Windows 10: Can't change default programs in Windows 10

Discus and support Can't change default programs in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; This is on new Dell Latitude 5501's fresh out of the box, only after running the Microsoft Office 365 Cleanup Tool because Dell dumps 5 whole language... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Roland de Ruijter, Aug 30, 2019.

1. Can't change default programs in Windows 10

This is on new Dell Latitude 5501's fresh out of the box, only after running the Microsoft Office 365 Cleanup Tool because Dell dumps 5 whole language versions of Office onto the systems with a faulty installation path, which completely screws up my deployment workflow.

Also after joining them to a Domain and after enjoying the initial Out-Of-Box Update Experience.

Using the Windows Control panel "Default Apps" the only setting I can successfully change is for web browser (to Chrome).

Attempting to set Outlook as default e-mail application and VLC as default video and audio player does not work. The icons of the applications appear in the list but clicking one causes the whole Control Panel window to suddenly and quietly close.

I found this thread from 2016 with a bunch of workarounds but no actual solution.

sfc does not help.

dism.exe does not help.

using the old interface is not possible in version 1903.

using the "open file" dialog is not a solution and won't allow changing of the default e-mail program.

The only actual solution I found was to invest lots of time and completely RESET WINDOWS (so that a "Windows.old" directory is created), but that's just a completely insane thing to have to do to computers which are literally brand new.

Is there any actual solution to this problem? Preferably one that avoids the huge waste of time of completely resetting windows?

:)

Roland de Ruijter, Aug 30, 2019

2. Changing Default program in Win 10 home

Hi Alan,

Thank you for posting your question in the Microsoft Community.

• As you sure that this program is successfully installed on the PC?

If the default protocol that you wish to change is not available in the Settings app, you can use Control Panel to change the default programs in Windows 10.

Follow these steps:

• Press the Windows key + X to get the menu.
    • Click the ‘Control Panel’ and then click on ‘Default Programs’.
    • Click on the option saying ‘Set Your Default Programs’.
    Control Panel will find the installed apps and programs and display the list. You will see the list of installed program in the left pane and the right pane will contain a description of program, along with options that let you set the program as default
    for files/protocols it can handle

Select the program that you wish to set as default, and then click on ‘Set this Program as Default’. This will set the program as default for files and protocols it can handle.

Hope this helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed by clicking ‘Yes’ or ‘No’.

Regards,

Srimadhwa B

Microsoft Community-Moderator

Srimadhwa_B, Aug 30, 2019
  3. puma99dk| Win User
    Windows 10 don't save change for default programs

Recently i been having alittle trouble getting my Windows 10 Pro to save how it opens my pictures on my computer, bcs i want to use Windows Photo Viewer instead of the new default photo application.

I notice that i got some "asian language" in the default for my picture files, anyone knows how i can get rid of that and when i select all and click save it doesn't really save this setting.

Can't change default programs in Windows 10 windows-10-set-program-associations-jpg.jpg

Scanned with KIS2016, Malwarebytes, Adwcleaner, HitmanPro, ESET Online Scanner

nuth major found other then some files i knew had some dirty in them.

puma99dk|, Aug 30, 2019
  4. Can't change default programs in Windows 10

Accidently changed default program for INDEX files Windows 10

Hello,

Microsoft has a reference where you may refer on regarding changing the default program in Window 10. We suggest that you check this

link
    out. This contains easy steps regarding your concern.

Feel free to post back if you need further assistance.

Lawrence Lib, Aug 30, 2019
Thema:

Can't change default programs in Windows 10

1. Can't change default programs in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Can't change default

2. Windows 10 keeps changing my default programs

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 keeps changing my default programs: Okay, this has been documented for over 5 years by hundreds of people. When is MS going to do something about this. I spend alot of money and time on my computer and I'm contantly forced to stop what I'm doing to change my default apps back to my preferance. MS do you not...
  3. Windows 10 Keeps Changing My Default Programs

Windows 10 Keeps Changing My Default Programs: I am pissed off about this problem and there is NO excuse for this!!! I see that this has been a big problem for some time now and Microsoft has done nothing to stop it because they have no intentions to do so! The problem I'm having is that after I have changed the default...
  4. Windows 10 Changes default programs on restart

Windows 10 Changes default programs on restart: I tried some of the suggested help but I am having same problem many time I have changed manually after reboot for required function. Again after the next reboot same problem persists. Kindly help to reset my default apps. for web browser, video player and image viewer...
  5. How to change default program in Windows 10 to a program on your PC?

How to change default program in Windows 10 to a program on your PC?: In Windows 10, since the new update in October, it does not give you the choice to browse your PC to make a program on your computer a default program. I want to pick a Text program on my PC for txt files and the only choices there is NotePad, WordPad or the App Store and the...
  6. Change default program

Change default program: I just got a new computer. I always use Paint Shop Pro for my pictures. But I can't get Windows to open all pictures in it. I always have to go more steps. And even if I say to use Paint Shop as program - for sure next time I open a picture I get Windows photo app. Any idea...
  7. Can't Change Default Programs

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't Change Default Programs: Hello anyone reading this I am having a problem with Windows 10 Here is a video about it: https://youtu.be/G_BIcAyhXCc And if you can't watch the video my problem is I can't go into file manager in the default programs selector, I also can change what a program opens...
  8. Windows 10 unable to change default program associations

Windows 10 unable to change default program associations: Running Version 1803 (17134.345) and I'm unable to change the default program associated with various file extensions. Basically I'd like to be able to use Notepad++ for a lot of text files, but no matter how many times I try to change it via Properties/Opens With or via...
  9. Can't change default program to open files.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't change default program to open files.: Hi, I'm trying to change the default program for .dwg files from Autocad to Draftsight. I already tried: right click > open with > choose another app > always use this app. The file opens in Draftsight without problems, but it still opens with Autocad the next time you...
  10. Change default program

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Change default program: Hi I have both OneNote2010 and OneNote2016 installed (because you must the whole 2016-office suite) but I just use the 2010 version After the last Windows update default program for (.one) has changed back to 2016 And I cant find the 2010 version to add How can you...