Windows 10: Can't boot into main drive after installing Windows on another drive

Discus and support Can't boot into main drive after installing Windows on another drive in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi friends. I am a new member. Thanks for accepting me into the Forum. Yesterday, my HP G61 laptop's HDD finally crashed. I was getting unmountable... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Balajits, May 4, 2021.

1. Balajits Win User

Can't boot into main drive after installing Windows on another drive

Hi friends. I am a new member. Thanks for accepting me into the Forum. Yesterday, my HP G61 laptop's HDD finally crashed. I was getting unmountable boot volume error about a year ago, which I fixed by clean installing Win 10. It was ok till yesterday, when the system stopped booting. Error 301 and 303. Disk tests were ok till 56% then stopped. What I did, I removed the HDD in my Samsung netbook NC110 (which I was using sparingly), and installed it in the HP G61 laptop. The netbook was running on Win 10 32 bit. The HP was on Win 10 64 bit. I wanted to upgrade the system to 64 bit version, hence created a bootable media usb from Microsoft website. After installing the HDD in the HP laptop, I booted the system using the USB. The entire process went through, or that's what I guess happened. The system started working, with a little bit of tweaking with the display resolution. But, the Windows version remains to be 1803, whereas the previous version had the latest, the 32 bit version also stays. And, the USB has become part of the system. If I remove the USB, the windows doesn't boot. There is no option to "Eject" the USB. Apart form this, the system seems to be working fine. I have very limited usage of the laptop, checking mails, and online shopping. How do I bring the system back to normal working condition, and install the 64 bit version? Can someone please help me out?

:)

Balajits, May 4, 2021

2. Windows 7 booting off wrong drive?!?!?

Please move if this is in the wrong place.

I have two hard drives, a 1.5TB drive, and a 160GB drive. Windows is installed on the 1.5TB drive, as are all my files and programs. The 160GB drive has a bunch of old files, and apparently the bootmgr and boot folder. Nothing else is on the 160GB drive, other than media files etc.

If I remove the 160GB drive from the machine, windows refuses to boot, plug it back in, it works fine. The setup with two hard drives I have now is temporary, as the 160GB drive will go into another machine.

My question is, can someone give me a step by step on how to make windows force to boot off the 1.5TB drive, ignoring the 160GB drive in the boot process completely?
    I don't know how to do this in Windows 7, on XP I would just run the /fixmbr command and its related ones.

Any help would be appreciated.

Note: I would really really rather not have to wipe and reinstall, I know it can be done without one as I've had this issue with XP before.

speedy11131, May 4, 2021
  3. little cat, May 4, 2021
  4. Can't boot into main drive after installing Windows on another drive

Installing Windows 7 via USB flash drive!

Its weird tho cause I have no problem with installing from disc. I did change it back to boot from HDD. I really dont want to uninstall all my components, kinds defeats the purpose of installing from usb. it would take longer to disconnect and reconnect after install then it would to just install from dvd.

Do you think its beacuse the drive was formated in ntfs, thats the only step I did different from the OP. Well that and the bootsect /nt60 command before coping files.

heres they way I went, probly have to try it fat32

launch diskpart.exe)
    select disk 1 (or your USB drive number, use list disk to get it)
    clean
    create partition primary
    select partition=1
    active
    format fs=ntfs
    assign
    exit

Now that the drive is boot aware, we have to initialize its boot sector with the Windows boot manager (BOOTMGR), using the Bootsect.exe utility located in the boot directory of the Vista installation DVD. We have to tell the utility that our target drive is NTFS formatted:

bootsect.exe /nt60 f:

ShRoOmAlIsTiC, May 4, 2021
Thema:

Can't boot into main drive after installing Windows on another drive

1. Can't boot into main drive after installing Windows on another drive - Similar Threads - Can't boot main

2. Windows10 drive will not boot after booting from another windows10 drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows10 drive will not boot after booting from another windows10 drive: Windows10 drive will not boot after booting from another windows10 drive on the same computerboth drives installed simultaneously. I can see from diskmanagement that the first drive is no longer recognized as bootable. I tried repairing it using a bootable usb that i created...
  3. Windows10 drive will not boot after booting from another windows10 drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows10 drive will not boot after booting from another windows10 drive: Windows10 drive will not boot after booting from another windows10 drive on the same computerboth drives installed simultaneously. I can see from diskmanagement that the first drive is no longer recognized as bootable. I tried repairing it using a bootable usb that i created...
  4. Windows10 drive will not boot after booting from another windows10 drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Cannot boot to windows after installing ubuntu on another drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cannot boot to windows after installing ubuntu on another drive: Hello! So I I just got a new SSD and everything is installed but then I installed ubuntu on my previous main drive and now there's no options or way to get into windows 10. I have an MSI motherboard and it's boot options are not great IMHO. - I Already had this working but...
  6. Unable to boot on primary drive after booting on another drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Unable to boot on primary drive after booting on another drive: I stupidly caused a problem by booting into my old system drive while having my current primary system drive connected. First time trying to boot into my primary drive I got a "An attempt was made to execute an illegal instruction." error message after which windows attempted...
  7. Can't install games on another drive

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Can't install games on another drive: Hello, When I wanted to reinstall Forza Horizon 4 again on my PC after I've formatted the drive wanted to clean it up I couldn't install the game on my d: drive. I want to install it there as my c: drive is just a 120GB SSD used for Windows. When I want to click on the blue...
  8. Can't access the main drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't access the main drive: I accidentally remove the full control on my both active user even the administrator? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-access-the-main-drive/0e5943e5-a32a-437a-90c6-bb6d566015bf
  9. Can't boot after installing windows on 2nd drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't boot after installing windows on 2nd drive: Hi, I am frustrated and here is what I did (any help is appreciated) : My company's laptop has only HDD drive and it has Windows 10 Enterprise and i don't have admin privileges + it has BittLocker. I got my self a temporary nvme drive and plugged it into an empty nvme...
  10. Can't boot into main drive after installing Windows on another drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't boot into main drive after installing Windows on another drive: Hi guys, So I'm no longer able to boot into my main drive, but all my files and folders on that drive still look intact. I honestly don't know what went wrong or if there is any way to fix this other than reinstalling Windows. Tried startup repair on my Windows 10...