Windows 10: Can't Boot Into default Windows Partition

Discus and support Can't Boot Into default Windows Partition in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have not been able to boot into the Windows 10 default partition for some time. I am running Windows 10 Home. Version 20H2, OS Build 19042.746. When... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Brentg, Mar 20, 2021.

1. Brentg Win User

Can't Boot Into default Windows Partition

I have not been able to boot into the Windows 10 default partition for some time. I am running Windows 10 Home. Version 20H2, OS Build 19042.746.
    When I attempt to boot normally the windows boot manager comes up and says that windows cannot boot. I have two partitions on my computer and I made the one that I cannot boot into, so I could slowly migrate programs from my old partition to the new one, since I was having many issues with the old partition when Windows Update ran.
    When the Windows Boot Manager comes up, the only way I can get into either partition is to choose the F1 option and "choose another operating system", at which time I can only choose the old partition which is not the default partition.
    My hard drive is set as the default boot device in the bios.
    I have tried to install Windows 10 pro, to no avail, since it has to reboot many times and there is the issue of not being able to boot normally.
    I have tried all the other options offered by the Windows Boot manager, such as "repair startup errors, uninstall updates, choose restore points, command prompt commands such as check disk, repair mbr, rebuild bcd, etc.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

:)

Brentg, Mar 20, 2021
  2. W1zzard Win User

W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, Mar 20, 2021
  3. Dandel Win User
    How to go about building a tri-boot system?

i dual boot all the time, and going in to tri boot is easy.

step 1) partition the drive in to 3 partitions ( leaving 1 empty for the linux installer. )
    step 2) install windows on the first 2 partitions.
    step 3) install linux, and let it auto partition the remaining space. ( i recommend at least 30gb of space for linux, because it will make things a lot easier. )

step 4) enjoy.

Dandel, Mar 20, 2021
  4. Can't Boot Into default Windows Partition

Boot windows installation within a partition?

Damnit, I knew thats what you wanted with your first post! I deleted my post because JMCSLOB confused me lol.

Hm, if you Follow this guide (Replace words "flash driive" with 160GB hard drive) How to Create a Bootable Windows 7 or Vista USB Drive for both partitions and then to do a dummy install of windows 8 on the last part of the HDD it should give you the option to boot Windows 7/8 Installer or boot into windows 8.
    Edit: On step 4 you will want to make sure you size the partition correctly... or you can use the windows gui tool in control panel.

Once you get that far you can just delete windows 8 from the boot menu using MSCONFIG and delete the partition.

slyfox2151, Mar 20, 2021
Thema:

Can't Boot Into default Windows Partition

1. Can't Boot Into default Windows Partition - Similar Threads - Can't Boot default

2. Can't boot into my hp recovery partition anymore

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't boot into my hp recovery partition anymore: I wanted to try out Linux on my old HP laptop to see if it will run better. I couldn't use some programs on linux and I got tired of trying to fix issues. I decided to reinstall Windows on my laptop. Since I deleted my previous Windows installation the recovery partition...
  3. Can't boot into my hp recovery partition anymore

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't boot into my hp recovery partition anymore: I wanted to try out Linux on my old HP laptop to see if it will run better. I couldn't use some programs on linux and I got tired of trying to fix issues. I decided to reinstall Windows on my laptop. Since I deleted my previous Windows installation the recovery partition...
  4. boot partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    boot partition: Virtual Disk Service error: Clean is not allowed on the disk containing the current boot, system, pagefile, crashdump or hibernation volume.I am getting this error in my diskpart while cleaning my second ssd which doesnt have windows. I want to shift this current boot system,...
  5. boot partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    boot partition: Virtual Disk Service error: Clean is not allowed on the disk containing the current boot, system, pagefile, crashdump or hibernation volume.I am getting this error in my diskpart while cleaning my second ssd which doesnt have windows. I want to shift this current boot system,...
  6. Deleted windows boot partition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Deleted windows boot partition: Hello everyone, I had windows 10 installed on my laptop, it was not activated btw , for some reason i switched to manjaro linux and i chose to erase all the data in my disk , now I wan't windows back , I can't find it on the boot menu .How do i get it back ??...
  7. Dual boot windows overwrote boot partition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dual boot windows overwrote boot partition: Hi so I have had a Windows 10 install on my PC for around 3 years and wanted to try the new Windows 10 insider builds and so I created a separate Windows 10 install on another drive in my PC so it doesn’t conflict with my main Windows 10 install however the new install has...
  8. Can't boot into Win10 after deleting linux partition

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't boot into Win10 after deleting linux partition: Ok so, I screwed up somethings and I am a by no means a pc expert so I need someone with more knowledge about this stuff. It happened when I deleted 2 partitions from my SSD where kali linux was located, which I dual booted with Windows 10. I deleted the partitions from a...
  9. Default Windows 10 Partitions

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Default Windows 10 Partitions: I was trying to install arch linux via command line, When setting up partitions i accidentally put arch on my windows 10 drive. This meant windows 10 got wiped. Luckily i had a windows 10 install with me, so it didnt matter that much. I just want to make sure all traces of...
  10. Default Partition Reversed on Update

in Windows 10 Support
    Default Partition Reversed on Update: I've given feedback on Default partitions being reversed, especially by Fast Ring/Skip Ahead: I dual boot between Production and Insider versions of Windows 10. The Production partition is default. Insider partition gets an Update, so the next time I boot, Insider is the...