Windows 10: Can’t boot into Windows 10 Installation Tool after uninstalling Ubuntu..then it gets stuck...

Discus and support Can’t boot into Windows 10 Installation Tool after uninstalling Ubuntu..then it gets stuck... in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Dehyy [link] [comments]... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Dehyy, Aug 4, 2020.

1. /u/Dehyy Win User

Can’t boot into Windows 10 Installation Tool after uninstalling Ubuntu..then it gets stuck...

/u/Dehyy, Aug 4, 2020

2. Can't boot after dual-boot crash (Windows 10 and Ubuntu)

I have a problem with my Lenovo h500. I replaced the hard drive with a 1 TB WDC drive and upped the RAM to 8 GB.

The unit came with Windows 8, and I upgraded to Windows 10 and have installed every update up until May 2018.

Then I installed ubuntu 18.04 in a dual-boot configuration, keeping my Windows 10. A few days ago, while ubuntu was updating to a new version, my mouse ran out of power, and the machine suddenly switched off.

When I rebooted, I got a black screen with a message that lasted less than a second. By videoing the screen, I was able to get this:

Failed to open \EFI\BOOT\grubx64.efi – Not Found

Failed to load image \EFI\BOOT\grubx64.efi – Not Found

Start_image() returned Not Found

So, I can’t boot into windows or ubuntu, but I can get to a cmd prompt line using a Windows recovery DVD. My bios doesn’t help. It only gives me an option to start in UEFI or legacy mode. After failing with legacy, I’ve switched to UEFI permanently. But
    the BIOS won’t let me scrounge around and delete references to ubuntu. And I can’t get to it through the command line on the Rescue Disk either.

So here are the things I’ve tried to fix this:

1. Ran the ubuntu Boot_repair program. Didn’t fix it.
    2. Tried to replace the file in terminal. Didn’t fix it.
    3. Re-installed ubuntu. Didn’t fix it. Just added another copy.
    4. Removed the new installation of ubuntu. Didn’t fix it.
    5. Deleted the partitions on which ubuntu resided. Created a new partition in that space. Didn’t fix it.
    6. Tried to fix the FAT32 system partition through a number of different means, including:
      1. Using the bootrec /fixboot command. Response: Access is denied.
      2. Tried bootrec /rebuildbcd. Access denied.
      3. Tried to open the bcd with BCDedit. OS couldn’t find the “object.”
      4. Decided I needed full access to the System Disk. Assigned a drive letter to the system disk. Didn’t fix it. Access problem not fixed.
      5. Changed the gpt attributes of the file. Access problem not fixed..
      6. Tried the Set=id 07, and 17. Those commands, though suggested in many blogs, were not recognized by Recovery disk OS. Access problem not fixed.
      7. Using DISKPART, deleted the system partition. Created a new EFI partition. Didn’t fix it. SWith a brand new system drive, still can’t use the bootrec tools. Couldn’t unhide the partition I created. Still no access to bootrec tools.
    If the problem is that the BIOS is still being told to look for the ubuntu starter, then the problem appears not reside in the system disk, which although still hidden doesn't have any references to the ubuntu files. My questions are:

Why can’t I use the bootrec tools?

On which partition is this screen message stored?

How can I access what the BIOS appears to accessing, namely, a file that is telling it to try to open ubuntu?

Why is there no ubuntu uninstall program?

Thanks

Phaethon_PC, Aug 5, 2020
  3. Dual boot Ubuntu with pre-installed Windows

Hi Andre,

I got around the above problem using cipher and defrag using cmd.

However, I've two questions:

1. Can I re-enable the Secure boot after I've installed Ubuntu?

2. If I want to uninstall Ubuntu later and get back to Windows being the only OS, what are the steps for that?

Thanks.

Anirban Ray, Aug 5, 2020
  4. Can’t boot into Windows 10 Installation Tool after uninstalling Ubuntu..then it gets stuck...

Windows 10 USB boot

Hi there, am not a windows 10 expert. I have a pc in the bedroom on windows 10, I messed up the bootloader trying to fix the xp on that system.

System wont boot, trying to repair via win 10 usb installer.

Downloaded the media creation tool to install windows 10 installer on usb stick. Not compatible with a host of usb sticks I have. Tried the usb sticks that others use, but I think they use rufus; as the media creation tool by win 10 does not detect the usb stick.

