Windows 10: Can't boot windows, PC keeps corrupting drives

Discus and support Can't boot windows, PC keeps corrupting drives in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, I have an old gaming rig and it has not been used for the past 2 years because I built another more powerful. I wanted to sell this old rig but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Mars Cariocecus, Oct 25, 2018.

1. Can't boot windows, PC keeps corrupting drives

Hello,

I have an old gaming rig and it has not been used for the past 2 years because I built another more powerful. I wanted to sell this old rig but when I tried to install Win 10 using a boot DVD after installing everything the PC freezes during the first windows configuration in preparing devices (or something like that, I have windows in Portuguese). I have possibly restored, formatted and installed Win 10 about 5 times and it freezes always at the same place.

After restarting the windows freeze on the very first loading screen with the windows logo and enters in a endless loop of attempting repairs. I checked the SRT Logfile and no errors were found, at first I thought it was the SSD but when tried another SSD with windows 10 already installed(it's the SSD I have in my newer rig and use it every day) windows booted but after a minute or so it freeze on desktop, no BSOD or any kind of errors, restarted the PC and now this SSD was also corrupted and giving the same problem, luckily I managed to recover this SSD when I installed it again in the newer PC.

I changed the SATA cable and tried to plug the cable in other sockets but no luck, removed the RAM, flashed the BIOS but no luck again (I have yet to update the BIOS), I have installed a new GTX 1060GB and was using it during the Windows installation so I doubt it was that, could it be the PSU? or the cable that powers the SSD? I have always figured how too repair other PCs and I have already built a lot of them but this time I am completely defeated. Unless it's an hardware problem I am out of options.

The specs are:

i7 3770k overclocked in the past but at stock right now(default BIOS)
    Coolermaster V8 GTS CPU cooler
    Asus Sabertooth Z77
    Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB
    GTX 1060 6B
    Coolermaster 1000w PSU
    2TB HDD
    120GB SDD

I would like to thank you in advance and sorry for the very long post.

Have a good day

:)

Mars Cariocecus, Oct 25, 2018
  2. keakar Win User

HDD keeps getting corrupted

it sounds like windows is corrupted by a spastic hard drive not reading properly. there could be many causes of this but the only fix you can do is buy a new drive.

i suggest you do a complete format of the entire 160gb drive then partition as desired and install windows fresh.

if that does it then it was just corrupted data but if it still acts up then toss the drive, its screwed

worse case, you just use the 320gb drive for everything.

keakar, Oct 25, 2018
  3. Windows 7 booting off wrong drive?!?!?

Please move if this is in the wrong place.

I have two hard drives, a 1.5TB drive, and a 160GB drive. Windows is installed on the 1.5TB drive, as are all my files and programs. The 160GB drive has a bunch of old files, and apparently the bootmgr and boot folder. Nothing else is on the 160GB drive, other than media files etc.

If I remove the 160GB drive from the machine, windows refuses to boot, plug it back in, it works fine. The setup with two hard drives I have now is temporary, as the 160GB drive will go into another machine.

My question is, can someone give me a step by step on how to make windows force to boot off the 1.5TB drive, ignoring the 160GB drive in the boot process completely?
    I don't know how to do this in Windows 7, on XP I would just run the /fixmbr command and its related ones.

Any help would be appreciated.

Note: I would really really rather not have to wipe and reinstall, I know it can be done without one as I've had this issue with XP before.

speedy11131, Oct 25, 2018
  4. techbuzz Win User

Can't boot windows, PC keeps corrupting drives

MBR keeps corrupting after restart

I have a machine that when restarted or allowed to go into hibernation, I receive a missing/corrupted master boot record message and Windows doesn't boot. I am able to successfully repair the MBR each time using Windows recovery console, but I'm unable to determine what keeps making it happen.

Dell Latitude E6420
    Windows 7 64bit

Steps performed so far: -besides fixing the MBR after each restart or hibernation
    -ran system file checker sfc /scannow
    -ran chkdsk
    -verified that ACHI was enabled in the bios

If I can't figure this out I will end up just reinstalling the operating system, but I worried that the issue with just reoccur later down the line. Any advice/recommendations would be much appreciated.

techbuzz, Oct 25, 2018
Thema:

Can't boot windows, PC keeps corrupting drives

1. Can't boot windows, PC keeps corrupting drives - Similar Threads - Can't boot keeps

2. Multiple Hard Drives/ Multiple Boots/Corrupt

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Multiple Hard Drives/ Multiple Boots/Corrupt: So, I have two different drives I use to boot my PC. One came with the PC, it's HDD, it has an OS with Windows 10 on it. The second is an m.2 SSD, I mainly use this one. The second has Windows 11 with all my saved games. Recently I've been trying to overclock my CPU, and...
  3. PC not booting. Bios corrupted

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PC not booting. Bios corrupted: My HP Pavilion 350 G1 i7 4500u is not booting after I did an automatic restore. I found out that the BIOS has been corrupted. I did a BIOS recovery using a USB drive by downloading from HP driver and software. But it's still not working. My PC has been updated to windows 10...
  4. PC not booting. Bios corrupted

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC not booting. Bios corrupted: My HP Pavilion 350 G1 i7 4500u is not booting after I did an automatic restore. I found out that the BIOS has been corrupted. I did a BIOS recovery using a USB drive by downloading from HP driver and software. But it's still not working. My PC is in windows 10 and the BIOS on...
  5. PC not booting. Bios corrupted

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC not booting. Bios corrupted: My HP Pavilion 350 G1 i7 4500u is not booting after I did an automatic restore. I found out that the BIOS has been corrupted. I did a BIOS recovery using a USB drive by downloading from HP driver and software. But it's still not working. My PC is in windows 10 and the BIOS on...
  6. My windows 10 pc keeps corrupting

My windows 10 pc keeps corrupting: My windows 10 pc keeps corrupting after a restart or 2. i have did a clean install of windows a several times and still the problem continues https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-windows-10-pc-keeps-corrupting/eba40d25-59d0-4b87-b93f-d53639c34a54
  7. Corrupted boot hard drive and reinstalling Windows?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Corrupted boot hard drive and reinstalling Windows?: Hello all! Posting from a throwaway I have a corrupted hard drive issue that I am trying to resolve. I was trying to wipe it clean and start fresh with a completely new install of Windows 10. The new install failed, and I received a blue screen of death error. No matter what...
  8. Badly corrupted boot drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Badly corrupted boot drive: My goal here is to try to fix my current issues without deleting anything/any applications. Last month's update really damaged my computer badly for no absolute reason at all. Now my pc is near to inaccessible. Other suggested media creation tool which i could not use due...
  9. PC can't boot Windows

PC can't boot Windows: My PC gets to blue screen during boot process. It is occurring in the following order. I am trying to start my computer, it gives me blue screen and gives two options: troubleshoot or turn it off. I got stuck because troubleshooting ends with nothing....
  10. Windows got corrupted while installation, can't boot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows got corrupted while installation, can't boot: So I am in a weird kind of situation. I was expecting some issues with windows like some apps ( AMD Driver Updates, Razer Cortex ) not installing due to some permission issues ( Eindows cannot find the file specified.). I was on Windows 10 1803. So I thought to reinstall...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows keeps corrupting

2. windows keeps corrupting after restart of pc

3. windows keeps corrupting and cant update on ssd