Windows 10: Can't boot uefi

Discus and support Can't boot uefi in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, Recently I helped a friend with upgrading to an SSD and installed Windows 10 Pro. I used a custom .iso and burned it using Rufus gpt. I set the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by syslogs, Jun 22, 2020.

1. syslogs Win User

Can't boot uefi

Hello,

Recently I helped a friend with upgrading to an SSD and installed Windows 10 Pro. I used a custom .iso and burned it using Rufus gpt. I set the computer to boot uefi, disabled secure boot.

The computer worked perfectly, however after sometime they started getting a bsod with winload.efi, after doing some searches I decided to try and reinstall windows. At that point I found that none of my bootable drives were working, all would fail to boot.

I tried many ways of recreating my usb drives using many different tools, (rufus, yummy, winusb, easyusb, easy2boot among others)

My installations would fail, either they would stop after bootx64.efi or I would get video lines on my display and the install would fail. The failures would really depend on what I would use to try and create the bootable usb.

I had been using a modified custom windows installation and it was only until I used diskpart to manually create a 32GB partition formatted with fat32 on my 64GB usb drive that I noticed an error. When copying the contents of the iso file I received an error that the install.esd was too large.

After further research, I found this article: USB install media with WIM file larger than 4GB – Win10.Guru

I started going down the rabbit hole:

- Converted the .esd to .wim
    - Tried Splitting the .wim on a Windows PE USB (32GB formatted with FAT32)
    - Tried Single .wim on a usb drive with a fat32 primary partition and an ntfs one
    - Tried Suggestions on the article and subsequent comments using the included batch files

At the moment when I try to boot not just the HP, just about any laptop I own, whether it be Dells or HP's. I get lines on the display like the video doesn't work. I can't figure out what's going on. I have tried with different Windows versions, pro, enterprise, but no luck.

Apologies if the post is too long or if I missed any details, this is my first post ever here. I tried replying on the attached article, but wasn't able to.

- - - Updated - - -

This is an image of what I get

:)

syslogs, Jun 22, 2020
  2. Uplink10 Win User

Can't disable UEFI boot on HP 250 G3

I got it, I was not accustomed to UEFI (because on HP 4540s I disabled it) and I automatically thought that if I boot from the first menu it will boot in UEFI mode, but I have to go to second menu "Boot From EFI File" to get a list of EFI boot options:

Can't boot uefi IMG_1509375.jpg

I installed Ubuntu Mate and Windows 8.1 from the first menu (the picture) and they both installed in BIOS mode. Quite simple really.

Uplink10, Jun 22, 2020
  3. Alicia Win User
    Can't disable UEFI boot on HP 250 G3

I am really interested in this. I could not install Linux and I don't know why. Was it so simple to install it? The linux I want to install is elementary OS, but I can install other one. How can I do it? Thanks!

Alicia, Jun 22, 2020
  4. OneMoar Win User

Can't boot uefi

Brand new Acer Revo Build stops posting after turning on UEFI

pretty much this

OneMoar, Jun 22, 2020
Thema:

Can't boot uefi

1. Can't boot uefi - Similar Threads - Can't boot uefi

2. UEFI Boot

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    UEFI Boot: Following a Windows 10 updateto version 2004 on 18thAugust 2020, my PC goes into a boot loop, I can get out of it by pressing F12 and selecting Windows Boot Manager rather than the default UEFI partition 1 on a Kingston SSD. The PC then boots and runs normally. I would like...
  3. BIOS / UEFI - can't USB boot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    BIOS / UEFI - can't USB boot: Hi, Problem I'm trying to boot from a USB pen ( Windows Install, Hirens, Any OTHER ) The problem is it sometimes works , sometimes as in Windows installer works when I wipe the on board drive. I can't get it to boot to anything else even when the on board drive it...
  4. UEFI Boot Menu

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    UEFI Boot Menu: I went into my UEFI boot menu yesterday to try to boot to a USB drive and noticed the kanji-looking characters in the screen shot provided. I couldn't use the up/down arrow keys to select a different boot device. The tab key would take me to the "Enter Setup" and "Boot...
  5. UEFI BOOT

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    UEFI BOOT: Hi Smart People Dell Inspiron i5-3x Win10 I recently installed Crucial MS500 500MB SSD replacing a HDD after cloning (Acronis software that is provided by Crucial) and it's experiencing Boot issues. When booting normally it brings me to a screen asking me to select my...
  6. Can't disable secure boot in bios/uefi

Can't disable secure boot in bios/uefi: I'm having trouble installing windows 10 on my new built. after asking a microsoft employee they told me to disable the secure boot. but for some reason there is no option for that, its either - Other OS - Windows UEFI mode what do i do? My mobo is a Asus Prime...
  7. UEFI with Secure Boot (UEFI version) ?

in Windows 10 Support
    UEFI with Secure Boot (UEFI version) ?: I want to enable UEFI with Secure Boot and I do have an option to enable Secure Boot. But how can I tell if I am running UEFI firmware version 2.3.1.c ? Because to enable Secure Boot, machines must have UEFI firmware version 2.3.1.c I went to System Information, but It...
  8. Can't rebuild bcd or boot into uefi

Can't rebuild bcd or boot into uefi: I get error code 0xc000000f when i boot into windows from the install disk I did a ubuntu install that went bad now when i try to boot up windows it goes to the grub command line. so far i tried these bootrec /fixboot (doesnt fail) bootrec /fixmbr (doesnt fail) bootrec...
  9. UEFI boot issues

in Windows 10 Support
    UEFI boot issues: Hi Everyone i recently wiped my PC and reinstalled the most recent ISO from Microsoft, i changed from MBR to UEFI and i'm experiencing a few issues 1. turn pc on without monitor / pc on it turns on and posts but the screens are blank when i power my monitor on 2. if my...
  10. UEFI booting

in Windows 10 Support
    UEFI booting: I created two UEFI bootable USB drives: USB stick 1.) using windows 10 "create recovery drive" - on a 32GB usb 3.0 drive USB stick 2.) using EASE US backup/restore software - on a 4GB usb 2.0 drive Both sticks appear to be UEFI. When I put them in my windows 10 desktop...