Windows 10: Can't change default app for .dat file extesnsion.

Discus and support Can't change default app for .dat file extesnsion. in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Dear support team, I am trying to open .dat files but it is set to open with Power Media player for Dell. I tried to change it to notepad but it does... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Rabinchand, Jul 4, 2019.

1. Can't change default app for .dat file extesnsion.

Dear support team,

I am trying to open .dat files but it is set to open with Power Media player for Dell. I tried to change it to notepad but it does not give me the option to choose it. I even uninstalled that application but when i try to set up the default app it ask me to goto m-store when i already have a notepad. Any suggestions?

Thank you

Rabin

:)

Rabinchand, Jul 4, 2019

2. Can't change default program to open files.

Hi,

I'm trying to change the default program for .dwg files from Autocad to Draftsight.

I already tried:

• right click > open with > choose another app > always use this app. The file opens in Draftsight without problems, but it still opens with Autocad the next time you double click a dwg file.
    • settings > apps > default apps > choose default apps by file type. This also does not change the default method to Draftsight.

When I type assoc .dwg in command prompt, it shows ".dwg=DraftSight.Drawing"

I see some suggestions to try using the old interface through control panel, but it seems like control panel routes to the new interface.

I also tried changing the association for .txt files from notepad to notepad++ and it doesn't work either.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

petersteele, Jul 4, 2019
  3. Windows 10 1803 default app change bug

When right clicking a file and going to "Open With", no matter what file it is, I can't change its default. The box is checked, and the app doesn't change.

This is also true of right clicking and going to "Properties". When I click change, the default doesn't change.

This is happening to me on 3 computers now. Steps to reproduce? I could probably do it by:

Installing Windows 8.1, and upgrading to 10 with the media creation tool.

This does not happen with a fresh install from a USB with Windows 10.

Don't tell me to go to "Settings" and change the defaults. The file type list is horrible, and some of my file types are not listed. The registry is not an option on multiple PCs as it is not just one file type. It is ALL file types. No matter what one I
    try, it's always the same result.

Are there any suggestions? I know how to navigate computer, so please do not suggest that I need to go to Settings

> Apps > Default Apps. These options are far from optimized, and they don't have what I need. There isn't even an option to browse for an app to select defaults for when the app doesn't show up in the list.

A quick fix would be nice. Even a simple item in the registry? I could potentially have this problem on all 75 computers in this building as they all started at 8.1 before going to 10. I can't reinstall Windows on every machine. That's ridiculous.

Abraham Hadley, Jul 4, 2019
  4. Can't change default app for .dat file extesnsion.

Windows10 Keeps Changing my Default Apps

Hi Carol,

There is a certain option in Settings where you can change the default apps for a specific file type. For example, your .psd file can be opened by a certain app as a default while the other file types can be opened by a different app. You can manually change
    it by following these steps:

• Press Windows key + I.
    • Select Apps, and then Default apps.
    • Select Choose default apps by file type.
    • From there, scroll down to the file type that you want to change the default app.

Feel free to contact us if you need assistance with Windows.

Dennis Mop, Jul 4, 2019
Thema:

Can't change default app for .dat file extesnsion.

1. Can't change default app for .dat file extesnsion. - Similar Threads - Can't change default

2. DAT file concerns

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DAT file concerns: Just now, I deleted a lot of temp files. I was going really fast and I ended up deleting some DAT files. I read about these just now and I learnt that they contained critical about programs used to create specific files. I also read that DAT files can have Windows registry....
  3. Can't change default apps location

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't change default apps location: Trying to download games from xbox game pass, horrendously designed and it needs me to change my default apps saving point for some reason cause you're still living in 2003, won't let me do that just keep getting these errors [ATTACH] [ATTACH] [ATTACH]...
  4. Can't set/change default app on .txt files

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't set/change default app on .txt files: This started a few days ago and I reinstalled Windows earlier in the hopes that would fix it, but it didn't. I have no idea what caused this, either- Certain files, in particular any that can open in notepad (or sublime 3, as I prefer), just shows up as a blank icon and asks...
  5. Changing a DAT file back to jpeg.

in Windows 10 Support
    Changing a DAT file back to jpeg.: Hi, I hope I am in the forum for this question. Several yrs. ago I put some jpeg/jpg images on a CD-R disc., I wanted to view them and put them in my pictures folder. When I put the disc in to view the pictures they open in a Power Media Player program and it has all of the...
  6. Delete a DAT file

Delete a DAT file: Hello, My program SuperAntiSpyware detected a malware file named "UsrClass.dat", because this is a Data file when I try to delete it an error message appears "this action can't be taken because the file is open in the system". How can I delete this file? Thanks,...
  7. Change default app for file type

Change default app for file type: I want an .sb3 file to download to Google Chrome but it's downloading to Opera. When I try to change the default app for that file the only option is Opera. Any ideas what to do?...
  8. Can't Change Default App For PDF

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't Change Default App For PDF: I have tried everything I found online about this & Windows still will not let me change the default app for opening pdf files. I want to use Libre Office Draw but it is not on the list of options. They want me to choose an app from the Windows store. It does not give me an...
  9. Default App Can't Change

in Windows 10 Customization
    Default App Can't Change: Recently I have some .swf files in my computer, and currently it can be played with GOM Player. Now, I wanted to change the default app for opening the swf files, to Adobe Flash Player, that was part of Adobe Animate. But strangely, it won't allow me to change at all - it...
  10. Can't change "Default apps" anymore!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't change "Default apps" anymore!: Since a time ago I can't change the default apps from Start > Settings > System > Default apps [img] Is there a fix for this bug? 46507

Users found this page by searching for:

1. .dat default program

2. how to stop .dat default app