Windows 10: Can't change documents folder location because "there is a folder in same location that...

Discus and support Can't change documents folder location because "there is a folder in same location that... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello. I reinstalled Windows and want to redirect my Documents and Pictures folder to be in their own folder on my HDD instead of on my C drive in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by SirMonkeyV, May 6, 2020.

1. Can't change documents folder location because "there is a folder in same location that...

Hello. I reinstalled Windows and want to redirect my Documents and Pictures folder to be in their own folder on my HDD instead of on my C drive in Properties >Location since my C drive is a smaller SSD. It worked fine for my music, videos, and downloads. However, documents and pictures will not redirect to them. I get an error stating "Can't move the folder because there is a folder in the same location that can't be redirected. Access is denied. They are currently directed to my OneDrive folder in C drive. I do not want them to be in my OneDrive. I want them on my HDD.

I followed the directions on this website and changed registry settings. I did it for both documents and pictures, but it does not work. How can I redirect them to go to the folder on my HDD?

:)

SirMonkeyV, May 6, 2020
  2. Nicrite Win User

Vista Ultimate - 'User' Folder Location

No tried that.

Can copy the entire folder to D; but Windows still points to C as the location. Can change personal folders location to a folder on D;, but this still leaves hidden files etc on C;. Thus meaning there are 2 Users folders. Have managed to change the Public folder location to D;, with some registry tweaks, but this doesnt seem to work for the entire folder.

any more suggestions

Nicrite, May 6, 2020
  3. Downloads folder is the Documents folder

Hi Chris,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to Restore to Default the folders and document settings and see if it helps.

Step 1:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Download folder.
    • Right click on the Download Folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.

Step 2:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Documents folder.
    • Right click on the Document folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.
    After performing above steps change the settings as you required and check if it helps.

Hope these information helps, please get back to us for future support, we’ll be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Prabhavathi Patil, May 6, 2020
  4. Can't change documents folder location because "there is a folder in same location that...

Getting folder names and not location in VB .Net

Hey guys,
    I'm getting a problem with my line of code and can't seem to find a workaround that works (all I can find is VB 6)

Code: CheckedListBox1.Items.AddRange(IO.Directory.GetDirectories("my directory here"))[/quote] This deposits all folders locations into a list box but I only need the actual folder name
    e.g:

Deposits: C:\Users\Onafets
    But all I want is "Onafets"

Is there any way to do this?

cheers

<<Onafets>>, May 6, 2020
Thema:

Can't change documents folder location because "there is a folder in same location that...

1. Can't change documents folder location because "there is a folder in same location that... - Similar Threads - Can't change documents

2. Can't move the documents folder using Location because the folder in the same folder can'...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't move the documents folder using Location because the folder in the same folder can'...: I have tried about everything to move the Documents folder from onedrive Including uninstalling onedrive. I keep getting the message Can't move the folder beause there is a folder in the same location that can't be redirected. The target drive is the D:\Documents. I have...
  3. Can't move the documents folder using Location because the folder in the same folder can'...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't move the documents folder using Location because the folder in the same folder can'...: I have tried about everything to move the Documents folder from onedrive Including uninstalling onedrive. I keep getting the message Can't move the folder beause there is a folder in the same location that can't be redirected. The target drive is the D:\Documents. I have...
  4. Can't move the documents folder using Location because the folder in the same folder can'...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Cant move a folder because there is a folder in the same location that can't be redirected.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cant move a folder because there is a folder in the same location that can't be redirected.: .I cannot move a folder to another partition and the message is shown in the picture. How to solve it!!!!!!!Initially the folder 'Pictures' was in C drive, after i change the location to drive D it shows this Access denies message....
  6. Cant move a folder because there is a folder in the same location that can't be redirected.

Cant move a folder because there is a folder in the same location that can't be redirected.: .I cannot move a folder to another partition and the message is shown in the picture. How to solve it!!!!!!!Initially the folder 'Pictures' was in C drive, after i change the location to drive D it shows this Access denies message....
  7. Can't change documents folder location

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't change documents folder location: So I have an issue very similar to this one, but felt it was too old to bump. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-change-documents-folder-location-because/01f84977-0271-49cf-9fc1-0e68b5aeb6d5I uninstalled OneDrive, so I don't think that can be the cause...
  8. Can't change documents folder location

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't change documents folder location: So I have an issue very similar to this one, but felt it was too old to bump. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-change-documents-folder-location-because/01f84977-0271-49cf-9fc1-0e68b5aeb6d5I uninstalled OneDrive, so I don't think that can be the cause...
  9. Can't change documents folder location

10. can't change location of Documents folder

in Windows 10 Support
    can't change location of Documents folder: chased down a bunch of posts for the error message but not found an answer yet I added a new registry entry that was a post suggestion to fix [img] I'm suspicious it has some thing to do with Documents being in OneDrive? The folder, mydocs, on my G drive is a copy of the...