Windows 10: Cant change default controller device

Discus and support Cant change default controller device in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I am trying to play some retro games but in order for them to work I need to set the preferred device to my xbox controller. Unfortunately, no matter... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Ansgar Odinson, Dec 5, 2020.

1. Cant change default controller device

I am trying to play some retro games but in order for them to work I need to set the preferred device to my xbox controller.

Unfortunately, no matter how many times I set it to the xbox controller it wont actually change. To be precise, it just stays set to the Tartarus v2 and if I uninstall the Tartarus it defaults to none and once again, cant be changed.

This is particularly frustrating considering it was working before. For whatever reason its no longer able to be set.

Any help appreciated

Cant change default controller device 83f86de0-1364-45d5-bc17-1bd7632dd652?upload=true.png Cant change default controller device 3cbb8ded-017c-46e3-8875-fb26dae06ac3?upload=true.png

:)

Ansgar Odinson, Dec 5, 2020

2. Cannot change the default apps by using control panel

Original Title: Cannot change default apps.

As said, I cannot change the default apps by using control panel > ... > Default Apps tab.

I cannot change any of the default programs. I use paint.net to edit/view photos and I cannot set it to the default program even though it is on the list, it does not change and i'm stuck with the default photo viewer. This happens with any other app actually,
    I cannot change the default music player there, nor browser or anything.

I followed these steps as suggest by a microsoft engineer, post 2, and later on, no avail.

Can't change default apps in Windows 10

I refuse to use work arounds, I'd like a proper solution is possible, thank you.

RodrigoDrt, Dec 5, 2020
  3. Change How Folders Open By Default (My laptop keeps using CMD)

Hi,

Sorry for the delayed response. I suggest you to set File Explorer as the Default program and check if that helps. To do this, refer the steps given below.

• Open Control Panel.
    • Search for Default Programs.
    • Go to Default Programs.
    • Look for File Explorer towards the left pane and select it.
    • Set this as default program and apply changes.
    • Check if the issue persists.

Hope this helps.

Arvind Ram, Dec 5, 2020
  4. Arul_D Win User

Cant change default controller device

Computer Won't Auto Change the Playback Device When Headphones Plugged In/Out

Hi Michael,

I understand your concern and will be happy to assist you.

Is the issue specific to only Headphones/ Does External Speaker play when plugged in?

I suggest you to try resetting the default device as shown in the steps given below and check if the issue persists.

• Plug in the Headphones in the machine.

• Go to Start and Control Panel.

• Select 'Hardware and Sound'.

• Click 'Change system sounds'.

• Click 'Playback' tab. (It should then show you your headphones in the list).

• Select your proper Headphone device from the list, then Click 'Set Default'.

• Now unplug your Headphones and select speakers from the list, then Click 'Set Default'.
    Hope it helps. Please reply for further queries on this.

Arul_D, Dec 5, 2020
Thema:

Cant change default controller device

1. Cant change default controller device - Similar Threads - Cant change default

2. Cant change back to default theme

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cant change back to default theme: I am on a business computer and systems administrator has blocked changing themes. I picked a high contrast color and personalized it to make it better. After i realized the high contrast wouldnt be good for duties of the job, I wasn't able to change it back to the "none"...
  3. Cant change back to default theme

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cant change back to default theme: I am on a business computer and systems administrator has blocked changing themes. I picked a high contrast color and personalized it to make it better. After i realized the high contrast wouldnt be good for duties of the job, I wasn't able to change it back to the "none"...
  4. Cant change default app location

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cant change default app location: I Recently installed windows on my new SSD, and i am trying to change my default install location to my D drive, but it keeps giving me error code 0x80070005. I've followed a rabbit hole of fixes and tutorials on user permission changes, sharing setting and command prompt...
  5. i cant controle sound devices

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    i cant controle sound devices: so i end up with my headphone's jack stuck in my PC port, and i couldnt get it out : but the REAL PROBLEM is that i cant hear anything in the speakers because my pc detects the broken headphones . and i couldnt find a way to eject the headphones and enable the speaker so is...
  6. Change the default device and default communication device, changing it this way only...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Change the default device and default communication device, changing it this way only...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/the_frgtn_drgn [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/khugir/change_the_default_device_and_default/
  7. Cant change default file format

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cant change default file format: Hello! Once i stopped program called "File oppener" or something like that, thru task manager. Ever since i cant change default file applications. On this image i went on file, clicked properties, change file something, idk how is it in english, but you understand it, right?...
  8. Cant change Default app for .lua

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cant change Default app for .lua: I currently have .lua extention on Sublime text 2. and i would like to change it to another program and windows wont let me change it. ive tried changing from properties, and the windows settings. if you know how to fix this, i would like to hear your answer...
  9. Cant change the default video player

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cant change the default video player: Hey guys, can someone help me? I cant change the default video player to MPC-HC it automattically reverts to Windows media player. [ATTACH] [ATTACH] It wont change the default program and the videos still open with windows media player...
  10. Cant change default app settings

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cant change default app settings: Hi as stated I cant change any of the default app settings in windows 10. I tried to change my default browser to chrome,nothing happens after i click google chrome,its still edge. This also applies to other defaults like maps,music player,photo viewer etc. 59930

Users found this page by searching for:

1. switch to default controller from tartarus