Windows 10: Can't change Display from number 2 to number 1 on Display Settings

Discus and support Can't change Display from number 2 to number 1 on Display Settings in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hi, Since I've started using a new secondary monitor, my apps will always open in the secondary one. This is because on the Display settings it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/markDNg, Oct 21, 2020.

1. Can't change Display from number 2 to number 1 on Display Settings

Hi,

Since I've started using a new secondary monitor, my apps will always open in the secondary one. This is because on the Display settings it appears as the primary, even if I force my actual primary to be the primary, the secondary keeps having the role. I've tried to do the same thing from the NVIDIA Control Panel with the same results.

I'm attaching some images:

Display order (my goal is to make 2 become 1): https://i.imgur.com/MBG4Tfm.jpg

Windows Display Settings where as you can see, the "make this my main display" box is unchecked but the screen still is primary (please ignore the vertical thing I only did it to take the screenshot): https://i.imgur.com/vPiyrQ4.png

NVIDIA Control Panel (the secondary is shown as the primary but it's still number 2): https://i.imgur.com/933aKyC.png

I would appreciate some help! Thank you!

submitted by /u/markDNg
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/markDNg, Oct 21, 2020
  2. bl44 Win User

No display number

Hi. I have an HP notebook and wish to display screen on tv. When I plug in HDMI cable, the display appears on tv, but notebook display goes black. When I go into display settings there is no display number showing so I cannot select 1/2. It did display originally but some setting I altered made it disappear and now I don't know how to get it back. Any help please?

3. f14tomcat Win User
    No display number

@bl44

Take a look here. Looks almost identical to your issue.

*Arrow Laptop screen goes blank when connecting HDMI cable ? ? ? [Solved] - TV - Laptop Tech Support

I had the same problem not an IT tech but was able to do it. I right clicked on the desktop 2. go to graphic properties 3. Click advanced mode 4. Click on multiple display then select clone. After doing this both my laptop and tv were showing the same info. Previously once my HDMI cord was plugged in my laptop would turn black and he TV only was displayed. Now after taking these steps I can now see both screens.

f14tomcat, Oct 21, 2020
  4. Edwin Win User

Can't change Display from number 2 to number 1 on Display Settings

How do I change primary display number and functionality

In Settings/System/Display, drag the one 'monitor' over and plop it on the other side.
    You can't do anything about the identity numbers unless you switch the cards.

Can't change Display from number 2 to number 1 on Display Settings [​IMG]

Edwin, Oct 21, 2020
Thema:

Can't change Display from number 2 to number 1 on Display Settings

1. Can't change Display from number 2 to number 1 on Display Settings - Similar Threads - Can't change Display

2. Excel: Display numbers as credit card numbers

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Excel: Display numbers as credit card numbers: I followed instructions in Display numbers as credit card numbers - Microsoft Support and entered as text, but it does not show as numbers. It's a combination of numbers, letters, punctuation and symbols. Please advise. Thank you....
  3. Excel: Display numbers as credit card numbers

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Excel: Display numbers as credit card numbers: I followed instructions in Display numbers as credit card numbers - Microsoft Support and entered as text, but it does not show as numbers. It's a combination of numbers, letters, punctuation and symbols. Please advise. Thank you....
  4. How to change display numbers.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to change display numbers.: Got a dual monitor setup, however my main display, already set to main display, is identifying as monitor 2, causing most apps to startup on my secondary monitor. Furthermore even when turned off, my secondary monitor still identifies, meaning I can't open and use a variety...
  5. How to change display numbers.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to change display numbers.: Got a dual monitor setup, however my main display, already set to main display, is identifying as monitor 2, causing most apps to startup on my secondary monitor. Furthermore even when turned off, my secondary monitor still identifies, meaning I can't open and use a variety...
  6. How to change the monitor identity numbers from 1 to 2

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to change the monitor identity numbers from 1 to 2: I looked at a few posts. I tried the reg edit thing but it just made it back to the wrong order. I want to fix this because I want my main monitor in the middle to be 1 and the other 2. Help would be appreciated!...
  7. Changing display numbers

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Changing display numbers: I am not sure where to ask about this, but........... I have an Asus dual GTX 1060 and 2 monitors. #2 is connected to the DVI port and #1 is on the HDMI port. #2 is my default monitor. With Windows set to extend the monitors, when the system boots, the boot screen appears on...
  8. Main display is shown as number 2?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Main display is shown as number 2?: My primary monitor is shown as number 2 and when I change to "PC screen only", when I only need one screen, it only displays on my second screen to the side. I've tried changing things in the nvidia control panel also but no luck Any ideas? submitted by...
  9. Changing display numbers and projection settings

in Windows 10 Customization
    Changing display numbers and projection settings: Hi, I'm familiar with how to change basic display settings drag and drop, make 1 primary and 2nd one secondary. But I have a problem. On my last windows today when I'd choose a projection option "Show only on PC screen" might be called different, I'm using Croatian then the...
  10. No display number

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    No display number: Hi. I have an HP notebook and wish to display screen on tv. When I plug in HDMI cable, the display appears on tv, but notebook display goes black. When I go into display settings there is no display number showing so I cannot select 1/2. It did display originally but some...