Windows 10: Can't boot up using C: drive but working on D drive

Discus and support Can't boot up using C: drive but working on D drive in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; My Windows 10 PC has two hard drives. After trying to install Outlook 2013 (my husband hates Outlook 365) I can no longer boot up the computer onto... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Dinaht, Mar 25, 2019.

1. Dinaht Win User

Can't boot up using C: drive but working on D drive

My Windows 10 PC has two hard drives. After trying to install Outlook 2013 (my husband hates Outlook 365) I can no longer boot up the computer onto the C drive. I've tried all the repair, recovery and refresh options.

I reset the boot order and it's working off the D drive. Once in I can see and use the folders and files in the C drive.

Can I reinstall Windows 10 onto the C drive without affecting the D drive, and how should I do this? I'm nervous about running the media creation tool in case I inadvertently wipe the whole thing - although I have a back up. Is the media creation tool my best option?

:)

Dinaht, Mar 25, 2019

2. No C: but D: drive has all the data

Hi Austin,

To help you with your concern regarding the data on the drive C:, you're seeing the drive "C:" as the drive "D:" because you're booting your computer outside Windows. When booting your computer outside Windows, the system is reading the recovery partition
    as drive C: and the data in the drive C: \ are listed on the drive D: \. Try to boot your computer and try to check again the data in the drive C: \ and see if the data are listed.

Regards.

Virfranz Man, Mar 25, 2019
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    Change "D" drive to "C" drive.

Hi Bill, you can use a program like the free Macrium reflect to clone your C drive onto your D drive, then swap the drives around on the SATA ports on your Motherboard.

Pull the old C drive out and the other drive should then boot up . . .

DaveM121, Mar 25, 2019
  4. Can't boot up using C: drive but working on D drive

D drive

Hi,

Based on the details you have provided us, it appears that there might be some corrupted contents on the said partition. We can also consider that this is caused by a virus.

For us to check if a certain virus is hiding your files, kindly follow the steps below:

• Type Command prompt in the search bar.
    • Type-in the following command:

attrib -h -r -s /s /d D:\*.*
    • Press Enter to execute the command.

If you think that there is nothing important stored in it, then we suggest that you reformat your D drive so that you can use the free space for important files.

You can follow the steps below to start with the process:

• Click on the File Explorer.
    • Select This PC.
    • Right-click on your D drive, then click on Format.
    • Follow the on-screen process to finish formatting the partition.

Let us know how it goes so that we can further assist you.

Engelsen Fad, Mar 25, 2019
Thema:

Can't boot up using C: drive but working on D drive

1. Can't boot up using C: drive but working on D drive - Similar Threads - Can't boot using

2. C drive and D drive switches up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    C drive and D drive switches up: Recently my cpu was hitting 100c so i changed the cooler and now its fine. But in the proces of doing so I accidently unplugged the sata cable from my hdd and plugged it back in. Since I did that now my c drive is my ssd and my d drive is my hdd. And now my c drive is...
  3. C drive and D drive switches up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    C drive and D drive switches up: Recently my cpu was hitting 100c so i changed the cooler and now its fine. But in the proces of doing so I accidently unplugged the sata cable from my hdd and plugged it back in. Since I did that now my c drive is my ssd and my d drive is my hdd. And now my c drive is...
  4. C drive and D drive switches up

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Can't merge drive C: and D:

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't merge drive C: and D:: As the title says i want to merge my two disks into one, but the extend option is greyed out on the disk manager. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-merge-drive-c-and-d/15ee7a18-e393-45bc-8b7c-038de32af610
  6. Can't merge drive C: and D:

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't merge drive C: and D:: As the title says i want to merge my two disks into one, but the extend option is greyed out on the disk manager. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-merge-drive-c-and-d/15ee7a18-e393-45bc-8b7c-038de32af610
  7. Drive C/D

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Drive C/D: So my local disk C is full because it has barely any storage and i need to download some stuff but i cant and i want to switch to my D drive because it has a lot more storage but i dont know what the consequences are and how to do it and if i can do it. If someone could help...
  8. C drive and D drive

C drive and D drive: Hi, I was looking through my files and found my brother's files on my D drive. I asked him to move it to C drive so that it wouldn't appear on my D drive, but when I checked my C drive, he's files were there. I share a laptop with my brother and have our own accounts. Is the...
  9. C drive to D drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    C drive to D drive: So for some reason with this new PC, all of my applications and files were downloaded to my C drive automatically, when I wanted them in the D drive. So i took all of the files in the C drive and copy-pasted them to the D drive, then uninstalled everything from my C drive...
  10. C: and D: drives

C: and D: drives: Laptop came with Windows 8 and 1 TB hard drive which I have 700GB free. Updated to Windows 10 and C: drive is still free but 25GB D: is full https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/c-and-d-drives/036ccbb4-a114-453d-880a-ccece386f1e0