Windows 10: Can't change a file to read only

Discus and support Can't change a file to read only in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, I was trying to set a file to read only but I keep getting an access is denied message, I've looked online for solutions but can't seem to find... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Will_124, Mar 11, 2020.

1. Will_124 Win User

Can't change a file to read only

Hi,

I was trying to set a file to read only but I keep getting an access is denied message, I've looked online for solutions but can't seem to find one that works.

Can't change a file to read only 67269a96-8317-40f1-b3d2-d374e19dd83a?upload=true.png

This is the message I keep receiving, my account is set to administrator so not really sure what to do.

Thanks, Will

:)

Will_124, Mar 11, 2020
  2. Jsssssssss, Mar 11, 2020
  3. Edge Search Does Not Permit Change of Region

I got these suggestions from the Microsoft Community forum.No. 1 worked for me:

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.
    We have reproduce the issue here and we are able to access non-regional search for google using Microsoft Edge.
    I would suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.
    Step 1:
    Clear browsing data option of Microsoft Edge and check if you face the issue. To do so perform the steps below.

1. Click on the More actions icon next to the feedback icon present on top right corner of the Project Spartan homepage.
    2. Select Settings and click on Choose what to clear.
    3. Check the boxes Browsing history, Cookies and saved website data and Cached data and files and click on Clear.
    Step 2:
    I suggest you to create a new user account and check if the issue occurs.

1. Go to Settings.
    2. Choose Accounts and then select Family and other users.
    3. Select add someone else on this PC.
    4. Enter a user name and hit next.
    5. Click on Finish.
    6. Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.
    Step 3:
    It could also happen because of network issue. I suggest you to try with different network connection and check if it helps.

hurricane51, Mar 11, 2020
  4. Marie Ave Win User

Remove read only from files

Hi,

Read-only is a file attribute, or a characteristic that the operating system assigns to a file. Files can be only opened or read with this attribute active. You cannot delete, change, or rename any file that’s been flagged as read-only.

To change the read-only attribute, follow the steps below:

• Right-click the file or folder icon that you wanted to modify.

• Remove the check mark by the Read-Only item in the file’s
      Properties
      dialog box.

The attributes are found at the bottom of the General tab.

• Click Apply then OK.

Hope this helps. Let us know if you need further assistance.

Marie Ave, Mar 11, 2020
Thema:

1. Can't change a file to read only - Similar Threads - Can't change file

2. File on a shared drive is on read only and user can't make changes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File on a shared drive is on read only and user can't make changes: I recently had a problem with the user that has an excel workbook that is on read only and the file is on a shared drive,the user can not make changes when I tried to troubleshoot it required an administrator password to give permissions...
  3. read only change

in Windows 10 Gaming
    read only change: how to fix the stubborn read-only status ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/read-only-change/f469db65-bc46-4459-8935-8505d683998e
  4. read only change

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    read only change: how to fix the stubborn read-only status ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/read-only-change/f469db65-bc46-4459-8935-8505d683998e
  5. read only change

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Can't change file permissions file set to read only cant't change this.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't change file permissions file set to read only cant't change this.: I can't change the file that the game Terraria uses for saving data. by that I mean something is blocking the write property of the files that store the world and player save data. I've tried all the suggestions mentioned by the error message that comes up whenever I try to...
  7. Can't change file permissions file set to read only cant't change this.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't change file permissions file set to read only cant't change this.: I can't change the file that the game Terraria uses for saving data. by that I mean something is blocking the write property of the files that store the world and player save data. I've tried all the suggestions mentioned by the error message that comes up whenever I try to...
  8. Can't take read only of files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't take read only of files: Hi i cant take read only off files. Can anyone help? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-take-read-only-of-files/40ab6786-f6fb-4f4e-8f48-5a24a1d25ba1
  9. Can't change Read Only Setting for files on External Hard Drive

Can't change Read Only Setting for files on External Hard Drive: Hello folks. I have Windows 10 and cannot change the "Read-only" setting for my files on my external hard drive. I've come across the issue because I'm trying to edit music in iTunes. Every time I unclick the Read-Only attributes in General Settings, it runs through all...
  10. all my files are read only and can't be changed

all my files are read only and can't be changed: All of my files have become read only files and I can no longer right to them regardless of what I do to change them. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/all-my-files-are-read-only-and-cant-be-changed/00b2e9c1-b282-4ac5-a4b2-11d560d2243d"