Windows 10: Can't boot Win10 with hyperthreading enabled (dual Xeon)

Discus and support Can't boot Win10 with hyperthreading enabled (dual Xeon) in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi, for a while now I have been unable to enable my hyperthreading and start windows 10 . When Hyperthreading is enabled in BIOS, it loads up to the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Konichowaa, Oct 13, 2018.

1. Can't boot Win10 with hyperthreading enabled (dual Xeon)

Hi,
    for a while now I have been unable to enable my hyperthreading and start windows 10 .
    When Hyperthreading is enabled in BIOS, it loads up to the point where the windows logo appears, then loads a couple seconds more, then reboots... in a loop up to the point where you need to recover, but then it still can't recover until I disable HT.

I can remember in the beginning when I assembled the computer, to test rendering performance on cinema4D with Vray, I was being recommended to disable HT for better performance, so I did some testing with HT on and off. It was better with HT off for vray, so I left it off

However I recently switched to Corona renderer, but for some reason now I can't get HT back enabled anymore...

The guys at the computer hardware store had no solution for me, and I really wanted to see if I can benefit from HT on such a powerful machine, therefore I tried posting here too... I feel like I'm missing out on 40 cores... Sad

Here is a quick overview of the components, built in 12/2016 :

2x INTEL XEON E5-2698 V4 14NM 2.2-3.6GHZ 50MB 20 CORES --> so a maximum of 80 cores with HT
    ASUS Z10PE-D16 WS --> Bios latest version
    8x KINGSTON 16GB 2400MHZ REG ECC DDR4 KVR24R17D4/16
    SAMSUNG 2000GB 2.5 INCH 850 EVO SERIES MZ-75E2T0B
    CORSAIR HYDRO SERIES H80I V2
    MICROSOFT 64 NL WINDOWS 10 PRO 64BIT OEM - up to date
    CORSAIR AX1500i
    ASUS GEFORCE GTX 1080 STRIX A8G

now here is the mind breaker:

When i set msconfig > boot > advanced options > number of cores > unticked
    I cannot boot with hyperthreading, so leaving HT disabled, then

device manager reads 40 CPU's
    task manager: 2 socket, 40 physical cores, 40 logical cores
    CPU-Z recognizes 2 CPU's with 20 physical/20 threads for each CPU
    render a testframe in 5min54

When i set msconfig > boot > advanced options > number of cores > 40 (which seems to be the maximum in the list)

I CAN boot with hyperthreading enabled, but then

device manager reads 80 CPU's
    task manager: only 1 socket, 20 physical cores, 40 logical cores (so one processor with hyperthreading)
    CPU-Z recognizes only 1 CPU with 20 physical/40 threads
    render a testframe in 5min41, yet somehow cinema4D and windows feel a bit faster

and msconfig > boot > advanced options > number of cores > still has a maximum of 40

I already tried clearing CMOS and upgraded BIOS to last available version
    Also for now, I reset BIOS Settings, so everything is at default exept for the HT and boot configuration
    Are there other settings in the BIOS I must change from defaults?

Any tips are most welcome!
    Feel free to ask more info.
    thanks!

:)

Konichowaa, Oct 13, 2018

2. windows 10 home x64 won´t recognize my second xeon

I have a dual xeon computer (xeon e5620). I upgraded this week to Windows 10 home and now my pc won´t recognize my second processor. Any help? Thanks in advance.

Vitor RF Rodrigues, Oct 13, 2018
  3. Dual XEON CPU on windows 10 home?

Does windows 10 home can handle dual xeon CPU?

Ciprian Draghita, Oct 13, 2018
  4. Can't boot Win10 with hyperthreading enabled (dual Xeon)

Dual Boot Win7 & Win10

Here are my steps for dual booting:

• Create a system image - store it on an external drive

• Disconnect from the Internet and stay disconnected - part of the install asks about connecting
      - do NOT connect just yet.

• Create the space for the 2nd OS.
      This is tricky - drives initialized as MBR can only have 4 partitions (an extended partition allows for more),
      many OEMs create 4 primary parts and you have to adjust their disk schema.

Post a Disk Management screen shotClose the left and right panes
      The columns should also be stretched to clearly show the values, most important is the Status column
      If you have many drives, you might have to adjust the middle separator and drag the bottom edge of the window down to show the maximum information.
      Then in the View menu, pick Top and change it to disk list - no need to post a pic - just note the initialized format (MBR | GPT) and post the information.
    • Unless the 2nd OS will be used on a daily basis, keep the space to a minimum.
      Win10 + pgms on my machine takes up about 15 GB.
      I don't use Win10TP as my main OS - that's Win8.1, so data isn't a concern.
      30 - 50 GB is more than sufficient.

• Once the space is available - take your time here - there are traps with MBR disks.
      If your disk is initialized GPT, no problem - easy! But... MBR - make sure you know what you're doing.
      Just free up enough unallocated space,
      -> do not create a partition and do not format the space.

• When you're ready to install Win10, use a disc to avoid EFI issues.
      1. Boot to the Win10 install disc (see your machine documentation on accessing the Boot Order menu at startup)

+editA
        These steps are probably NOT necessary, it was an afterthought when I installed Win10 the 3rd time as a dual boot to Vista. That is when I noticed the Win10 page file on my Vista boot drive - which caused Vista a bit of a problem (temporary page file created - yada, yada, yada) - I recreated the Win10 page file on it's own partition and then reallocated the Vista page file for good measure.

