Windows 10: Can't Change Default Apps On Windows 10

Discus and support Can't Change Default Apps On Windows 10 in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I've installed Media Player Classic on my computer and I can't set it as my default video player. I right clicked on a video file and clicked on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by ALostSkullKid, Oct 25, 2018.

1. Can't Change Default Apps On Windows 10

I've installed Media Player Classic on my computer and I can't set it as my default video player. I right clicked on a video file and clicked on properties and selected Media Player Classic as the program that file type should open with. But after selecting it, the default Movies and TV app is still listed under "Opens with" and when I try clicking the video, it still opens with that. So, I tried right clicking and selecting "open with" and selected Media Player Classic and checked the box that said "always use this app to open these files". The video opened in Media Player Classic but I closed it and tried opening it again without clicking "open with" and it again opened with the default Movies and TV app. I then went to the default app settings and clicked on "video player: and the only options I got were "Movies and TV", "Photos", "Windows Media Player", and "Look for an app in the app store". I don't want to look for an app in the app store. I want to use the program that I've already installed.

:)

ALostSkullKid, Oct 25, 2018
  2. puma99dk| Win User

Windows 10 forgets default apps

I have noticed like not 5mins ago that Winamp just got kicked out of my default apps list in Windows 10 Pro.
    I installed this installation not max 3 weeks ago with fresh downloaded Windows 10 Pro using Microsoft Media Creation Tool, is there a way to fix this bcs I using sfc /scannow don't do a lot for me and I have run it before on this installation.

Before u ask, I have fully updated my Windows 10 with all non-insider/beta updates.

The only thing I have disabled is the uac prompt that popup when u need admin for applications to run bcs it's simply annoying.

I don't remember having all these problems with Windows 8.1 Pro when i was using that and I am really thinking about going back so I can have "fully control" over Windows again with like disabling all the admin crap bcs I feel like it's messing more up and makes things less useful in Windows 10 with all these small problems I have and I read a lot of ppl having problems with various things time and time again where they needed to reinstall Win10 over and over to get it to work fully.

Any advice on how I can get Windows 10 to just work as a "daily driver" without all these small annoying things? *Frown Can't Change Default Apps On Windows 10 :(

puma99dk|, Oct 25, 2018
  3. Windows 10 1803 default app change bug

When right clicking a file and going to "Open With", no matter what file it is, I can't change its default. The box is checked, and the app doesn't change.

This is also true of right clicking and going to "Properties". When I click change, the default doesn't change.

This is happening to me on 3 computers now. Steps to reproduce? I could probably do it by:

Installing Windows 8.1, and upgrading to 10 with the media creation tool.

This does not happen with a fresh install from a USB with Windows 10.

Don't tell me to go to "Settings" and change the defaults. The file type list is horrible, and some of my file types are not listed. The registry is not an option on multiple PCs as it is not just one file type. It is ALL file types. No matter what one I
    try, it's always the same result.

Are there any suggestions? I know how to navigate computer, so please do not suggest that I need to go to Settings

> Apps > Default Apps. These options are far from optimized, and they don't have what I need. There isn't even an option to browse for an app to select defaults for when the app doesn't show up in the list.

A quick fix would be nice. Even a simple item in the registry? I could potentially have this problem on all 75 computers in this building as they all started at 8.1 before going to 10. I can't reinstall Windows on every machine. That's ridiculous.

Abraham Hadley, Oct 25, 2018
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Can't Change Default Apps On Windows 10

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Oct 25, 2018
Thema:

Can't Change Default Apps On Windows 10

1. Can't Change Default Apps On Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Can't Change Default

2. Windows 11, Can't change default app for .PDF's

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11, Can't change default app for .PDF's: Hi,Some advise please.I have Acrobat DC and Acrobat pro installed on my system and I want to change the default reader for .pdf's to Acrobat pro from Acrobat DC.I go to file associations, find the PDF association, then it asks which file to open PDF's. It does not show...
  3. Windows 11, Can't change default app for .PDF's

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11, Can't change default app for .PDF's: Hi,Some advise please.I have Acrobat DC and Acrobat pro installed on my system and I want to change the default reader for .pdf's to Acrobat pro from Acrobat DC.I go to file associations, find the PDF association, then it asks which file to open PDF's. It does not show...
  4. Can't change default apps location

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't change default apps location: Trying to download games from xbox game pass, horrendously designed and it needs me to change my default apps saving point for some reason cause you're still living in 2003, won't let me do that just keep getting these errors [ATTACH] [ATTACH] [ATTACH]...
  5. Can't change default app to Excel from Notepad in Windows 10

Can't change default app to Excel from Notepad in Windows 10: Can't change default app to Excel from Notepad in Windows 10. It wants me to go to the MS Store. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-change-default-app-to-excel-from-notepad-in/d1df39fe-366c-486c-93ee-883e6d492857
  6. Can't change default programs in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't change default programs in Windows 10: This is on new Dell Latitude 5501's fresh out of the box, only after running the Microsoft Office 365 Cleanup Tool because Dell dumps 5 whole language versions of Office onto the systems with a faulty installation path, which completely screws up my deployment workflow....
  7. Can't Change Default App For PDF

Can't Change Default App For PDF: I have tried everything I found online about this & Windows still will not let me change the default app for opening pdf files. I want to use Libre Office Draw but it is not on the list of options. They want me to choose an app from the Windows store. It does not give me an...
  8. Default App Can't Change

in Windows 10 Customization
    Default App Can't Change: Recently I have some .swf files in my computer, and currently it can be played with GOM Player. Now, I wanted to change the default app for opening the swf files, to Adobe Flash Player, that was part of Adobe Animate. But strangely, it won't allow me to change at all - it...
  9. I can't change the default app for a type

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    I can't change the default app for a type: I can't change the default app of type .hdl files from notepad++ to visual studio code (not the one from the store, and I have no intends of downloading that one) using settings. I have tried the DISM system repair and it didn't help. I cannot change the default apps from the...
  10. Can't change "Default apps" anymore!

Can't change "Default apps" anymore!: Since a time ago I can't change the default apps from Start > Settings > System > Default apps [img] Is there a fix for this bug? 46507

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 cant change default apps

2. windows 10 cnat change default apps

3. i cant change where apps install to windows 10

4. cant change default app in windows 10,
  5. cant change default app windows 10,
  6. cant change default apps in windows 10 closes window,
  7. 10 default apps gom player not changing