Windows 10: Can't boot windows install USB in UEFI mode

Discus and support Can't boot windows install USB in UEFI mode in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I'm trying to reinstall windows 10 on my computer. The first time I installed windows it was done in legacy mode and worked find. That was 3 years ago... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by mikee286, Feb 3, 2021.

1. mikee286 Win User

Can't boot windows install USB in UEFI mode

I'm trying to reinstall windows 10 on my computer. The first time I installed windows it was done in legacy mode and worked find. That was 3 years ago now. I made a bootable usb with the windows media creation tool and tried to boot it using UEFI and the ASROCK logo comes up for a few seconds and then the screen either just goes blank and monitor goes into standby or the system reboots.
    I can boot windows install using legacy mode and it goes into setup just fine. I have also tried booting the usb on my laptop which automatically boots using uefi and it works just fine there.
    Other things I have tried include trying another usb drive, different usb ports, disabling legacy CSM mode altogether. I tried resetting the bios to default, I tried booting a linux mint live usb using uefi and that worked but for some reason my windows install usb will not boot. I tried making the bootable usb using the windows media creation tool and also with rufus and have tried 4 different flash drives of 3 different brands 2 sandisks a lexar and some no name cheap thing all give the same result.

One peculiar thing though I did try downloading an older iso of 1909 and put it on the usb using rufus and it booted fine in uefi but I really don't want to install a version that old on my PC if I don't have to. Anything 2004 and newer won't boot in uefi mode.

My specs are Ryzen 5 1400, ASROCK AB350 PRO4 motherboard, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2400, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, Old random WD 500GB HDD, Seagate 1.5TB HDD, Zotac Geforce GTX 950.

:)

mikee286, Feb 3, 2021

2. Trouble installing windows 7 on RAID in UEFI

As the title says, I'm trying to install Windows on a RAID array in uefi on my Maximus V Formula. When using legacy ROM I can install just fine but I go into CSM and change settings to UEFI only, I can build the array in the UEFI Raid driver (IRST tab in "BIOS") but the array does not show up in the boot menu and when I try to install windows (boot from UEFI DVD drive), The drive does not show up in the Windows install. The next thing I tried was to enable UEFI and legacy oprom in CSM, boot from UEFI DVD drive and install to the RAID array (probably detected by legacy oprom) and it will install. After first reboot, Windows Boot manager will show up as an option in the BIOS boot menu so I set that as first boot device and reboot. I will get to the starting windows screen and then BSOD (too quick to get codes) The last thing I tried was Changing to legacy mode and installing windows to a different drive. once installed, I initialized the Raid array as GPT and rebooted, changed csm back to UEFI only but they RAID array still doesn't show in the boot device list so I repeated the earlier process hoping that It might work because I had initialized as GPT but it still BSODs on starting windows screen. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

mystiksinner, Feb 3, 2021
  3. FX-GMC Win User
    Trouble installing windows 7 on RAID in UEFI

I think you were on track with your first try. Windows installer probably needs the RAID driver in order to detect it on install.

Can't boot windows install USB in UEFI mode [​IMG]

FX-GMC, Feb 3, 2021
  4. Can't boot windows install USB in UEFI mode

Failing to install Windows 10 in UEFI boot mode

Hi

I’ve been reading articles in this community and others the last couple of days and I’m getting more and more confused.

I have made my first build with the following equipment:

Asus Prime Z370-P (Bios version 1002x64, firmware 11.8.50.3470)

Intel Core i5 8400 2,8GHz

Samsung 860 EVO Series MZ-76E250B 250GB

and other..

I purchased a Windows 10 Home Eng Retail licence on USB directly from Microsoft.

When installing Win 10 it always ends up being installed in Legacy BIOS mode.

First time, I only followed the instructions on screed and had a successful installation, but in Legacy Bios mode.

The second time I made the following change the UEFI:

Boot\Secure boot\OS type = Windows UEFI mode

Installation was still being made in Legacy Bios mode.

Third time

Boot\Secure boot\OS type = Windows UEFI mode

When Win 10 installation started I entered the cmd prompt and made the following commands in order to change to gpt

Diskpart

List disk

Select disk 0

convert gpt

Exit

I then continued with Windows installation which still ended up in Legacy Bios mode.

I’m getting crazy and I don’t know what I’m going to do : (

What do I need to change in the UEFI?

What do I need to do to prepare the disk for UEFI mode?

Is my purchased Windows 10 USB key prepared for UEFI mode?

Can someone describe, step by step what I need to do?

Magnus_975, Feb 3, 2021
Thema:

Can't boot windows install USB in UEFI mode

1. Can't boot windows install USB in UEFI mode - Similar Threads - Can't boot install

2. Can't boot into windows 10 UEFI usb

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't boot into windows 10 UEFI usb: When i try to boot the windows 10 usb in UEFI mode i get past the post screen to the windows logo, after a few seconds the computer restarts and it just keeps repeating. It works in bios legacy mode. I've managed to install build 1709 from an old iso in UEFI, but newer builds...
  3. Can't boot into windows 10 UEFI usb

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't boot into windows 10 UEFI usb: When i try to boot the windows 10 usb in UEFI mode i get past the post screen to the windows logo, after a few seconds the computer restarts and it just keeps repeating. It works in bios legacy mode. I've managed to install build 1709 from an old iso in UEFI, but newer builds...
  4. Can't boot into windows 10 UEFI usb

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. UEFI Boot Mode

in Windows 10 Customization
    UEFI Boot Mode: A year or so ago, I had a software kaboom in my Dell All in 1. It required that I switch to legacy boot mode, and then restart in Safe mode to get it going again. I have, some time ago tried to get UEFI boot mode back on but it did not work. Now I see the Win 11 will require...
  6. BIOS / UEFI - can't USB boot

BIOS / UEFI - can't USB boot: Hi, Problem I'm trying to boot from a USB pen ( Windows Install, Hirens, Any OTHER ) The problem is it sometimes works , sometimes as in Windows installer works when I wipe the on board drive. I can't get it to boot to anything else even when the on board drive it...
  7. Failing to install Windows 10 in UEFI boot mode

Failing to install Windows 10 in UEFI boot mode: Hi I’ve been reading articles in this community and others the last couple of days and I’m getting more and more confused. I have made my first build with the following equipment: Asus Prime Z370-P (Bios version 1002x64, firmware 11.8.50.3470) Intel Core i5 8400 2,8GHz...
  8. Can't boot Windows 10 installation from USB - UEFI

Can't boot Windows 10 installation from USB - UEFI: Hello! I have my laptop since last december (less than a year), and for unknown reasons, I got a BSOD a few weeks ago and none of the available recovery tools managed to bring me back to my desktop; not even a refresh. That's when I promised myself that I would never ever...
  9. Booting USB installation media on a UEFI system.

Booting USB installation media on a UEFI system.: It might be worth it to make a sticky referencing the Windows 7 tutorial for creating USB flash installation media, specifically the part 11 about moving the EFI files around. I have been bashing my head trying to figure out why my laptop refuses to acknowledge ANY USB Media...
  10. UEFI boot mode and Hiren live USB issu

in Windows 10 Support
    UEFI boot mode and Hiren live USB issu: Hello once again I have a tablet. Model: Haier Y11b Now I have a Hiren bootable USB I want to boot the tablet from this USB but i am not able to do so though the USB stick is shown in the boot device menu but it wont boot instead display a black screen. Is the...