Windows 10: Can't bulk import "contacts" from Windows 7 contacts folder into People on Windows 10

Discus and support Can't bulk import "contacts" from Windows 7 contacts folder into People on Windows 10 in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I am trying to get the contents of a user's "Contacts" folder available as contacts in the Windows Mail App. The computer was previously running... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Paul-Adams, Feb 27, 2020.

1. Can't bulk import "contacts" from Windows 7 contacts folder into People on Windows 10

I am trying to get the contents of a user's "Contacts" folder available as contacts in the Windows Mail App. The computer was previously running Windows 7 I don't know its history any further back than that, and I was able to cleanly upgrade it to Windows 10 without having to start clean.

This situation arose as I assisted a neighbor to upgrade his PC from Windows 7 to Windows 10. Now, his user profile has a Contacts folder which contains looking at file properties files having an extension of ".contact".

His People App has one record in it - my contact, which I added before he advised me that he had a swag of "Contacts" that he wanted to transfer.

Dragging and dropping a ".contact" file on the People or Mail App doesn't do anything, and attempts to use "Import" just asks me to add an account. I don't have an account to add - it already exists, but the contacts are not associated with it. I tried removing the mail account and re-adding it it's simply an IMAP account with an ISP, but directing me to this process seems to expect that the mail server stores his contacts, which it doesn't, and isn't what we want anyway - we want to add the contacts that are stored as ".contact" files on the PC.

Apart from manually opening each of his 362 contacts, copying and pasting one field at a time flipping back and forth between "Contacts" and the People App, how do I transfer the Contacts?

Alternative, as I have already discovered that People will import .vcf files double-click the .vcf file in File Explorer, then click "Add" in the People App, how do I export as a bulk operation, again, not one at a time .contact files into .vcf files?

BTW: I will point out that this last option is the second least preferable, beaten only by field-by-field copy and paste for being the worst way of effecting this transfer.

:)

Paul-Adams, Feb 27, 2020
  2. abredt Win User

Outlook People Not in Contacts Folder

I exported Windows Live Contacts from Windows 7 computer and imported them into Outlook 2016 on Windows 10.
    The contacts appear in Outlook People and in Address Book.

The Contacts folder in C: >Users>Username>Contacts is empty.
    I am the only user.

Should the contacts also be in there?
    How can I get them there?
    Thanks, cb

abredt, Feb 27, 2020
  3. abredt Win User
    Outlook People Not in Contacts Folder

Thanks.

Can you tell me where the Contacts are stored?

I also want to back up the Contacts.

In Outlook, People I clicked to Export to a File. It lists Contacts and 2 folders under it with long numerical filenames. What are these folders?

Thanks, cb

abredt, Feb 27, 2020
  4. bestellen Win User

Can't bulk import "contacts" from Windows 7 contacts folder into People on Windows 10

Deleting contacts from Windows 10

When you say Windows Mail Live are you referring to Mail app or Windows Live Mail?

I suggest you to try the steps provided below and check if it helps.

• Open Windows Live Mail.
    • Press Ctrl + 3 using your keyboard. Right-click on the contact to delete it if it is a single contact.
    • Highlight all contacts by pressing Ctrl + A.
    • Click Delete located on the Ribbon bar.
    • Click OK when you see the message These contacts will also be deleted from Hotmail, Messenger, and other Windows Live services.

After following the steps above, all your contacts that you have manually added to your account will be deleted however, contacts coming from third-party sites such as Facebook will not be deleted unless you remove Facebook from your account.

For Mail app:

Open People app then delete the contact.

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

bestellen, Feb 27, 2020
Thema:

Can't bulk import "contacts" from Windows 7 contacts folder into People on Windows 10

1. Can't bulk import "contacts" from Windows 7 contacts folder into People on Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Can't bulk import

2. Importing Google Contacts into People App

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Importing Google Contacts into People App: How do I import my Google contacts into People without having to add the Google account.Can I import a csv into people??James https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/importing-google-contacts-into-people-app/e7da5b0d-7e44-4c48-9135-6f8c2dba2e29
  3. Importing Google Contacts into People App

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Importing Google Contacts into People App: How do I import my Google contacts into People without having to add the Google account.Can I import a csv into people??James https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/importing-google-contacts-into-people-app/e7da5b0d-7e44-4c48-9135-6f8c2dba2e29
  4. Importing contacts into People in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Importing contacts into People in Windows 11: New laptop with Windows 11 installed and updated. Email works OK but I cannot import my old contacts ,csv file into the People section of Mail. Instructions on windows help shows for Windows 10, and People in 11 does not show importing files the same as the instructions....
  5. Importing contacts into People in Windows 11

Importing contacts into People in Windows 11: New laptop with Windows 11 installed and updated. Email works OK but I cannot import my old contacts ,csv file into the People section of Mail. Instructions on windows help shows for Windows 10, and People in 11 does not show importing files the same as the instructions....
  6. Importing Live Mail contacts to the Windows-10 New Mail People folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Importing Live Mail contacts to the Windows-10 New Mail People folder: I just set up a new PC, and cannot set up Windows Live Mail, as it is no longer supported. I tried to import contacts into the Windows-10 People folder, but it cannot find my Live Mail account. I find no 'help' established for this. Seems Windows-10 mail is geared for mobile...
  7. import windows 7 contacts to windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    import windows 7 contacts to windows 10: how do i import my windows vista and 7 contacts/address book to windows10 people ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/import-windows-7-contacts-to-windows-10/0a88ef82-dda7-4705-a194-0c714c4ef704"
  8. Importing contacts to People app

Importing contacts to People app: Why isn't there a simple way to import .csv or .vcf files into the Windows 10 People app? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-win_people/importing-contacts-to-people-app/0d68f2a1-021b-436f-a663-d6cfd36ed24a
  9. Importing Contacts to Windows 10 People

in Browsers and Email
    Importing Contacts to Windows 10 People: I've sent my contacts from Outlook to a .csv file. I cannot find a way to import that file into Windows 10 People app. I've been searching and searching online, and the only instructions I've found is to link my Outlook to People, and even that doesn't work. When I've...
  10. Export and Import Contacts for People app in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Export and Import Contacts for People app in Windows 10: How to: Export and Import Contacts for People app in Windows 10 How to Export and Import Contacts for People app in Windows 10 The People app included in Windows 10 puts all the ways you connect with all your friends, family, colleagues, and acquaintances in one place,...