Windows 10: Can't boot Windows, or boot Windows Repair from SSD or USB

Discus and support Can't boot Windows, or boot Windows Repair from SSD or USB in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; My computer isn't able to boot, but more worryingly, I also can't seem to get the Windows Automatic Repair to work. I also am not able to get Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by TurnipHarvester, Sep 19, 2018.

1. Can't boot Windows, or boot Windows Repair from SSD or USB

My computer isn't able to boot, but more worryingly, I also can't seem to get the Windows Automatic Repair to work. I also am not able to get Windows Repair from USB to work.

When I try any of these options, I initially get a black screen with a cyan-ish Windows logo. After a moment, I get the loading circle thing, and then I get a blank screen. Sometimes this screen is black, but most of the the time it's the 'accent color' from the personalization settings screen. Sometimes I get a flash of what looks like a window, but it only lasts for a fraction of the setting. I can move the cursor around, but there's nothing to interact with.

I get this same result whether I select any of the following boot options:

The SSD with Windows 10 x64 Pro installed

Windows Boot Manager

SanDisk (both the UEFI and non UEFI versions yield the same result)

I reset my bios by popping the CMOS battery for a few minutes, and this hasn't affected the results.

The precursor symptom was explorer.exe locking up. I left the room briefly, and when I returned my computer was in its current state.

What else can I try at this point? How likely is this to be a hardware issue?

:)

TurnipHarvester, Sep 19, 2018

2. Windows 10 USB boot

Hi there, am not a windows 10 expert. I have a pc in the bedroom on windows 10, I messed up the bootloader trying to fix the xp on that system.

System wont boot, trying to repair via win 10 usb installer.

Downloaded the media creation tool to install windows 10 installer on usb stick. Not compatible with a host of usb sticks I have. Tried the usb sticks that others use, but I think they use rufus; as the media creation tool by win 10 does not detect the usb stick.

So quick question, the win10 machine i am trying to repair the bootloader is a win7 upgraded to win10.
    If i were to use the usb win10 installer to "repair installation" does the version of the iso downloaded via the media creation tool matter?

There is three options:
    Windows 10
    Windows 10 Home
    Windows 10 N

Also is there a step by step instead of using rufus as I want to try an alternative method of creating a usb win 10 installer. Preferably with more compatibility.

System is a asus sabertooth 990 (r2?) with AMD phenom X 6.

Also is there any other software I can load onto the usb that can repair the bootloader easily?
    That would be the ideal alternative. Thanks

TRUELOVE95, Sep 19, 2018
  3. Windows 10 random automatic repair after changing boot priority.

Hello. So i have an Windows 10 Pro. Sometimes when i am changing in bios boot order from USB to HDD ( SDD ) windows starts booting with AUTOMATIC REPAIR and then restarting. Is this something with BIOS \ Windows 10 bug related? Tested on pc and on laptop , and sometimes it doing the same.

Situation on PC first,listen:

Few days ago after i change boot in UEFI BIOS from USB to SSD.
    Then Windows 10 showed at 1 boot Automatic Repair.
    When starting Windows 10 boot loader starts by "preparing automatic repair" and diagnosing pc.
    Interesting is that if I restart Windows (after procedure mentioned earlier) it will boot normally. This startup problem was occured only when starting system again after shutdown or restarted pc from windows.So i was needed 2 boots to boot properly to windows.
    But on pc, format was needed to remove completely issue and after format is fine.

Pc :
    2x8gb Kingston Hyperx 1600mhz DDR3
    SSD samsung Evo 250 gb
    4790k stock
    Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 2 with UEFI BIOS

Now laptop with old standard bios:
    On laptop i made the same operation, change boot from USB to HDD and on first boot Windows 10 shows Automatic Repair. But it happened once and i cant reproduce. No format was needed.

laptop is very old with 2gb ram

Why on pc format was needed when on laptop not?

Thanks for suggestions.

litwicki24, Sep 19, 2018
  4. Can't boot Windows, or boot Windows Repair from SSD or USB

Windows 10 - Automatic Repair - boots in 2nd cycle

Hello. This is similiar topic on our forum but now i will explain more brighter.
    So last time after i change in my UEFI boot priority from :"UEFI USB KINGSTON" to "P1 SSD SAMSUNG EVO 250 GB" i am getting weird booting problem with Windows 10.

Can't boot Windows, or boot Windows Repair from SSD or USB [​IMG]

When starting Windows 10 boot loader starts by "preparing automatic repair" and diagnosing pc. Then after this i get screen with Your pc did not start correctly or Automatic Repair couldnt repair your pc . And when i click restart then Windows 10 boot fine. So i am needing 2 boots to boot properly to windows.

My disk is on MBR partirion. Is this related to my UEFI/Partitions?

Somebody said to me this:"UEFI booting requires a GPT disk. This is why Windows has to fix itself and only boots in 2nd cycle - as you keep trying to boot UEFI to an MBR disk."

Also i know that UEFI firmware can emulate BIOS functionality (CSM/Legacy) and work with MBR disks just fine. Or i am wrong? And cause is elsewhere?

I am a little confused. Thx for reply. My ssd Samsung Evo 250 GB , rams 2x8gb DDR3 Kingston Hyperx 1600mhz.

litwicki24, Sep 19, 2018
Thema:

Can't boot Windows, or boot Windows Repair from SSD or USB

1. Can't boot Windows, or boot Windows Repair from SSD or USB - Similar Threads - Can't boot boot

2. Stuck on 'Preparing Automatic Repair', can't boot windows from USB either

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Stuck on 'Preparing Automatic Repair', can't boot windows from USB either: Hello,I've been stuck on the Asus preparing automatic repair. I tried installing windows 11 via a USB, but all it does is take me to a black screen with the windows blue logo followed by a white buffer circle and then 5 seconds later the screen just goes black. I can't access...
  3. Stuck on 'Preparing Automatic Repair', can't boot windows from USB either

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Stuck on 'Preparing Automatic Repair', can't boot windows from USB either: Hello,I've been stuck on the Asus preparing automatic repair. I tried installing windows 11 via a USB, but all it does is take me to a black screen with the windows blue logo followed by a white buffer circle and then 5 seconds later the screen just goes black. I can't access...
  4. can not boot from USB for diagnostics / repair

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    can not boot from USB for diagnostics / repair: I've been preparing a USB stick with bootable diasgnostics as I have had a couple of crashes since installing win11However now i find the system wont boot from a USB stick.Can anyone tell me what the "approved" process is to get the system to boot from a USB when Secure Boot...
  5. Can't boot from USB

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can't boot from USB: Hello my name is Ashan.My problem is I can't boot from my USB flash drive. There is no os in my hard drive. And also I don'the have a dvd rom. So my only option is to use USB.When I do boot my pc with USB, it shows the basic steps of the setupchoosing the keyboard layout etc...
  6. Can't get windows to boot from new ssd

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't get windows to boot from new ssd: I've transferred everything to my new ssd using macrium reflect, however when I changed the primary boot drive to my new ssd it my pc will not boot and asks me to go back into bios and select a boot device, any help would be appreciated thanks. (sorry if this isn't the right...
  7. booting Windows repair from usb

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    booting Windows repair from usb: I have had some bios problems since the last windows big update. Now the computer (asus) will not reboot. I have created a usb to reboot or repair the system. I have gone in to bios settings and selected usb boot option. I am still brought back to the repair screen...
  8. Windows not booting from ssd

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows not booting from ssd: I've had windows installed on my ssd for half a year without having any trouble with it but now it doesn't find windows on it anymore. It is like it was deleted from it as it in the bios shows up as a new empty ssd but when I try to install a new version on it, it doesn't...
  9. Can't boot from USB

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't boot from USB: Hello. I had planned to perform a clean install of Windows 10 (I have a 32-bit now and want to change it to 64-bit). However, I cannot find any options for accessing my USB upon boot up, after going to Settings>Recovery>Advanced Startup>Restart Now. I also have the Legacy...
  10. Can't boot from USB

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can't boot from USB: I have a Hp pavillion. I made a usb flash boot drive with acronis 2016 I cant boot to it. This tutorial says that I must boot from within windows 10. I dont see in this post how to do that I only see it fort 8 is 8 the the same. ? 53114