Windows 10: Can't boot into Win 8.1 after Win 10 install on different drive.

Discus and support Can't boot into Win 8.1 after Win 10 install on different drive. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have Windows 8.1 on one drive. Then I installed Windows 10 on a second drive that was attached to the same computer. Since then, I can't boot... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Meicrosoft, Jan 29, 2021.

1. Can't boot into Win 8.1 after Win 10 install on different drive.

I have Windows 8.1 on one drive.

Then I installed Windows 10 on a second drive that was attached to the same computer.

Since then, I can't boot into Windows 8.1 anymore. I can see the original files and folders of the windows 8.1 installation from within the Windows 10 installation, but even if I put the windows 8.1 drive first in the boot order, or remove the windows 10 drive entirely, it won't boot windows 8 anymore in the latter case it just boots into bios.

[COLOR=rgba20, 20, 20, 1]I read afterwards that one should remove all other drives before installing windows 10. Great. [/COLOR]

What I tried :

[COLOR=rgba20, 20, 20, 1]Bootrec /rebuildbcd[/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgba20, 20, 20, 1]It finds the windows installation, but when I press Yes it says "element not found". Fixmbr changes nothing either. [/COLOR]Setting the drive to active in diskpart didn't work, said something about the drive not being MBR.

What did the win10 install do to my perfectly fine windows 8 install? Why am I going out of my way to install windows10 on a different drive and not say, another partition, to make sure the original drive remains untouched, if Microsoft f's up everything anyway?

:)

Meicrosoft, Jan 29, 2021
  2. RealNeil Win User

Win 10 boots...

I can't answer to the speed of Win-8 booting. I tried the Win-8 preview and went back to Win-7 after a month. They say that Win-8.1 is a lot better than Win-8 was.
    My Win-10 TP is working well ATM.

RealNeil, Jan 29, 2021
  3. rk3066 Win User
    Win.10 won't boot after installing Win.7

Hi,

So i installed Win.10 via the UEFI and after installing Win.7 on Legacy Mode onto a different HDD i can't boot into Win.10 (I believe can only because Win.10 was installed via UEFI)

I tried installing the BCD Software but nope. I even tried to select my HDD but say Winload.exe error

Even tried going into the USB and try repairing but the same thing happens

rk3066, Jan 29, 2021
  4. RealNeil Win User

Can't boot into Win 8.1 after Win 10 install on different drive.

Win 10 boots...

Yes, it's called the Windows Technical Preview and you can get it here (ISO Download)

You'll have to sign up for a MS account using your email and a password.

I'm using it with a 480GB SSD as the OS drive and it ~does~ boot faster, much faster.
    I also have a new Win-7 build with a pair of 120GB SSDs in RAID that takes longer to boot.

RealNeil, Jan 29, 2021
Thema:

Can't boot into Win 8.1 after Win 10 install on different drive.

1. Can't boot into Win 8.1 after Win 10 install on different drive. - Similar Threads - Can't boot install

2. Error bcd after many installation of win 10 and 11, but able with win 8

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Error bcd after many installation of win 10 and 11, but able with win 8: I try to install win 10 and 11 in my laptop. I have reinstall it many times, but after the installation is complete it always shows error bcd. But, when I install win 8, it was able to boot. Fyi: the default os is win 10, and I put a new harddisk. Do you know what should I...
  3. Error bcd after many installation of win 10 and 11, but able with win 8

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Error bcd after many installation of win 10 and 11, but able with win 8: I try to install win 10 and 11 in my laptop. I have reinstall it many times, but after the installation is complete it always shows error bcd. But, when I install win 8, it was able to boot. Fyi: the default os is win 10, and I put a new harddisk. Do you know what should I...
  4. Error bcd after many installation of win 10 and 11, but able with win 8

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. info boot win 7/8 after installation win 10

info boot win 7/8 after installation win 10: hello everyone is from a year or so that I installed windows 10 and I no longer see at startup win 7 and win 8 despite being able to access from local disk c to various folders and files, how can I return to access the previous systems? ciao a tutti da un annetto circa che...
  6. info boot win 7/8 dopo installazione win 10

in Windows 10 Support
    info boot win 7/8 dopo installazione win 10: ciao a tutti da un annetto circa che ho installato windows 10 e non vedo pi all' avvio win 7 e win 8 nonostante riesca ad accedere dal disco locale c alle varie cartelle e file, come posso tornare ad accedere ai sistemi precedenti? 164282
  7. Different BSOD on 2 different Win 10 boot drives

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Different BSOD on 2 different Win 10 boot drives: Custom made my desktop a few weeks ago with 1 nvme and 1 sata hdd. Win 10 installed on both hdd because initially had trouble installing on the nvme. BSOD on the sata drive seem to be caused more by ntoskrnl.exe sata.zip BSOD on the nvme drive seem to be caused more by...
  8. win 8 & win 10 won't install on my pc :

win 8 & win 10 won't install on my pc :: i have a costume PC build and every time i try to install win 8 or 10 , its install and after finish the system stake and never work , i try to Chang the hard drive and nothing happened , but win 7 it's work very good my PC spec : i5-4690k 16gb ram gtx 970 MB :...
  9. Programs issues after upgrading win 8 to win 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Programs issues after upgrading win 8 to win 10: I have had this Asus laptop for over a year (i3 4gb ram intel hd 4000 video card). With windows 8 64bit, I was able to run minecraft filling 1/2 the screen and firefox filling the other half with no issues. I would generally stream hulu or youtube while playing minecraft....
  10. Dual boot Win 9 preview and Win 8

Dual boot Win 9 preview and Win 8: A little early but this is what I am looking at. [img] I plan to just remove Win 7 (C) and install Win 9 Preview in its place as (C) At present Win 8 is on a Logical drive (W) but have thought about deleting Win 7 and converting Win 8 (W) to a primary partition and...