:

1. Boot From EFIFile
    2. Chose my PCIe HD
    3. EFI
    4. Boot
    5. BootX64.efi

This worked without problem and booted into my M2 (fast!). I wasn't happy that it didnt boot directly to it though, so based on a comment that I read, I cleaned my old hard drive, removing everything from it. So now my new drive is the only one with anything. (I know this was stupid...)

After doing that, I not longer can use the steps above to get into the M2 SSD. The computer takes me straight to recovery, but I don't have a recovery partition anymore.

I made a Win 10 install USB and am about ready to do a full re-install of WIndows 10, but I was hoping someone may have some options to save my cloned drive. Since I have the Bootable USB, I now have access to a CMD prompt. Is there anything I can do to tell the system that it should boot to that hard drive?

Please note, my computer was using UEFI, but I have since tried setting the BIOS to legacy. I have tried both ways. My new M2 SSD was formatted as GPT. I don't know much about this and assume this may be related to my problem.

jpsnow72, Mar 15, 2021
  4. Can't Boot into Cloned Drive to Delete Old Drive

cloneing a drive in windows 10

Hi,I have this question last year,but my os is windows 8.there are my steps of

How to clone drive in winodws

,you can check.hope that helps

First,I download a free tool of MiniTool partition wizard and launch it.

Step 1. Connect SSD to Windows 8. Install and launch MiniTool Partition Wizard Free Edition, select the source hard drive and then choose “Copy

Step 2. Select a disk to copy the source disk. Here you are expected to choose the SSD (we choose disk 3).

Note: All the data on SSD will be destroyed, so make sure you have done backup in advance. You are allowed to clone a hard drive to a smaller SSD, as long as it can hold all data in the source disk. You can also clone SSD to larger SSD by using MiniTool
    Partition Wizard Free Edition.

Step 3. Review the changes you are going to make and also change the copy options if necessary.

Step 4. MiniTool Partition Wizard will tell you how to boot from the destination hard drive. So if you are cloning boot drive to SSD, you need to pay attention.

Step 5. When you are lead to the main interface again, you can preview the changes you are going to make from the middle pane. (Here disk 3 has the same disk layout with disk 1.) If you confirm these
    changes, you should click “Apply” to make the changes effective. Hope that helps

Areil.Bart, Mar 15, 2021
Thema:

Can't Boot into Cloned Drive to Delete Old Drive

1. Can't Boot into Cloned Drive to Delete Old Drive - Similar Threads - Can't Boot Cloned

2. Cloning boot drive to an SSD, cannot boot with cloned drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Cloning boot drive to an SSD, cannot boot with cloned drive: I'm sure I screwed something up, but here's my situation. I bought an SSD, unfortunately a little smaller than I should have. In using free Macrium Reflect software to clone my original main drive, I realized I needed a few more gigs of space. The operation requires moving...
  3. Clone of a Bootable Flash Drive will not Boot

in Windows 10 Support
    Clone of a Bootable Flash Drive will not Boot: I'm attempting to make a clone of a bootable flash drive containing the Prime Expert Emergency Book kit using EraseUs Partition Master. The clone seems to seems the same contents as the original, but the drive is not bootable. Cockpit error?Possible, but earlier I used Aomei...
  4. Cloned drive won’t boot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cloned drive won’t boot: I copied my upgraded OS from a suspected failing 13yr-old Seagate 160GB (keeps crashing) onto a WDC 500GB using MiniTool Partition Wizard – How to migrate OS to SSD/HD, but the cloned drive won’t boot, it just shows a DOS screen with the letter j followed by a blinking...
  5. Cloning old drive before installing new drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Cloning old drive before installing new drive: Could you point me in the right direction please ? I have a 120g SSD which I need to replace so I need to clone it so as to re-assign the content to the Adata M.2, PCIe target disc, the slot which is currently held by the 120g will be disabled when I connect the M.2 yet it...
  6. Can't boot from newly cloned SSD drive

Can't boot from newly cloned SSD drive: Hello, I'm attempting to upgrade my Windows 10 Home 64 bit PC from an HDD to an SSD, both 1TB in size. My goal is to have my SSD as my main boot drive and my HDD as a storage drive for my exceptionally large media files. I've already cloned my original hard drive using...
  7. Cloned a drive successfully, now cannot disable the old drive?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cloned a drive successfully, now cannot disable the old drive?: I cloned my storage drive successfully. But now I cannot disable that drive in Device Manager. The option is just not there. The drive (J) originally had my windows paging file on it, and Disk Management refused to change the drive letter after I had cloned it. I had to use...
  8. Cloned Boot Drive won't boot

in Windows 10 Support
    Cloned Boot Drive won't boot: Update: Whilst typing up all that I’d done so far, I managed to solve it, but posting anyway in case of help to others. Apologies in advance for being a newbie and the probably obvious mistakes made here. I had a Windows 10 Pro install on a 128GB SSD. It was full so I...
  9. Cloned drive won’t boot up

Cloned drive won’t boot up: I am very new at this. I have a HP ProBook 4540. A diagnostic test said the hard drive was failing. I cloned the old hard drive to an identical new one using EaseUS. Everything seemed fine. I then installed the new drive into the laptop and this message comes up: BootDevice...
  10. Cloned drive will not boot

Cloned drive will not boot: Hi guys I'm a little embarrassed to ask for help from a cloning operation, being an IT guy...but this one has me stumped. Short background: Bought a inexpensive Acer laptop (R 15) Seemed like a great deal for under $499, great screen, good video, Intel i5. But got it...