So quick question, the win10 machine i am trying to repair the bootloader is a win7 upgraded to win10.
    If i were to use the usb win10 installer to "repair installation" does the version of the iso downloaded via the media creation tool matter?

There is three options:
    Windows 10
    Windows 10 Home
    Windows 10 N

Also is there a step by step instead of using rufus as I want to try an alternative method of creating a usb win 10 installer. Preferably with more compatibility.

System is a asus sabertooth 990 (r2?) with AMD phenom X 6.

Also is there any other software I can load onto the usb that can repair the bootloader easily?
    That would be the ideal alternative. Thanks

TRUELOVE95, Aug 5, 2020
Thema:

Can’t boot into Windows 10 Installation Tool after uninstalling Ubuntu..then it gets stuck...

1. Can’t boot into Windows 10 Installation Tool after uninstalling Ubuntu..then it gets stuck... - Similar Threads - Can’t boot Installation

2. my windows 10 is not booting after installing ubuntu alongside

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    my windows 10 is not booting after installing ubuntu alongside: hellofew days ago I tried to install ubuntu in my legacy bios laptop. but I failed to install. then I saw a youtube video and had installed successfully ubuntu only after deleting EFI folder from LiveUsb. But after completing the installation of ubuntu, my windows 10 is not...
  3. Accidentally uninstalled windows 10 when installing ubuntu

Accidentally uninstalled windows 10 when installing ubuntu: I was dual booting windows 10 and ubuntu and i had done everthing good. I have a backup of stuff i can’t lose but i didn’t have a drive big enough to backup al, the drive and i couldn’t buy a cloud one. When i realised that i had done something wrong it was too late. I am...
  4. I can’t get windows 10 installer to boot on startup.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I can’t get windows 10 installer to boot on startup.: This is a new build that I set up yesterday: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/sPyPRk All the components start up and register well in the bios (from what I can tell that is). The I hopped on my MacBook and download the windows 10 iso from the software download page, I already...
  5. Tried to install Ubuntu, now I can’t boot windows.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Tried to install Ubuntu, now I can’t boot windows.: Hey guys, so I tried installing Ubuntu 16.04 on my Dell XPS 15 and this is the sequence of events and things I did that led to this moment: 1. Write Ubuntu to a USB stick. 2. Install Ubuntu: (to make this happen): - Had to use GRUB to add: nouveau.modeset=0 and acpi=off -...
  6. broken boot record after uninstalling ubuntu (hurry)

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    broken boot record after uninstalling ubuntu (hurry): I have windows 10 1909 , ubuntu 19.04 dual boot. Bugged linux, i got black screen after an update, so i decided restart my computer after more than half and hour - because it cant take so long updating from previous version. Beside shouldnt get blackscreen... I was unable...
  7. Uninstall Ubuntu Dual boot and Repairing Dual Boot in Windows 10

Uninstall Ubuntu Dual boot and Repairing Dual Boot in Windows 10: Hello. I had dual-booted my Dell laptop which came with preinstalled Windows 10. I had dual booted with Ubuntu 16.04 by creating a partition on the disk. To remove this dual boot, i.e. I only wanted to keep Windows 10, I formatted the disk, drive F(in my case), where Ubuntu...
  8. Unable to boot Windows after installing Ubuntu as dual boot

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unable to boot Windows after installing Ubuntu as dual boot: Initially my windows was running perfectly. Then i tried to dual boot it with ubuntu. After doing dual boot I'm not able to access windows. I'm getting a screen like this.[IMG]I also tried using grub command but it didn't work!! ***Original title: Dual boot***...
  9. Win10 won’t boot after installing new ram, can’t boot into recovery tools.

Win10 won’t boot after installing new ram, can’t boot into recovery tools.: I installed 8gb (2x4gb Corsair Vengeance LPX ddr4 3000Mhz) on top of the 8gb already in my Ryzen 5 1600 system (ASUS ROG Strix B350F-Gaming motherboard) 1. The ram is compatible, and not defective 2. my motherboard supports up to 64gb of ram My windows 10 boots just...
  10. Windows 10 won't boot after installing Ubuntu to a different drive

Windows 10 won't boot after installing Ubuntu to a different drive: So, here is my problem: I tried to install Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS to an old HDD I have (let's call it HDB) while maintaining my main OS (Windows 10) on my main HDD (let's call it HDA). The problem is that after I installed Ubuntu to HDB my Windows 10 (which was on HDA) wouldn't...