Windows 10: Can't boot without ESD-USB plugged in.

Discus and support Can't boot without ESD-USB plugged in. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Same issue as there, but the difference is that it's not the USB that "is somehow corrupted" which is not a solution to my problem.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by MatthieuSimard, Mar 17, 2021.

1. Can't boot without ESD-USB plugged in.

Same issue as there, but the difference is that it's not the USB that "is somehow corrupted" which is not a solution to my problem.
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/windows-10-isnt-booting-without-an-usb-connected/1a2a09ad-6b22-4eaa-a8ab-6dcd67b2aafe

I tried to fix the UEFI partition with diskpart and assigning a letter and Bootrec /fixboot but it says access is denied.

I'm so exhausted that I don't know what to say.

The only way I can boot is by selecting ESD-USB's non UEFI entry from the boot menu.

When I disconnect my USB ESD, wallpaper disappears and I can't right click winlogo menu anymore to display the nameless menu that I won'T name because it's nameless and it starts with "apps and features" themn "power options" and the list is long and there's no spot where that list is given a name so it'S a nameless list and it's not visible when I unplug the usb, it shows nothing, until I plug the ESD USB back in then I right click winlogo and I see the nameless menu again.

So it's a proof that Windows is putting system files on the USB ESD.

My computer cannot boot without that ESD USB and the day it'll decide to break, i'll be screwed. Don'T all USB keys eventually burn anyways?

I tried the fixboot tutorials and even those that tells how to bypass the access denied, but I have a denieder and a deniedest access so dangit, I'm screwed and my PC before me.

There's no relevant articles on topic other than those that doesn'T work and the one linked which's solution is "it was the USB". IT'S not the USB. It's Windows that stupidly spreads all its system files on the first-came vagabond drive.

And I bought EASY RE from EASY BSD and it's a total waste of my meagre money. The dang thing can't even see my Windows drive to begin with. So much for a "guaranteed" software. I asked for a refund and I still got no reply. So much for a "guaranty"

:)

MatthieuSimard, Mar 17, 2021

2. Restore previous data before external harddrive was made ESD-USB bootable drive

Hi Ashish,

ESD-USB is only the name of windows installation file and it is on its own disk partition.
    Your data and files are still on the disk but windows can´t see them. When you open the
    Disk Manager you should see empty space behind your ESD-USB. We have found a thread with the same issue as yours, we suggest that you follow the steps given by

Jimzamjimmyy
    on the second page:
    Accidentally Converted External Hard Drive to "ESD-USB".
    His response was created on
    December 31, 2016 and helped 17 people.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Janeane Cru, Mar 17, 2021
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    ESD USB (ECan't boot without ESD-USB plugged in. :) Query

Don't touch the System Reserved drive - that is managed by Windows 10 - you could brick your system if you mess with that partition!

The ESD USB is a partition on your Backup Drive. It is probably showing up in Windows File explorer as Drive E, but it is just a partition . . .

At some stage you must have used the Media Creation Tool to create that partition for installing or updating Windows.

• You should now delete that ESD USB partition in Disk Management, it will become unallocated space
    • You also have another 746GB unallocated space on that backup drive
    • Right click and extend the middle partition to claim back all the unallocated on that drive

DaveM121, Mar 17, 2021
  4. cadaveca Win User

Can't boot without ESD-USB plugged in.

Can't boot into windows with usb hub plugged in

Check boot order, make sure the hub/whatever is not being set as the first boot device. Other than that, if it has a power switch, turn it off until needed!

I have an Aluratek USB2.0/SATA dock. if it's plugged in, or if I have one of my USB 3,0 drives plugged in, boot will either fail, or take an eternity. Hardware incompatibilites still happen, unfortunately.

cadaveca, Mar 17, 2021
Thema:

Can't boot without ESD-USB plugged in.

1. Can't boot without ESD-USB plugged in. - Similar Threads - Can't boot without

2. Is this esd usb normal

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is this esd usb normal: Hey recently I tried installing a new Windows from a bootable drive but after flashing the iso through the media installer it showed this logo instead of the normal one does this affect my Windows installation on another PC or is it okI did go through the installation by...
  3. Is this esd usb normal

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is this esd usb normal: Hey recently I tried installing a new Windows from a bootable drive but after flashing the iso through the media installer it showed this logo instead of the normal one does this affect my Windows installation on another PC or is it okI did go through the installation by...
  4. Can't boot laptop without external monitor plugged in

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't boot laptop without external monitor plugged in: Hello everybody I have such a problem that when I turn on my laptop without the second monitor plugged in it doesn´t turn on like it turns on but does not load anything just a black screen. But when I plug the second monitor I leave it a little time so then it works like...
  5. Can't boot laptop without external monitor plugged in

Can't boot laptop without external monitor plugged in: Hello everybody I have such a problem that when I turn on my laptop without the second monitor plugged in it doesn´t turn on like it turns on but does not load anything just a black screen. But when I plug the second monitor I leave it a little time so then it works like...
  6. ESD-USB

in Windows 10 Gaming
    ESD-USB: I have installed windows on an external hard drive it had very old photos, when i tried accessing the hard drive again after i have installed windows all the photos and data have been erased and the hard drive name has been changed to ESD-USB format... what do i do to...
  7. ESD-USB

ESD-USB: I have installed windows on an external hard drive it had very old photos, when i tried accessing the hard drive again after i have installed windows all the photos and data have been erased and the hard drive name has been changed to ESD-USB format... what do i do to...
  8. My PC can't identify the ESD-USB device

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My PC can't identify the ESD-USB device: I try to find a solution from the internet, but on one can help. So I come here.I use the Windows official tool to make my Sandisk thumb drive16GB Cruzer Blader as an installation media.And it works, the USB device was renamed as ESD-USB.But when I plug in this device agaist...
  9. My PC can't identify the ESD-USB device

My PC can't identify the ESD-USB device: I try to find a solution from the internet, but on one can help. So I come here.I use the Windows official tool to make my Sandisk thumb drive16GB Cruzer Blader as an installation media.And it works, the USB device was renamed as ESD-USB.But when I plug in this device agaist...
  10. My PC can't identify the ESD-USB device

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware