Windows 10: Can't boot to USB ASUS laptop, despite following recommendations

Discus and support Can't boot to USB ASUS laptop, despite following recommendations in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My sons ASUS laptop stopped booting correctly. It gets to the ASUS screen and stays there. Sometimes it comes up with the ASUS recovery message... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by emailrob, Jan 14, 2017.

1. emailrob Win User

Can't boot to USB ASUS laptop, despite following recommendations

My sons ASUS laptop stopped booting correctly. It gets to the ASUS screen and stays there. Sometimes it comes up with the ASUS recovery message 'preparing automatic repair'. It eventually comes up with error 0xc0000185, saying I need to use recovery tools.

Gives me an option to Enter and try again (nothing), try UEFI boot (freezes)

Some more background:

So I'm trying to reinstall windows, assuming something is wrong with the boot files.

- I followed the full guide here Access Denied to install windows 10 onto Rufus and GPT
    - switched off fast boot, switched off CMS
    - My boot screens look the same as on here

Despite all of this, I can't get the boot to pick up the USB. On the rare occasion I can actually get the boot screen up, the USB is never there.

- I've tried to add a USB device in the boot options, pick the config file, but still the USB doesn't get listed.

Any other ideas? It's under warranty so I guess I can RMA is to ASUS, but I'd prefer to fix it if I can.

:)

emailrob, Jan 14, 2017

2. Update killed LapTop??

Laptop

Windows 10, highjacked when Windows updated in the dead of night

Can't see the current build, will not get to actual Windows but will go to login. ASUS computer

Boots slow, then will allow login, then NADA, nothing, for hours, then to ASUS OS

No error, besudes Microsoft taking over the operating system despite my clicking to ignore an windows 10 OS

rgdavisatc, Jan 14, 2017
  3. zyang(2) Win User
    Installing Window 10 from Bootable USB on ASUS K40IN

Hi,

I am trying to install Window 10 into my old Laptop Asus K40IN. Once the laptop boot the USB, it only show a CMD window and i can't type anything in the CMD.

I am sure the USB is working as i test it with installing to a Desktop.

kindly assist.

Thank You

zyang(2), Jan 14, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

What type of USB flash drive are you using? Plain, USB 2.0 name brand flash drives seem to work best. I like SanDisk. 4 GB will work, but 8 GB to 32 GB will give you a little wiggle room and you can store drivers or data files on them too.

If the laptop has both blue USB 3.0 ports and black USB 2.0 ports, use the black USB 2.0 ports. We seem to have better luck all around with USB 2.0 than 3.0.

Finally, your USB flash drive is probably set up wrong. If you don't set the all the options exactly the correct way, and set them in the exactly correct order in Rufus you are likely to get a USB flash drive that won't do what you want it to do. I won't recommend that anyone use Rufus. Here is a much more reliable way to make a USB flash drive bootable in both a UEFI and a legacy BIOS computer:

Prepare the flash drive to be bootable in both a UEFI and a legacy BIOS computer as follows:
    Create a Bootable USB Flash Drive

At step 9 make sure to use the FAT32 file system (read the important box below the step):
    9. To format the partition as FAT32, type format fs=fat32 quick, and then click ENTER

Don't worry about step 12 - we'll get to that in a minute.

Next you need the Windows 10 ISO file. If you already download the just plain Windows 10 ISO file you can use what you have downloaded. You want just plain Windows 10 64-bit. Not Single Language Edition, not N Edition, just plain Windows 10 from here:
    Microsoft Windows 10 ISO Download

Once you have the Windows 10 ISO file you need to mount it. In Windows 8 or 10 you just need to right click on it and select mount. In Windows 7 you need a program to mount it. WinCDEmu is a program you can use to mount it in Windows 7:
    WinCDEmu - the easiest way to mount an ISO. And more...

Once you mount the ISO file, it should open with it's own drive letter, a virtual DVD. Copy all the files and folders from the new drive letter to the USB flash drive you just prepared. This is performing step 12 of that procedure. You now have a USB flash drive that you can boot your computer from and install Windows 10 with.

NavyLCDR, Jan 15, 2017
  5. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

The boot files are damaged. It should be an easy fix if and that is the only problem.

Amen to that. You really have to keep your eyes peeled with that one or it messes up.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Jan 15, 2017
  6. emailrob Win User
    EDIT OK finally it moved somewhere! I got the USB menu up (I had to ENABLE CMS, not disable it).

I clicked on the USB to boot from there, and now just a black screen. No windows install screen *Sad Now after 5 minutes it just had a flashing cursor at the top right of the screen. Then it moved to say 'Reboot and select proper boot device' or Insert boot media i selected boot device and press a key.

