Windows 10: Can't boot system from SSD - can't find winload.efi file

Discus and support Can't boot system from SSD - can't find winload.efi file in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello! I wanted to upgrade my Sony VAIO with Windows 10 from the original 750 Gb HDD to a new 1 Tb SSD (SanDisk Ultra). I downloaded Macrium Reflect... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by mecheabad, May 6, 2019.

1. mecheabad Win User

Can't boot system from SSD - can't find winload.efi file

Hello!

I wanted to upgrade my Sony VAIO with Windows 10 from the original 750 Gb HDD to a new 1 Tb SSD (SanDisk Ultra). I downloaded Macrium Reflect to clone my HDD to the SSD and after doing the cloning, I installed the SSD in my computer and turned it on, but the system doesn't boot. It shows a blue screen with the error 0xc000000e and says that the file winload.efi is missing or corrupted. When that happened I swapped the disks and did the cloning again. When it finished, I verified that both the SSD and my \C: have the same winload.efi file (both with the same modified date and in the same location), swapped the disks again and rebooted the laptop, but again the blue screen with the error and the winload.efi file missing notice.

I've been doing some research on the internet to solve the issue and some people say to disable secure boot in UEFI and reboot. Others use a USB flash drive with a windows 10 that I have no idea where they take from and write some commands (I don't remember all the steps) to make it boot. Honestly I don't know what to do. Normally I feel pretty comfortable with computers but now I'm a bit scared of doing something wrong and losing my OS.

Anyone had this issue and was able to solve it? how?

If you need any other info I'll provide

Thank you!!

Bye, Mercedes

:)

mecheabad, May 6, 2019
  2. dictum Win User

Which tool to recover the EFI partition? Booted into Rescue Disk

That's not what they suggest here:

FIX: Steps to Fix Winload.EFI Error - Appuals.com

Winload.EFI Error, is pretty much self explanatory by it’s name is an error that prevents windows from loading. This is usually caused by corrupt boot records or incorrect boot configuration. Depending on your Operating System, the error message may vary but the keyword winload.efi will be same. On a Windows 8/8.1/10 system, the error usually pops-up in the following form.

dictum, May 6, 2019
  3. UEFI boot options disappeared from BIOS; now getting reboot and select proper boot device

In short, I need to get the system/BIOS to allow UEFI booting of the SSD.

Computer started up today with default BIOS settings.

• Only SSD 1(Windows boot) and SSD 2 were listed in BIOS; HDD 1 and HDD 2 were not visible
    • System would not boot. Gave the 'reboot and select proper boot device' message
    • Boot menu has no UEFI/EFI (or Windows Boot Manager) entries anymore
    I went into Partition Magic/Gparted and confirmed :

• All drives are still showing
    • All drives' data is in tact [EFI volume/partition is still listed (and can be browsed/files accessible)]
    Gparted print out (note dev/sda2 apparently that is normal behavior) :

/dev/sda1 (locked) EFI System Partition--Fat32--/media/sda1--100.00mb--46.81MiB--53.19MiB--boot,esp
    /dev/sda2 (exclamation mark) Microsoft reserved partition--unknown file system--no mount point--128.00MiB--unused spaced--msftres
    /dev/sda3 basic data partition--ntfs--/media/sda3--118.58GiB--70.78GiB--47.80GiB--msftdata
    /dev/sda4--ntfs--/media/sda4--450.00MiB--327.71MiB--122.29MiB--hidden,diag

As I am able to boot Windows installation from USB, I tried the standard startup repair. It said it was not able to fix any problems.

Next I tried to repair the EFI with Diskpart in the shell:

• sel vol 1 (note that Diskpart states EFI partition is 'hidden')
    • assign letter=z:
    • cd /d z:\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\
    • bootrec /fixboot
    • bcdboot c:\Windows /l en-us /s vz /f ALL
    It completed all tasks successfully. Unfortunately that did not work.

