Windows 10: can't bypass lock screen to go straight to desktop

Discus and support can't bypass lock screen to go straight to desktop in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I have read this thread "Can't boot up without it asking for either a pin or password" and I am either confused by the verbage or it just doesn't work... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by giwatcher, May 17, 2019.

1. giwatcher Win User

can't bypass lock screen to go straight to desktop

I have read this thread "Can't boot up without it asking for either a pin or password" and I am either confused by the verbage or it just doesn't work for me.
    My situation is a brand new Dell laptop with win 10 pro. Out of box setup forced me to enter a pin, and I assume this is for a Microsoft acct, because it also forced me to enter my prior Hotmail email to proceed. This created a requirement to enter a pin on the lock screen to get to desktop when booting. I want to boot directly to desktop. Your forum and other searches lead me to use the netplwiz approach. Not only did this not work, but it now directs me to a lock screen that says incorrect password. Clicking that shows my name TWICE on the bottom left screen, indicating that there are now 2 accts. One name is highlighted, apparently a new default acct, and that is the one with a failed sign in. If I select the other identical name, I can enter my original pin and successfully go to the desktop. I have unchecked the require password box in user acct. The user acct only lists one name, not the same name twice. I need help to eliminate what appears to be 2 accts.The netplwiz approach created this problem and I want to undo it, with the idea of eventually being able to boot directly to desk top. Please help.

:)

giwatcher, May 17, 2019

2. From Sleep Straight To Desktop WITHOUT Lock Screen

Hey Dick, thanks for the comment. Looked there. Requires a Password, never had one:

can't bypass lock screen to go straight to desktop [​IMG]

Ken, that's what's at the top of "my list".

Wiley Coyote, May 17, 2019
  3. DaveToms Win User
    Broken security by bypassing lock screen on restart

Question:

Why does Windows bypass the lock screen when it restarts after a Windows update? I consider this a security design flaw. If a maintenance crew came by my home while I'm at work to do some home renovation upgrades but they left the
    front door unlocked when they finished, when I got home I'd wonder what on Earth they were thinking. I hope I've just missed a setting somewhere to disable this.

Three things I accept:

1. Locking my computer to protect my privacy.

2. Windows restarting after an update.

3. Windows automatically updating, which is frustrating but acceptable.

But I don't accept Windows bypassing the lock screen after an update.

Precondition:

Windows 10 is set up to require a password at sign in, both on startup and on the lock screen.

Steps to reproduce:

Step 1: Lock the computer.

Step 2: Leave the room.

Step 3: Wait for Windows to perform an automatic system update.

Step 4: Windows restarts automatically.

Problem 1: Windows bypasses the lock screen, instead signing in and showing the desktop.

Problem 2: Come home and book a doctor's appointment to deal with the stress of seeing my computer unlocked.

It's my first post in the community so suggestions about posting etiquette are welcome.

DaveToms, May 17, 2019
  4. f14tomcat Win User

From Sleep Straight To Desktop WITHOUT Lock Screen

Clayton, That is just to let the option to Lock you device display in the signon/lock screen.

The other question, might be this. "been away" is a nebulous term, could mean anything, like timed-out and went to sleep, or you put it in sleep.

can't bypass lock screen to go straight to desktop [​IMG]

f14tomcat, May 17, 2019
Thema:

1. can't bypass lock screen to go straight to desktop - Similar Threads - can't bypass lock

2. Go straight to Desktop after Display turns off

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Go straight to Desktop after Display turns off: I've had a search but can't find what I'm after. I have my laptop set to turn off the screen after 10 mins. I don't have a Microsoft account which I have to sign into on each start. On my previous 8.1 laptop after the screen had turned off, I could move my mouse and it...
  3. Bypass Win 10 Lock Screen

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Bypass Win 10 Lock Screen: Win 10 gpedit "Navigate to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Control Panel > Personalization" does not show Personalization. I want to bypass / eliminate lock screen. Have tried entry in Register, doesn't consistently work....
  4. bypass lock screen

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    bypass lock screen: how do I get into my Lenovo ideapad bypassing the screen lock passcode I cant get into the computer cause I forgot the passcode and doing a factory reset didn't work. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bypass-lock-screen/c2b1ec96-53dc-421c-ba79-6d0789e4937c"
  5. From Sleep Straight To Desktop WITHOUT Lock Screen

in Windows 10 Support
    From Sleep Straight To Desktop WITHOUT Lock Screen: Originally I had this machine set up to go straight to the Desktop from Sleep with NO Lock Screen. One of the updates changed that last year and I've been trying to figure out where to reset it. That being said, what exactly does this "Lock" setting do? [img] As always, I...
  6. How do I bypass the opening picture screen and go straight to the sign in screen?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do I bypass the opening picture screen and go straight to the sign in screen?: When I 1st turn on my laptop it shows different pictures from all around the world and up it the corner it asks if I like the picture and want to see more like it. As soon as I touch anything on the scree it going to the password enter screen. How do I bypass the opening...
  7. On computer wakeup, how do go straight to my desktop? stop Lock screen

On computer wakeup, how do go straight to my desktop? stop Lock screen: Every morning when I press a key to wake my computer up, I then have to click 2 more times to get off the screen the MS shows me before I can get to my desktop. I think it's called the Lock screen. But it's always some picture with a message up top that says "Like what you...
  8. Bypass lock screen after sleep

Bypass lock screen after sleep: New Dell Inspiron running W10 1607 HOME needs to have lock screen bypassed when awakening from sleep. Virtually every suggested tweak in various forums has been tried. None succeeds. Netplwiz: unchecking the "users must use" box Power Options: there are no references to...
  9. how do I go straight to desktop

how do I go straight to desktop: I want to be able to go straight to desktop when the computer wakes up or turns on. I do not want to see 'like what you see' or a login prompt. I am the only one using my computer and am tired of having to click my way to the desktop every time I sit down. These features are...
  10. Lock screen bypassed on its own?

in Windows 10 Support
    Lock screen bypassed on its own?: Hello, Recently i notice that i am not being presented with the lock screen initially before the login screen. I don't recall doing anything to bypass the lock screen. Any idea how to get the lock screen back please? Thanks, Troy. 20680

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cant bypass lock screen

2. windows 10 build 1903 can not bypass background screen when computer wakes up

3. cant bypass lock screen to go straight to desktop