Windows 10: Can't boot or do anything - INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE

Discus and support Can't boot or do anything - INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; When I fired up my laptop today (specs below), the fingerprint sensor wasn't working. I tried auto-updating the driver and it got stuck on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by 43615, Aug 18, 2019.

1. 43615 Win User

Can't boot or do anything - INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE

When I fired up my laptop today (specs below), the fingerprint sensor wasn't working. I tried auto-updating the driver and it got stuck on "Downloading..." with no progress for at least half an hour. I tried to cancel it but it didn't respond. I then decided to kill it using Task Manager, which was unable to open (flashed for a moment, then closed). Finally, I decided to reboot. CHKDSK started running, then I got a blue Can't boot or do anything - INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE :( screen with the error code INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE.

None of the recovery options have worked. They will always run for a bit and then stop (no error codes provided). I've also done a full hard drive check in the BIOS (took 6 hours) and physically checked the hard drive bays (looks fine).

Is there any way to fix this "in-place"? I'm currently on vacation with no easy access to another computer (could ask some relatives) and I need it to work again soon. I also don't want to lose any files (nothing financially important, but still irreplacable).

Core specs:

HP EliteBook 8770w

Intel i7-3490XM

Nvidia Quadro K5100M

2x 8 GB DDR3-1600

2x 2 TB HDD (RAID 0)

Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 1809 x64

:)

43615, Aug 18, 2019

2. INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE after Windows Update

My Windows 10 Pro PC received the latest round of updates, and when it restarted, it bluescreens with the error INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE.

I did a system restore to a previous restore point, and everything booted and ran perfectly, but of course it then goes out to get the latest updates, and the same thing happens with it bluescreening and throwing the INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE error.

I followed many suggestions from a Google Search including disconnecting all drives other than the boot drive, running chkdsk /f on the boot drive, allowing Windows 10 to "auto-fix startup problems", and several other things, and it always bluescreens.

I temporarily disabled the Windows Update service so it doesn't go out and auto-grab the updates, but at some point, I will need to apply updates, and I expect future updates to result in the same bluescreen error.

Suggestions?

Can't boot or do anything - INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE [​IMG]

jimmyheadgear, Aug 18, 2019
  3. INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE

A proffesionally used brand new computer. Installed W 10 in it . Now I can´t access it or boot it.: INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE

How on earth can I fix it??

I have seen that there are MANY people with same problems-

Can microsoft help and fix it

se1AlViguera, Aug 18, 2019
  4. Can't boot or do anything - INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE

Inaccessible_Boot_Device error in Windows 10

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

The INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE bug check indicates that the Microsoft Windows operating system has lost access to the system partition during startup. The INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE bug check frequently occurs because of a boot device failure. During I/O system
    initialization, the boot device driver might have failed to initialize the boot device (typically a hard disk). File system initialization might have failed because it did not recognize the data on the boot device. Also, repartitioning the system partition
    or installing a new SCSI adapter or disk controller might induce this error.

Suggest you to refer
    Bug Check 0x7B: INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE
    and see if it helps you in fixing the issue. Also refer

Troubleshoot blue screen errors in Windows 10
    . With regard to unlocking the drive, I suggest you to get in touch with device Manufacturer for more help in this issue.

Since you suspect that the problem started after Windows Update. If that is the case, then try to remove that particular Windows Update and see if it makes any difference.

To uninstall an unwanted Windows Update:

• Type “View Installed Updates” in the Search box and then click on View Installed Updates – Control Panel from the Search results.
    • To uninstall the unwanted update, select it from the list and then click
      Uninstall.
    • If it prompt for confirmation, just confirm the same. Once it complete uninstalling, reboot your PC and see if it makes any difference.

Keep us posted if you require further assistance.

Yashwanth Kotakuri, Aug 18, 2019
Thema:

Can't boot or do anything - INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE

1. Can't boot or do anything - INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE - Similar Threads - Can't boot anything

2. I can't do anything but boot into bios

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't do anything but boot into bios: I'm all locked out of my Asus laptop\tablet beet to fac reset... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-do-anything-but-boot-into-bios/0aa9b78b-76a8-4e78-a134-e349ed53066f
  3. I can't do anything but boot into bios

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I can't do anything but boot into bios: I'm all locked out of my Asus laptop\tablet beet to fac reset... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-do-anything-but-boot-into-bios/0aa9b78b-76a8-4e78-a134-e349ed53066f
  4. Can't do anything

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't do anything: I can't open any program. I can't open Powershell. Can't search anything in the start menu Settings not working. It's been 2 hours and I can't fuckin do anything on my Computer. If any of you have a solution please tell me, I am having a really hard time. submitted by...
  5. Inaccessible boot device

in Windows 10 Support
    Inaccessible boot device: Suddenly, I cannot boot my Windows 10 Pro (v1903). I was fine with the new upgrade to version 1903 for a couple of weeks but for reasons I cannot determine, I am now getting the error message: INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE. I got into the repair menu and through DOS I issued a...
  6. Can't do anything

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't do anything: There was an update from windows that wasn't installing and keeps on failling. Yesterday, I while I tried one more time to install the update. I opened HP support to check for any HP related update. While search, a command promt programme opened and started giving out lines...
  7. BSOD on boot: inaccessible_boot_device (Windows 10)

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD on boot: inaccessible_boot_device (Windows 10): Hi all, I recently disassembled my computer to clean it since it gets very dusty. For reference, this is not the first time I've taken my computer apart; I know how to correctly take it apart and put it back together. I made sure everything was connected properly and that...
  8. BSOD on boot: INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD on boot: INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE: I run Win10 64bit on an AS-Rock Q1900-ITX board as a PVR backend and connect to it via VNC as and when required for maintenance. The system runs largely trouble free. Recently I rebooted and noticed it had not come back up. Connected to a TV I now see it enters a boot loop...
  9. Inaccessible boot device

in Windows 10 Support
    Inaccessible boot device: I am seriously facing the worst issue.. I installed Windows 10 on my Lenovo G580 4GB-1TB system. After installing I was unable to do windows update due to .netfx3.5. I manually installed 1709 new kB. (601 MB). After update I was asked to reboot. After rebooting. I got...
  10. I can't boot, I can't do anything

in Windows 10 Support
    I can't boot, I can't do anything: I continuously get the same error over and over, C:\windows\system32\Logfiles\Srt\srtTrail.txt I've tried repairing, it doesnt work. I've tried resetting all of my hard disks, I get an error about 30% into it. Nothing works, I've spent hours trying to get back onto my...