Windows 10: Can't boot Windows, can't reinstall it

Discus and support Can't boot Windows, can't reinstall it in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; This is going to be a bit long, but I want to give details of the issue. Since I was forced to install the latest November update about five days ago,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Escolopendro, Dec 29, 2019.

1. Can't boot Windows, can't reinstall it

This is going to be a bit long, but I want to give details of the issue.

Since I was forced to install the latest November update about five days ago, my PC has been slower than usual, taking a few seconds to open notepad, folders or any file, really. Local music playback was sometimes stopped, like it needed to reload the file. Even startup was taking longer than usual. Windows is installed on an SSD and I have an HDD for data, with two partitions. I decided to run a dskchk and started with one of those partitions on the HDD. After it finished apparently fixing a few bad sectors, Windows Explorer did not detect any of my drives not even the system SSD and kept loading forever. I decided to restart, and about 5 minutes after I clicked the restart button, it actually began to restart. Being stuck at the "restarting" screen for more than five minutes AGAIN, I shut down the computer manually. And I can't use my computer since. It would be weird for the chkdsk to be related to the issue, but more information never hurts.

Upon startup, the welcome screen ASUS is there for a minute and I used to see that screen, like, I don't know, three seconds and when it tries to boot Windows, I get a "Read disk error ocurred" message after a minute or two of black screen. I accessed the BIOS a few times, which showed my HDD as primary boot drive, instead of the SSD. I tried a few things and looked for solutions on the net which I did not find, and ultimately decided to reinstall Windows.

Since I couldn't access my drives for a backup, I used another computer laptop to make a Ubuntu bootable USB drive and used Ubuntu as a portable OS to backup my SSD into an external drive. This process worked flawlessly.

Then, I downloaded the Windows 10 ISO provided at the Microsoft site, made a bootable USB drive using Rufus and tried to reinstall. After a few failed attempts, I reached the Windows logo and the loading animation. After a few minutes loading, I finally got a black screen. And I waited for, like, twenty minutes, but that was all I got. So I used a Windows 10 DVD I had recently burned for someone else, and got the same result. Only noisier. I used the Media Creation Tool which I had on an external drive, since the Microsoft site doesn't seem to provide it any more and got the same result. In fact, I am writing this while my computer is showing that annoying black screen, in the hopes that I will find something different when I'm done.

So, long story short: I can't access Windows though Ubuntu works perfectly and I can't boot any drive to reinstall it.

For the record, I am using a 8GB USB I've noticed installing issues in the past when using larger ones, and it's the same one I've used for every time I've had to install Windows 10.

Thanks in advance.

:)

Escolopendro, Dec 29, 2019
  2. BetoLP Win User

Windows doesn`t start. Authomatic repair doesn`t work.

Thanks for your answer, ken!
    I deleted all my data. I had have it backed up.

I did a clean installation using the windows media creation tool (usb option).

No, I didn`t. I thought a clean installation would solve the problem.

After posting my previous message, I did it.

Can't boot Windows, can't reinstall it [​IMG]

After chkdsk, I close cmd and tried to boot and the laptop just turned it off. This morning I`ve restarted it and automatically windows did a repair. Windows has booted and it seems that the repair tool has removed chrome and acrobat pdf reader (the only two programs I had installed after reinstalling windows).

Now Windows is installing updates and restarting my lapop, I`m kind of frightened. I don`t want it to happen again. Anyhow, I want to know what has brought the issue

I`ve been looking for information about the error code at the end of the picture and I didn`t get anywhere.

BetoLP, Dec 29, 2019
  3. zbook Win User
    Volume Mute Light won´t change color

Which steps did you perform? Was this from a clean boot?
    Open administrative command prompt and type or copy and paste this command: shutdown /r /o /f /t 00
    It will boot to the recovery options or windows advanced troubleshooting menu.
    Click troubleshooting and click reset this computer. You will be saving files. Applications and programs will be removed. Windows will be reinstalled.
    Enter your windows logon password.
    You will see getting things ready with rotating dots.
    Click resetting this PC.
    It will then display the HP logo with resetting this PC with rotating dots and a percentage.

zbook, Dec 29, 2019
  4. soletsky Win User

Can't boot Windows, can't reinstall it

unlock sim t-mobile lumia 521

Thanks for your suggestion, but this is a prepaid phone --- no contract. As I said T-Mobile lists the number under an unknown carrier and suggested I contact Microsoft.

soletsky, Dec 29, 2019
Thema:

Can't boot Windows, can't reinstall it

1. Can't boot Windows, can't reinstall it - Similar Threads - Can't boot can't

2. Bsod. Can't boot, reinstall windows, nor boot in safe mode.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bsod. Can't boot, reinstall windows, nor boot in safe mode.: Happened 2 days ago. I've updated my drivers and I use a external hard drive. The only thing I can access is the recovery page and BIOS. I don't know what to do. My BSOD looks glitched. The smiley face looks like a weird, white block, meanwhile the text is also all glitched...
  3. XP won't boot and can't reinstall

in Windows 10 Gaming
    XP won't boot and can't reinstall: My backup desktop running XP SP3 has become reluctant to boot. It runs CHKDSK on C: and G: , and displays the Desktop, but the Taskbar has an hourglass on it for a minute or so, before the computer turns off. I've replaced the CMOS battery. I've tried to reinstall the O.S....
  4. XP won't boot and can't reinstall

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    XP won't boot and can't reinstall: My backup desktop running XP SP3 has become reluctant to boot. It runs CHKDSK on C: and G: , and displays the Desktop, but the Taskbar has an hourglass on it for a minute or so, before the computer turns off. I've replaced the CMOS battery. I've tried to reinstall the O.S....
  5. I can't boot into USB to reinstall Windows.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I can't boot into USB to reinstall Windows.: So I want to reinstall Windows 10 on my machine. I used Windows Media Creation Tool to create a bootable USB. The problem is I can't get my computer to boot up using the USB instead of the main hard drive. I tried changing the boot mode in the BIOS from Legacy to UEFI with...
  6. Can't reinstall Windows.

Can't reinstall Windows.: I've recently been infected with a computer virus. After I reset my PC, the PC failed to reinstall Windows. After which I tried to reinstall with an installation media and Windows won't download on my drive. It says the drive is of GPT style....
  7. Can't boot into HDD or reinstall windows?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can't boot into HDD or reinstall windows?: So long story short I bought a new SDD and then tried to copy some pictures and files from the old HDD. I don't really know what happened along the way but I must've messed with some security settings and lost access to my HDD. Now I gained back access to it, says those...
  8. Can't reinstall windows

Can't reinstall windows: Hey I have Dell vostro 7580 laptop and yesterday when I turned it on after being in sleep mode at night, I lost the icons of the WiFi and Bluetooth. I talked over the phone with the tech support in Israel cause I'm from Israel and we came to a conclusion that the problem...
  9. Can't boot after reinstall of Windows

Can't boot after reinstall of Windows: My original version was Windows 7 Home Prem OA and I am installing Home Pro It installs, I get to the desktop. I can then install software, updates etc, but if I resart it hangs on the 4 blue windo panes and rotating white dots. I am installing to a 125GB SSD which I...
  10. Can't reinstall

Can't reinstall: Ugh. I tried to reset my PC to its factory settings via the Acer Recovery Management, however I am now presented with a damaged recovery OS and nothing else. I'm 15, so can't go out to buy a new PC (just bought this one 2 days ago) or the Acer Recovery Discs (which I...