Windows 10: Can't Boot to Macrium Reflect Rescue Media

Discus and support Can't Boot to Macrium Reflect Rescue Media in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I installed Macrium Reflect so that I could create rescue media and disk images. My computer will not boot from the rescue media that I created. The... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Astrolite, Aug 3, 2016.

1. Astrolite Win User

Can't Boot to Macrium Reflect Rescue Media

I installed Macrium Reflect so that I could create rescue media and disk images. My computer will not boot from the rescue media that I created. The creation seemed to go fine, all the appropriate files seem to be there. The rescue USB shows up in my bios boot list third after my two hard drives.

What is weird is that when I move the USB to the top of the boot list, save and exit, the computer boots right back up to my desktop. When I then re-enter my bios the USB has been moved back to the third position. I have made other changes in my bios and it save those. I had a similar problem when I did a clean install of windows, the computer would not boot from the bootable windows install disk. To get that to work I had to go into the Windows troubleshooting and tell it to use a device to boot from. I forget the exact terminology, hopefully you know what I mean.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

:)

Astrolite, Aug 3, 2016
  2. johnptd Win User

Blue Screen Error 'PC/device needs to be repaired file:/BCD error code:0xc000000d'

Brittany,

I just fixed an error like that on a Dell Inspiron yesterday. The best and easiest tool for fixing this is to use Macrium Reflect's Rescue Media. It has a "Fix Windows Boot Problems" option. This is what you have to do:

1. Download the "free" version of Macrium Reflect from here:

Download Macrium Reflect Free

2. Install it on a working computer and create the Rescue Media (Create Rescue Media). Make sure you set it to use
    Windows PE version 10. If it has not picked that, click the "Change PE Version" and select PE version 10. You can create the Rescue Media on either a CD or a USB Flash drive although a USB Flash drive would be better and you
    only need a minimum of a 1GB drive.

3. Once the Rescue Media is created, you need to start your problem laptop with the Rescue Media connected to it and change where you are booting from. As soon as you press the power button on the laptop, continually press the "F12" key.
    This will allow you to access the Boot Options screen to modify from where your laptop will boot. It should eventually give you a list of devices to boot from. Select the USB Flash drive which contains the Rescue Media. Use the keyboard arrow keys to get to
    the correct line and then {Enter} to select it. Once selected, it should then boot into Macrium Reflect running off the USB drive.

4. Follow the instructions on this page (How to fix Windows Boot problems) to perform the repair.

Good luck,

JohnD

johnptd, Aug 3, 2016
  3. Tryx3 Win User
    WIN 10 Recovery

Ricky,

Understood.

If Macrium Reflect requires you to make a boot disk / rescue disk / bootable-disk-with-another-name-I-can't-guess-at then you could test it by booting it from it to see if it causes the same problem symptoms.

Best of luck,

Denis

Tryx3, Aug 3, 2016
  4. Astrolite Win User

It appears I have solved my own problem, in case anyone is interested for future reference. Reading the help file for creating the Mecrium Rescue Media I found that it puts drivers on your USB supporting USB 2.0, it does not mention USB 3.0. When I was trying to boot it before it was plugged into a 3.0 port. As soon as I put it into a 2.0 port it booted fine.

Still not sure why that would cause my boot order to change in the bios. But hey it works!

Astrolite, Aug 3, 2016
  5. Phone Man Win User
    What version of Macrium do you have.
    The latest is 6.1.1366 and my rescue disk boots from USB 3.

Jim *Cool

Phone Man, Aug 3, 2016
  6. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

I have a physical RAID driver that needs to be loaded at boot -- I believe Macrium Free (I have a Pro version) on media creation (The stand alone boot version) allows you to add drivers when the media is created.

Works fine -- on booting I usually see a quick message "Driver xxx Loaded" and then I get the Macrium GUI and the HDD's are recognized.

Not sure why it would change your boot order though -- are you sure you didn't do it by accident and save after entering BIOS.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Aug 3, 2016
  7. Astrolite Win User
    I downloaded directly from their site. It is version 6.1.1366.

I did see the option to add additional drivers to the rescue disk. That might solve the issue. Just not sure how to find the particular driver I need. As far as the boot order, after "Save & Exit" didn't work I tried just "Save Changes" went back and checked to see it was the way I wanted it, then "Saved & Exited" again. Really not sure what is going on their.

Thanks for you responses.

Astrolite, Aug 3, 2016
  8. Phone Man Win User

During the making of your Rescue USB there is a window that shows what devices have drivers built into Macrium. Did it show anything about USB 3? I used the W10 PE choice. The W8 and W10 PE has support for USB3. To add a driver I believe you have to add the .inf file for the device. (This is from my old memory and may be incorrect.)

The USB xHCI is USB 3

Can't Boot to Macrium Reflect Rescue Media [​IMG]

Jim *Cool

Phone Man, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Can't Boot to Macrium Reflect Rescue Media - Similar Threads - Can't Boot Macrium

2. Macrium Reflect V7.2.4952 Can't creat rescue media

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Macrium Reflect V7.2.4952 Can't creat rescue media: Win ver 18363.836. For months now I have been trying to create rescue media on CD with macrium reflect. Macrium stopped helping me after 3 email exchanges. They just stopped answering, ignoring one important question. Macrium window indicates it will download a 205K file from...
  3. Creating rescue media with Macrium Reflect

Creating rescue media with Macrium Reflect: I just ran Macrium Reflect to build rescue media on a Windows 10 laptop. In Other Tasks -> Create Rescue Media, I selected Windows Boot Menu, checked Add boot menu, and clicked Build. After the operation ended successfully, I looked to see if Macrium had created a new...
  4. Question about Macrium Reflect Rescue Media

in Windows 10 Support
    Question about Macrium Reflect Rescue Media: Hi. I hope this doesn't sound dumb but I created a Macrium Rescue Media on a USB stick and also on the Boot menu. Am I correct in assuming that there is no problem with doing this as now I would have the option of using the USB stick in the event that I can't boot into...
  5. Macrium Reflect rescue media questions

Macrium Reflect rescue media questions: So i'm a hobbyist system builder for friends a family and often i'm also their go-to guy for troubleshooting. Now, im using MR Home to do my own system backups but i've yet to make a rescue media (yeah go figure). So the question is 1. Since i'm hobbyist builder. Should i...
  6. Creating rescue media for Macrium Reflect

Creating rescue media for Macrium Reflect: hi, Does Macrium clean USB flash drive before creating rescue media? 114295
  7. Macrium Reflect /rescue media

Macrium Reflect /rescue media: Hi, Do I have to create a new rescue media (USB) for every Windows 10 machines I have, or is the first I created valid for all the others? 112784
  8. Macrium Reflect Rescue Media

Macrium Reflect Rescue Media: Hi, I recently created a rescue media as I wanted to backup Windows 10 Fall creators update. After creating the rescue media to pen drive i backed up the partion of windows drive. What I noticed later that all my internal drives are now are removable or ejectable....
  9. Macrium Reflect Rescue Media

Macrium Reflect Rescue Media: Hi i have a desktop PC with Windows 10 home. i have created the Macrium Reflect rescue media on USB. ( I have used it to restore images and works fine ). i have a Surface Pro 4 with Windows 10 Pro, i have created an image of the disc using Macrium Reflect and saved it...
  10. Problems creating a rescue media for Macrium Reflect

Problems creating a rescue media for Macrium Reflect: Hello again, On creating a USB rescue media the following error message popped up: The USB disk contains the maximum number of partitions allowed. Please try a different USB disk or remove partitions. The USB stick I wanted for the rescue media is a 16 GB Lexar and...