At the first Win10 install screen, Press Shift+F10
        Then enter these commands in the Console window

^^ denotes comment, not a command
        Launch Diskpart
        lis vol

^^ remove the drive letters from all drives
        ^^ it's easier if you disconnect external drives that aren't needed for this exercise.

sel vol #
        remove letter=
        ^^ specify the letter that was shown for that volume in the lis vol command
        ^^ repeat this (select volume, remove letter=) until there are no volumes with letters shown in lis vol
        lis vol
        exit
        close the Command prompt with the X in the upper right hand corner

You should be back in the Win10 install now.-editA

2. Answer the questions as if you were doing a clean installation (language, region, etc)

3. Choose a custom install
        When it asks you where you want to install, choose the unallocated space
        Let the install complete, the rest should be easy.

+editB
    When Win10 boots up, you shouldn't see any other drives - this is good.
    Configure the volumes for each OS - I suggest that you keep the two OSes separate, only expose the volumes you need to for each OS. Your Win7 should see everything except the Win10 volumes. Your Win10 should only see volumes you'll use in testing (i.e. what ever you create on the currently new and blank SSD).
    If you need data from your existing Win7 install, it's probably better to copy what you need than to expose your good data to Tech Preview code.
    -editB

When Win7 boots up, you will see the Win10 drive - remove the letter from that drive. Keep your system separate.

If at any step above you need some help, please ask ... you might have to wait, please wait. The hardest thing to do is wait and the easiest thing to do is "ooops, but I thought you meant...."

I think I remembered all of the steps I took - but... I'm human too *Wink

Slartybart, Oct 13, 2018
Thema:

Can't boot Win10 with hyperthreading enabled (dual Xeon)

1. Can't boot Win10 with hyperthreading enabled (dual Xeon) - Similar Threads - Can't boot Win10

2. Win10 update fails with Win10/Win10 dual boot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win10 update fails with Win10/Win10 dual boot: Hi,I have an HP Omen 17 laptop with a UEFI dual boot setup- Win10 Enterprise and Win10 Ent LTSC.The Win10 Enterprise is version 1909, and every attempt to update it to 21h0, 21h1 or 21H2 has failed. Error code 0x80242016.I've tried just about every trick in the book to fix...
  3. Can hyperthreading be enabled with Memory Integrity enabled?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can hyperthreading be enabled with Memory Integrity enabled?: Can hyperthreading be enabled on personal laptops with Memory Integrity enabled in Windows 11 Pro 22H2? When hyperthreading is enabled, an event log entry showed mitigations not enabled for virtual machines. One of the personal laptops that is much older does not seem to have...
  4. Can hyperthreading be enabled with Memory Integrity enabled?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can hyperthreading be enabled with Memory Integrity enabled?: Can hyperthreading be enabled on personal laptops with Memory Integrity enabled in Windows 11 Pro 22H2? When hyperthreading is enabled, an event log entry showed mitigations not enabled for virtual machines. One of the personal laptops that is much older does not seem to have...
  5. Dual boot Win10 Win7

Dual boot Win10 Win7: Hi, Some time ago I bought a new laptop with Win10 pre-installed on it and have been trying to make my old programs work with this OS. I've found solutions for most of them but for a couple (a database and some old games) it doesn't seem possible to make them run on Win10....
  6. Enable or Disable Hyperthreading for Security / Performance?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Enable or Disable Hyperthreading for Security / Performance?: I've installed the latest microcode updates for the i7-4500U CPU on my laptop - KB4497165 Intel microcode updates for Windows 10 v1903 - June 18 The referenced article (ADV190013 | Microsoft Guidance to mitigate Microarchitectural Data Sampling vulnerabilities) states To be...
  7. Win10 dual boot

in Windows 10 Support
    Win10 dual boot: Hey there I want some help with my dual boot.i have windows 10 and windows xp installed in my laptop and I want to see the boot choice menu before windows 10 load.Now windows 10 is loading first and give me the choice of Os,for that reason if I choose windows xp my laptop...
  8. Should I enable hyperthreading?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Should I enable hyperthreading?: Hello all, I am seeking some advice / instruction. While looking things over on Speccy, I noticed that hyperthreading is not enabled on my system. Should I enable it, and what would be the benefits. Also, if I do enable, how would I go about it. I will try to post a screen...
  9. Dual Boot Win7/Win10

Dual Boot Win7/Win10: Reloaded factory software on Dell XPS laptop Win7. Created additional partition for Win10. Installed Win10 iso from boot to the separate partition. Previously labeled C drive as Win7 and D drive as Win10. Default boot is Win7. Works fine. On the boot screen I choose Win10....
  10. Dual Boot Win7 & Win10

Dual Boot Win7 & Win10: I used the ISO (64bit) burnt to DVD, changed boot order to install and installed to a new 250GB HDD, setup was about 15 mins and the dual boot works great, Windows 10 installed fine and Windows 7 has not been affected and runs as normal *Biggrin 2010

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cANT BOOT WINDOWS WITH HYPERTHREADING ENABLED