I followed the installation instructions to the letter *Sad

emailrob, Jan 15, 2017
  7. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

fdegrove, Jan 15, 2017
  8. emailrob Win User

Yeah, fat32 for sure.
    How do I know its UEFI capable? Do I still manually have to add it in the BIOS as a different boot item (I actually didn't this time round and it picked it up)

This is the USB I'm using

emailrob, Jan 15, 2017
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    In Windows 10, press the Windows key + X and select disk management. With the USB flash drive inserted, it should show as a FAT32 partition. Mine is Disk 2, drive letter H:

Can't boot to USB ASUS laptop, despite following recommendations [​IMG]

On the USB flash drive you should see files and folders like this:

In the computer's UEFI, under the Save & Exit screen, there should be a Boot Override menu. With the USB flash drive inserted, it should show up in this menu and this is where you would want to select it to boot the computer from:

NavyLCDR, Jan 15, 2017
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    NavyLCDR, Jan 15, 2017
  11. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

From earlier posts I understand your son's machine is UEFI capable and set up in BIOS/UEFI as such. You should not have to add the USB stick to the boot options, UEFI should do that for you provided that media is indeed bootable under UEFI settings.

You may want to disable secure boot in UEFI although it should work regardless really.

The ADATA stick seems fine to me.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Jan 15, 2017
  12. emailrob Win User
    Thanks both for the details replies!

So, everything works OK APART from seeing a UEFI option. All I see is:

Bootoverride
    PO: ST1000LM035 - I assume the physical hard drive
    Windows Boot Manager (PO: ST1000ML035) the window image that's broken

Underneath I see
    Launch EFI Shell from filesystem device

I tried to launch that but nothing happens.

I even tried an old USB drive and no difference. Neither of them pull up the UEFI.
    I even downloaded a fresh windows 10 install.

Slightly random - but I don't remember if its windows 32 or 64 installed. Would this make a difference? I have both ISOs installed so can try.

emailrob, Jan 15, 2017
  13. NavyLCDR New Member

I would look at loading Optimized Defaults in UEFI firmware. It should be F9, probably - see my screenshot. Then go back to the security tab and disable Secure Boot. Also, have you tried booting from the USB flash drive on another computer?

The good news is ASUS is pretty good with warranty work. They had my daughter's computer that had a flickering screen hardware probably back to me in about 10 calendar days, but you do have to pay for shipping to them.

NavyLCDR, Jan 15, 2017
  14. emailrob Win User
    Thanks. I tried the drive in my main PC and the windows loading screen came up with away (a Dell). It's got to be something about the PC not picking up the drive correctly, I just don't know what.

I guess I'll keep trying different BIOS options but if no use will RMA it. I thought I wouldn't be beaten!

emailrob, Jan 15, 2017
  15. NavyLCDR New Member
    Does the laptop have a DVD drive? You could try a DVD.

NavyLCDR, Jan 15, 2017
Thema:

1. Can't boot to USB ASUS laptop, despite following recommendations - Similar Threads - Can't boot USB

2. ASUS laptop won't boot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    ASUS laptop won't boot: Hi guys, I have a bit of a problem with my laptop. Last week my SSD died, so I bought a new one. First connected it to my PC to install windows 11, went smooth, I copied all boot files and created BCD store through cmd on the new drive, tested everything on my PC. Then...
  3. ASUS laptop won't boot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    ASUS laptop won't boot: Hi guys, I have a bit of a problem with my laptop. Last week my SSD died, so I bought a new one. First connected it to my PC to install windows 11, went smooth, I copied all boot files and created BCD store through cmd on the new drive, tested everything on my PC. Then...
  4. Asus Laptop wont boot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Asus Laptop wont boot: Hi,I am sure this has been asked before but I cant find the cpecific answer to the problem and I have tried many of the proposed solutions.My Asus ROG laptop wont boot up, it won't do a startup repair itself and I have download the MS media installation file to a USB and...
  5. Asus Laptop wont boot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Asus Laptop wont boot: Hi,I am sure this has been asked before but I cant find the cpecific answer to the problem and I have tried many of the proposed solutions.My Asus ROG laptop wont boot up, it won't do a startup repair itself and I have download the MS media installation file to a USB and...
  6. Asus Laptop wont boot

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Recommendations for USB Boot Utility

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Recommendations for USB Boot Utility: Hi all a while ago I got a USB boot utility that was excellent and had w10 as part of the utility. Alas i don't have it anymore. What would you recommend please both for installs and also just for trouble shooting. TIA Bart 176864
  8. Recommend an SSD for my Asus Laptop

Recommend an SSD for my Asus Laptop: Hello there, I have an Asus Tuf Gaming fx505dy with Ryzen 5 and Amd 560x. I need to know which SSD will be best for improving the performance of my laptop....
  9. ASUS Laptop Will Not Boot

ASUS Laptop Will Not Boot: I have an older ASUS laptop I inherited from a family member. I performed a reset on the computer and now it will not boot properly. When I start the system, it goes into a setup process via Cortana. It cycles through the location, timezone and keyboard routines sometimes*...
  10. Asus USB 3.0 Boot

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Asus USB 3.0 Boot: I'm working with another member and trying to find the correct method to boot the laptop from a 3.0 thumb. The laptop is an Asus ASUS ZenBook UX31E | Notebooks | ASUS USA I'm trying to avoid altering the boot order in the BIOS, just want to do a "One Time" boot from...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cant boot win usb from asus pc