Other things I have tried :

• Removing CMOS battery and replacing with a new one - my HDD started showing up again after doing this.
    • Using the old MBR commands(in hopes it would force the Windows startup repair to recognize and fix a problem)
    bootrec /fixmbr
    bootrec /fixboot
    bootrec /scanos
    bootrec /rebuildbcd​
    • Loaded BIOS 'optimized'/defaults (the system did this already once before, hence why I am in this situation, though doing it manually seemed like an option worth trying. Note that after doing this and restarting the system, HDD's stopped showing again)
    • Removed new CMOS battery and left it out of the system for thirty minutes
    • Formatted EFI and msftres partitions, then rebuilt the EFI boot records
    In summary, am looking to force the BIOS to see the EFI partition on the SSD boot drive, as it is not an option any longer.

newconroer, May 6, 2019
  4. Can't boot system from SSD - can't find winload.efi file

upgrading to SSD and unable to boot into Windows10 (EFI hidden)

Hi,

I am unable to boot into windows 10 after completing the installation successfully. PC is HP Prodesk G3 small form factor (business PC)

All files are being written to the SSD but just can not boot. The disk is GPT and secure boot is enabled. I am unable to find an option for AHCI in bios so hope its set correctly.

Startup repair returns (couldnt repair your PC) > C:\windows\system32\logfiles\srttrail.txt

Disk Part shows a 100MB volume listed as FAT32 which is the EFI volume and I am guessing that becasue this volume is hidden the PC is unable to use boot manager? When attemptimg to boot afer install it does list UEFI: Windows Boot Manager , but only a black
    screen after.

Would really appreciate assistance in sorting this as I am trying to upgrade.

MFennell12, May 6, 2019
Thema:

Can't boot system from SSD - can't find winload.efi file

1. Can't boot system from SSD - can't find winload.efi file - Similar Threads - Can't boot system

2. UEFI Can't locate /efi/boot/BootX64.efi

in Windows 10 Gaming
    UEFI Can't locate /efi/boot/BootX64.efi: Hi everyone, Thanks for helping...I try to install a new PC HP Pro Tower 290 G9 - RAM 8 GB with Windows 10 64 bit... I created with Rufus from ISO file a bootable USB GPT - UEFI - NTFS 4096 bytes as Cluster size.Rufus created 2 partitions : one with 4.3 GB of folders and...
  3. UEFI Can't locate /efi/boot/BootX64.efi

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    UEFI Can't locate /efi/boot/BootX64.efi: Hi everyone, Thanks for helping...I try to install a new PC HP Pro Tower 290 G9 - RAM 8 GB with Windows 10 64 bit... I created with Rufus from ISO file a bootable USB GPT - UEFI - NTFS 4096 bytes as Cluster size.Rufus created 2 partitions : one with 4.3 GB of folders and...
  4. UEFI Can't locate /efi/boot/BootX64.efi

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Can't find my SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't find my SSD: Every time i want to use my Portable SSD T7 Touch from Samsung it pops up when it is still locked. But as soon as I've unlocked the SSD it disappears. So I basically can't use any of the documents on it nor can i place something on it. When I look for my devices it shows but...
  6. Can't find my SSD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can't find my SSD: Every time i want to use my Portable SSD T7 Touch from Samsung it pops up when it is still locked. But as soon as I've unlocked the SSD it disappears. So I basically can't use any of the documents on it nor can i place something on it. When I look for my devices it shows but...
  7. Can't find file system properties

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't find file system properties: Hi, I am on windows 20H2. I can't find the "file system properties" described herehttps://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/disabling-the-write-behind-caching-setting-does-not-disable-all-write-behind-caching-on-the-system-78592eac-fab2-5043-296b-744e032a1cc4Is it just me or...
  8. Windows boot winload efi error 0000e9

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows boot winload efi error 0000e9: hi my acer swift ryzen laptop completly crashed the weekend with the winload efi error . ive gone into bios and disabled secure boot in uefi but no result . Ive managed to download windows 10 on usb drive and set it up in bios to boot from that drive however i still get the...
  9. Can't find device to boot from

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can't find device to boot from: This morning, I was on my computer, I turned it off. Then I returned from school and when I started it up, suddenly I heard this beaping noise, then it went to the windows loading screen, it fully loaded then the screen said "Can't find device to boot from", out of shock I...
  10. Can't find corrupt system file from log "OneDrive.lnk"

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Can't find corrupt system file from log "OneDrive.lnk": I hadn't been able to make a Flash Recovery Drive so I ran sfc /scannow, it said there was at least one corrupt system file it couldn't repair; I checked the log and found only OneDrive.lnk (screen capture attached). However I can't find where this file is located (so I...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cant find ssd in boot menu

2. cant find ssd in uefi after crash

3. win10 cant find efi

4. winload.efi wont boot ssd