Windows 10: Can't boot Windows, help extracting files before resetting?

Discus and support Can't boot Windows, help extracting files before resetting? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Windows won't load and I'm likely going to need to do a fresh install. The problem I think is lack of memory since my drive was almost full.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/TheNomadicAspie, Dec 29, 2020.

1. Can't boot Windows, help extracting files before resetting?

Windows won't load and I'm likely going to need to do a fresh install. The problem I think is lack of memory since my drive was almost full. Troubleshooting the errors didn't work either because just going to the command prompt in the troubleshooting tab leads to not enough memory resources warning.

My main concern is that I am a programmer and have some important documents in my Pycharm (A Python IDE). I have a reset option that gets rid of the apps but keeps the files.

If I do that, will I possibly lose the files that are saved in the folder of my programs?

If so what is the best way to extract the files? I do have am external hard drive.

Should I load a portable OS and somehow extract them that way?

I'm worried about making a wrong move because some of the files I need are irreplaceable. I do have another computer I can use if needed.

submitted by /u/TheNomadicAspie
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/TheNomadicAspie, Dec 29, 2020
  2. pyramid10 Win User

Extracting Zip Files

Are the step-by-step processes identical? That is, the folder extracted from and the folder extracted to belong to the same hierarchical file system structure. If they are, that suggests mildly the Cumulative Update left an electron or two out of place.

pyramid10, Dec 29, 2020
  3. Extracting Zip Files

Thanks pyramid10 for your contribution, I ensured that the steps taken and the source and destination folders were the same, in the using zip7 as suggested by BunnyJ resolved all issues for me.
    I am the first to admit that I am a long long way from understanding the intricacies of computers and if truth be told I am now to old anyway to absorb much information.
    Cheers.

croydonian, Dec 29, 2020
  4. DCEd Win User

Can't boot Windows, help extracting files before resetting?

How do I locate/ extract the imagex.exe file?

To try and keep a long story as short as possible:

I'm trying to install Win 10 on an external SSD, which I can boot on my MacBook Pro.

To complete the installation I have downloaded:
    - install.esd and converted it to install.wim
    - Windows 10 Pro ISO from Microsoft
    - Boot Camp drivers from Apple

The final piece of the puzzle is to complete this step:

• Windows AIK (free) running on your Virtual Machine or on your PC, or just the imagex.exe file (the rest of the Windows AIK package is not needed)

This is to complete this final stage of the installation:

Step 3: Deploy the Windows installation image

1. Still using the command prompt in admin mode (you didn't close it, did you? *Wink ), locate the imagex.exe file mentioned in the "What you'll need" section and access its folder. In our example, we have put this file in C:\imagex\imagex.exe
    2. Your Windows installation ISO has probably several installation options in it. So in order to identify the right one, type in the following:imagex.exe /info C:\wim\install.wim
    3. Now identify the INDEX number of the installation that you wish to deploy. You will use it in the next step.
    4. Type the following and hit enter. Replace 1 with the INDEX you identified in the previous step. Also remember to replace o: with the letter you have chosen in the previous step:imagex.exe /apply C:\wim\install.wim 1 o:
      This will take some time. The Windows installation image is being deployed to your external drive
    5. Once done, type the following to create the boot section (remember to replace o: and b: with the letters you've chosen in the previous step)Can't boot Windows, help extracting files before resetting? :eek::\windows\system32\bcdboot o:\windows /f ALL /s b:

I'm doing this on a Toshiba Laptop running Windows 7.
      I've also purchased a genuine license for Windows 10 Pro.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Thema:

Can't boot Windows, help extracting files before resetting?

1. Can't boot Windows, help extracting files before resetting? - Similar Threads - Can't boot help

2. Can't Extract Zip Files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't Extract Zip Files: Hi, My .zip files can't be extracted. It seems like I can open the zip files and see what is in the folder but for some reason I can't open the documents or files.I've tried restarting the computer and it didn't help....
  3. I can't extract a file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't extract a file: I recently made a logo on shopify and they sent me a file, when I tried to extract it it shows this message: "before you extract files you must copy files to this compressed folder" how can I solve this?...
  4. I can't extract a file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I can't extract a file: I recently made a logo on shopify and they sent me a file, when I tried to extract it it shows this message: "before you extract files you must copy files to this compressed folder" how can I solve this?...
  5. Transfer Files before Factory Reset - HELP

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Transfer Files before Factory Reset - HELP: Long version (short version below): When I bought my Inspiron 15 5000 Series with a solid state (holds OS) and disk drive (1 TB of storage) I didn't realize that the default drive was the solid state one (I'm not computer savvy). So now I'm almost out of space and...
  6. Help extracting large file.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Help extracting large file.: I have a large 34 gb file that takes up the rest of my storage its in rar file form so if i extract it there will still be the rar file left. How would i go about extracting this file submitted by /u/EDGELORDSICKOBAMBA [link] [comments]...
  7. FILE EXTRACTION

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    FILE EXTRACTION: I need to download a program to be able to extract files zip. what Free and Safe program can I download for my windows 10 computer? Thank you for your help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-extraction/bc31b4f1-8d6b-409b-aa6e-d4614eb20fc9
  8. System Restore Wont Work - Can't Extract a Certain FIle.. HELP!

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System Restore Wont Work - Can't Extract a Certain FIle.. HELP!: I cant do a system restore. When I try to i get an error that says this: [img] I deleted the recycle bin in safe mode. But after I tried to run system restore again i safe mode I get the same error message. The message says it failed to extract a certain file. I think...
  9. Can't Extract zipped Files with Windows 10 built in 'Extract' Utility

Can't Extract zipped Files with Windows 10 built in 'Extract' Utility: NOTICE: I had been working to solve a long time problem with my Windows 10 File Explorer Compressed Folder Tool. The option for Windows Explorer to be selected to "Open with" was not available using the older version of Windows. Today, the problem was solved for me by...
  10. Help with extracting a zipped file!

Help with extracting a zipped file!: Because I had a folder downloaded on my PC. And when I was going to extract the zipped file downloaded, thru the file explorer, I'm surprised that the menu for extracting the files wouldn't highlight. So I wonder if I'm doing anything wrong. Here is the image: [ATTACH]...