Windows 10: Can't Change Default App For PDF

Discus and support Can't Change Default App For PDF in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I have tried everything I found online about this & Windows still will not let me change the default app for opening pdf files. I want to use Libre... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by MamaWolf, Nov 24, 2018.

1. MamaWolf Win User

Can't Change Default App For PDF

I have tried everything I found online about this & Windows still will not let me change the default app for opening pdf files. I want to use Libre Office Draw but it is not on the list of options. They want me to choose an app from the Windows store. It does not give me an option to choose from my PC.

:)

MamaWolf, Nov 24, 2018
  2. w1ksz Win User

PDF Default App Keeps Getting Changed

I complained about this a while ago and followed the suggestion of another ListMember. Well, like the Borg, Windows
    has adapted.

I prefer Adobe for my pdf reader, but as many times as I change the default to Adobe, Windows keeps changing it
    back to Edge (lousy pdf reader).

How can I put a stake into this thing and keep the deafault app I want.

Thanks,

Richard S.

w1ksz, Nov 24, 2018
  3. Victek Win User
    Problem with Outlook 2016 not remembering default PDF app choice

Thanks for the suggestion. I wonder though if the issue actually has anything to do with the Adobe Reader? When I first observed the problem Edge was showing as the default PDF reader in Outlook's drop down list. It was possible to select Adobe Reader from the list, but even though we put a check in the box for Outlook to remember the choice it didn't. After setting the Adobe Reader as the default in Control Panel/Default Programs/ the icon on PDF files changed to the Adobe Reader icon and it replaced Edge as the first app in Outlook's drop down list, however Outlook continues to ask and doesn't save the choice.

One thing I wanted to try was repairing Microsoft Office, but strangely there is no entry in Programs and Features. I wonder if there's a way to run the repair from the command line?

Victek, Nov 24, 2018
  4. Can't Change Default App For PDF

Can't change default app for .pdf files

Hi there!

I'm assuming that you've already tried changing the default app for .pdf files through the option called 'Choose default apps by file type' under
    Settings > System > Default Apps.

After selecting Drawboard as your default app for .pdf files, does it show Drawboard right away or does it go back to Microsoft Edge after closing the Settings window and/or after opening a .pdf file, it opens up Microsoft Edge instead?

If changing it under the 'Choose default apps by file type' under Settings > System > Default Apps still doesn't work, I would recommend doing what we call the Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM) scan on your
    computer which would refresh any corrupted windows components (e.g. Settings App, File Explorer, etc.)

You can do it by doing the following:

• Press Win + X on your keyboard
    • Select Command Prompt (Admin)
    • Type dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

It can take some time before it finishes but after the scan, please do reboot your PC and try again.

Please let us know how it goes.

Michael Sarno, Nov 24, 2018
Thema:

Can't Change Default App For PDF

1. Can't Change Default App For PDF - Similar Threads - Can't Change Default

2. How to change the default app for .pdf files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to change the default app for .pdf files: I'll use F as shorthand for one of my .pdf apps. I'll use P as shorthand for the other .pdf app. I prefer not to use the names of apps that compete with one another. P is currently the default app for .pdf files. I want to change the default to F.Then I scroll down the list...
  3. How to change the default app for .pdf files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to change the default app for .pdf files: I'll use F as shorthand for one of my .pdf apps. I'll use P as shorthand for the other .pdf app. I prefer not to use the names of apps that compete with one another. P is currently the default app for .pdf files. I want to change the default to F.Then I scroll down the list...
  4. How to change the default app for .pdf files

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Windows 11, Can't change default app for .PDF's

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11, Can't change default app for .PDF's: Hi,Some advise please.I have Acrobat DC and Acrobat pro installed on my system and I want to change the default reader for .pdf's to Acrobat pro from Acrobat DC.I go to file associations, find the PDF association, then it asks which file to open PDF's. It does not show...
  6. Windows 11, Can't change default app for .PDF's

Windows 11, Can't change default app for .PDF's: Hi,Some advise please.I have Acrobat DC and Acrobat pro installed on my system and I want to change the default reader for .pdf's to Acrobat pro from Acrobat DC.I go to file associations, find the PDF association, then it asks which file to open PDF's. It does not show...
  7. Change default printer for PDF

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Change default printer for PDF: How do I change the default printer in Foxit Reader from Foxit printer to HP 1050 which is the default printer on my computer. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-default-printer-for-pdf/3db57bfd-644c-423d-87ff-41e318927a17
  8. Default App Can't Change

in Windows 10 Customization
    Default App Can't Change: Recently I have some .swf files in my computer, and currently it can be played with GOM Player. Now, I wanted to change the default app for opening the swf files, to Adobe Flash Player, that was part of Adobe Animate. But strangely, it won't allow me to change at all - it...
  9. PDF Default App Keeps Getting Changed

PDF Default App Keeps Getting Changed: I complained about this a while ago and followed the suggestion of another ListMember. Well, like the Borg, Windows has adapted. I prefer Adobe for my pdf reader, but as many times as I change the default to Adobe, Windows keeps changing it back to Edge (lousy pdf...
  10. PDF Default App Keeps Getting Changed

PDF Default App Keeps Getting Changed: I prefer Adobe Reader for pdf files, but no matter how many times I set the default app to Adobe, it keeps getting changed back to MS Edge. How do I put a stake in this vampire !! ?? Thanks, Richard S. 98032