Windows 10: Can't boot up without it asking for either a pin or password

Discus and support Can't boot up without it asking for either a pin or password in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Hi, I had to format the C drive that windows was installed on yesterday. Previous to that I used to press my power button, then shortly after that my... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by CosmicHorizon, Apr 18, 2019.

1. Can't boot up without it asking for either a pin or password

Hi,

I had to format the C drive that windows was installed on yesterday. Previous to that I used to press my power button, then shortly after that my desktop came up and I was ready to go. This does not now happen, and I want to get it back to what it was like before.

So what happens? Before going to the desktop it brings up this other screen demanding I enter a pin. When I delete this requirement in windows, it simply demands I create another one when I start up. It seems I cannot get in unless I either enter my password or a pin. Even then I have to click in order to get to my desktop!

I want it to just go to my desktop without me doing anything at all. Why are Microsoft making this impossible??

One final thing. When I first installed W10 it didn't connect to the internet first thing in the morning, although it does when I restart. I did something to fix this, but can't remember what. Now it's doing it again. I've just switched of windows fast start and see if that helps.

Oh yes, one final thing is that when I boot up my browser automatically comes on with all the tabs I had last session. It's even doing this when I switched off windows fast start. This isn't a problem, but might have something to do with it failing to connect to net from a cold start?

:)

CosmicHorizon, Apr 18, 2019
  2. Dyan Rey Win User

Microsoft Account PIN and password

We appreciate the screenshot that you provided. to start troubleshooting the issue with you logins, we suggest that you follow the steps below on how login pin goes back to password:

• Click Start menu and go to Settings.
    • In Settings, click the Accounts icon.
    • Click on Sign-in options.
    • Change both your password and pin one by one.
    Let us know how it goes.

Dyan Rey, Apr 18, 2019
  3. Windows 10 asking for login password even after upgrading the virus protection on the PC instead of PIN password. How to switch back to PIN password?

Hello Billy,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. We regret the inconvenience caused and will assist you in resolving the issue.

Before assisting further, I would like to ask you few questions:

• Do you see Sign-in options option on the lock screen?
    • Are you using Microsoft account to login into the user profile?

If you have set an alpha-numeric password at the installation stage of Windows 10 OS and then changed the sign-in option to PIN password, you will be able to choose between the passwords entries at the login screen of the Windows.

Method 1: I suggest you to check if you see the
    Sign-in options option on the lock screen. If you do, click on the option and check if you can choose and enter PIN password to access your user profile.

Method 2: If the option is not presented on the lock screen and you are using Microsoft account to login into the user profile,
    I suggest you to change the login password from the link below and set PIN password to your user account by following the steps below.

https://account.live.com/password/reset

• Press Windows logo key on the keyboard, type Settings and select the top most search result.
    • Select Accounts from the options and click on
      Sign-in options
      from the left side panel of the window.
    • Click on Add under PIN settings, verify your account and setup a new PIN password for your user account.

Write to us with the answers to the above questions and the status of the issue on the same post for further assistance. Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Apr 18, 2019
  4. Can't boot up without it asking for either a pin or password

Have PIN for Windows 10 but need Windows password

Hi,

To set up a PIN on your Windows account, we suggest that you follow the steps below:

• Type the word pin in the search box and select
      Set up PIN sign-in

• Under the PIN section, click the
      Add
      button.

• Enter the password for your user account, then click the
      OK button.

• Follow the instructions on the screen.

Let us know how it goes.

Aileen Alf, Apr 18, 2019
Thema:

Can't boot up without it asking for either a pin or password

1. Can't boot up without it asking for either a pin or password - Similar Threads - Can't boot without

2. At start up - asking for PIN not password

in Windows 10 Gaming
    At start up - asking for PIN not password: At startup I'm informed there's something wrong with my PIN instead of asking for Password. If I go the reset PIN route and log into my Microsoft Acct. It states a code was sent to my email but sometime I get it but now nothing comes no matter how many time I request it....
  3. At start up - asking for PIN not password

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    At start up - asking for PIN not password: At startup I'm informed there's something wrong with my PIN instead of asking for Password. If I go the reset PIN route and log into my Microsoft Acct. It states a code was sent to my email but sometime I get it but now nothing comes no matter how many time I request it....
  4. At start up - asking for PIN not password

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. At start up - asking for PIN not password

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Asking for password instead of pin.

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Asking for password instead of pin.: Last night I reset my PC as it was acting slow and app wouldn't start. I chose the option to keep files. This morning it is asking for a password to login rather than a PIN. I have tried resetting my password but the security questions are not the ones I set. I am thinking...
  7. Asking for password instead of pin.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Asking for password instead of pin.: Last night I reset my PC as it was acting slow and app wouldn't start. I chose the option to keep files. This morning it is asking for a password to login rather than a PIN. I have tried resetting my password but the security questions are not the ones I set. I am thinking...
  8. System asking for password during boot up.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    System asking for password during boot up.: I'm trying to help a friend with a computer issue he is having. From what he tells me, his computer was running slow and he tried to speed it up by factory resetting his computer. When all as said and done, he tried starting his computer but during boot up it asks for a...
  9. Can't boot up without it asking for either a pin or password

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't boot up without it asking for either a pin or password: Hi, I had to format the C drive that windows was installed on yesterday. Previous to that I used to press my power button, then shortly after that my desktop came up and I was ready to go. This does not now happen, and I want to get it back to what it was like before. So...
  10. Laptop automatically unlocks without asking for fingerprint/PIN/Password

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Laptop automatically unlocks without asking for fingerprint/PIN/Password: I've bought a new laptop (Huawei Matebook D) a few weeks ago: this is my first laptop with a fingerprint reader, so I don't know if this is a known issue or what, anyway it's been behaving like this since I got it. What happens is that sometimes when I start the laptop, or...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to boot up without password or pin