Windows 10: Can't boot linux (or any other OS) from USB on my RDP Thinbook

Discus and support Can't boot linux (or any other OS) from USB on my RDP Thinbook in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; So I bought this new weird notebook for my daily purposes and it has Windows 10 installed on it. The specs are: CPU: Intel(R) Atom(TM) x5-Z8350 CPU @... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by NotoRiousDa, Aug 10, 2020.

1. Can't boot linux (or any other OS) from USB on my RDP Thinbook

So I bought this new weird notebook for my daily purposes and it has Windows 10 installed on it.

The specs are:

CPU: Intel(R) Atom(TM) x5-Z8350 CPU @ 1.44GHz 1.44GHz
    Memory(RAM): 2.00 GB
    GPU: Intel(R) HD Graphics
    System type: 32-bit Operating System, x64 based processor (Windows 10 32bit)

I know the specs are awful but this is just a daily purpose laptop which I sometimes use to code somethings on it using Notepad++. so as you could see the specs are horrible and windows 10 on this thing is just a nightmare, so I am considering installing Linux which is much lighter and I am more comfortable with it.
    Though the problem is even though i set the boot priority to my USB flash drive, it just doesn't boot from there, there are no legacy or CSM or UEFI settings in my bios, the secure boot is off, the fast boot is off, it just doesn't boot from my USB drive (i used it on my other laptop and it works and boots fine). You might say that the problem might be because you are trying to boot Linux and I have to say I even tried windows 10 and it doesn't boot that as well. I tried other USB ports and the ports work just fine when I connect them. There is an EFI shell that i can boot into but I don't know how to use it to my advantage. Also, there is a Fixed Boot Order Priority option just above the boot order priority option which I cannot change anything from it. Any ideas on how can I boot Linux on this device?

Pictures from BIOS settings:

Boot menu: (NOTE: I cannot change the Fixed Boot Order but i can change the normal Boot Order Priority)
    https://i.stack.imgur.com/zGcF1.jpg

This is Security settings in BIOS:
    https://i.stack.imgur.com/ITvgn.jpg

Security settings keys:
    https://i.stack.imgur.com/6aWGv.jpg

Even when I select USB from boot menu:
    https://i.stack.imgur.com/VaMoL.jpg

Please help me...

:)

NotoRiousDa, Aug 10, 2020
  2. gnorr Win User

Booting OS from a usb hub

Hey everyone, I only have one usb port on my laptop, and I want to boot linux from a usb stick. But when I plug my bootable usb through a usb hub (non-powered) my computer doesn't recognize it. Also, I can't take the bootable usb after the OS is loaded, because when I put it back again the OS doesn't seem to work.

My question is: How can I get my computer to recognize the usb hub before the OS is loaded. Or, is there a way to remove the bootable linux usb and plug it back again while running the OS without ruining the session?

Hope you can help me =)

gnorr, Aug 10, 2020
  3. Agility Win User
    Multi-bootable USB

Hey guys from TPU, couldn't find any specific thread pertaining to the question asked on title. As mentioned, I'm trying to create a bootable USB, but with many specifics boots available.

I've been trying to create one with multiple boot device including one that enables me to run Windows 10 directly on the USB Thumb Drive but to no avail.

The list of bootable images i'm trying to create are

1. Windows 10 (A full OS running from thumb drive)
    2. Windows 10 ISO (Bootable disk image for fresh install)
    3. MemTest86+

Have tried YUMI or UUI from the website USB PenDrive Linux but as this is my first time, i don't know how am i screwing up or am doing it right.. Anyone got a rough idea on a step by step guide? Thanks!

Agility, Aug 10, 2020
  4. Fuse-Wire Win User

Can't boot linux (or any other OS) from USB on my RDP Thinbook

PC Linux OS and Backtrack 2 Boot Intergration??

Hey guys.
    I'm currently using the latest version of PC Linux and also Backtrack 2. Problem is i can only run one or the other, is there any way i can get the backtrack BOOT to be added to the PC Linux BOOT menu on startup?
    Just can't be bothered constantly installing and Formating OS's to switch from one to the other, all help will be much appreciated!

Fuse-Wire, Aug 10, 2020
Thema:

Can't boot linux (or any other OS) from USB on my RDP Thinbook

1. Can't boot linux (or any other OS) from USB on my RDP Thinbook - Similar Threads - Can't boot linux

2. Boot Linux Mint from USB on Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Boot Linux Mint from USB on Windows 11: I have a new Dell computer running windows 11 Pro. On occasion I like to run Linux Mint off a usb drive. When I restart and attempt to boot from the usb drive the option is not available. I have the option of booting from a local drive or a couple NIC options. I had no...
  3. Boot Linux Mint from USB on Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Boot Linux Mint from USB on Windows 11: I have a new Dell computer running windows 11 Pro. On occasion I like to run Linux Mint off a usb drive. When I restart and attempt to boot from the usb drive the option is not available. I have the option of booting from a local drive or a couple NIC options. I had no...
  4. Can't boot from USB

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can't boot from USB: Hello my name is Ashan.My problem is I can't boot from my USB flash drive. There is no os in my hard drive. And also I don'the have a dvd rom. So my only option is to use USB.When I do boot my pc with USB, it shows the basic steps of the setupchoosing the keyboard layout etc...
  5. Boot to linux OS from windows with a command

in Windows 10 Support
    Boot to linux OS from windows with a command: hello guys, i am using Windows 10 Version 21H1 19043.1023 i have also installed linux on my other drive, and i am using UEFI boot mode with fast boot enabled, i would like to know, can make any command shortcut that will reboot windows and boot to my linux os automatically ?...
  6. booting linux from USB

in Windows 10 Customization
    booting linux from USB: Hey guys, i have the surface laptop 2, and i have been trying to boot linux from the USB but nothing works. i used Rufus and format the usb FAT32. i tried to boot on my other laptop Acer and it worked fine. should i turn off the security boot and TMP ? i tried to change the...
  7. Installing Windows via USB Boot on a LINUX OS

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Installing Windows via USB Boot on a LINUX OS: Hello, recently I have installed a Linux based operating system (Parrot specifically if it helps) via Unetbootin, and realised I should have just used it from live boots and not change the whole operating system. Now I am stuck, all the USB Boot softwares seem to be Windows...
  8. Can't boot from USB

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't boot from USB: Hello. I had planned to perform a clean install of Windows 10 (I have a 32-bit now and want to change it to 64-bit). However, I cannot find any options for accessing my USB upon boot up, after going to Settings>Recovery>Advanced Startup>Restart Now. I also have the Legacy...
  9. RDP from Windows to Linux - no Windows software needed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    RDP from Windows to Linux - no Windows software needed: Hi there I know people on these boards often run things like Linux / NAS Linux boxes. RDP from Windows is a very convenient way of accessing it -- here's how to access a typical LINUX box from Windows just using Windows RDP --- works fine although depending on your...
  10. Can't boot from USB

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can't boot from USB: I have a Hp pavillion. I made a usb flash boot drive with acronis 2016 I cant boot to it. This tutorial says that I must boot from within windows 10. I dont see in this post how to do that I only see it fort 8 is 8 the the same. ? 53114