Windows 10: Can't "change" drive that Microsoft Store downloads to

Discus and support Can't "change" drive that Microsoft Store downloads to in Microsoft Windows 10 Store to solve the problem; Hi there,I've been trying to download Doom Eternal for the past couple of days to no avail. I checked the drive that it should download to according to... Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 10 Store' started by shmee_, Aug 21, 2021.

1. shmee_ Win User

Can't "change" drive that Microsoft Store downloads to

Hi there,I've been trying to download Doom Eternal for the past couple of days to no avail. I checked the drive that it should download to according to Settings, Storage, and Where New Apps Will Install To, and there's 69.9 gb on that drive. I thought it just didn't have enough storage for a big game, so I switched where it will install it to for a new drive with 203 GB on it, and it still gives me an error saying that I don't have enough storage for it.Please help, and thank you for reading this,shmee

:)

shmee_, Aug 21, 2021
  2. mb300e Win User

Cannot Download Anything From Microsoft Store

I changed the DNS Servers to 8 8 8 8 and 8 8 4 4, but still no downloads. I finished my drive partition backups so the next step is the Microsoft Store on Tuesday. Wish me luck.

mb300e, Aug 21, 2021
  3. Brink Win User
    Download notification changed in Microsoft Edge

Hello,

I'm afraid this is the new Downloads menu in Microsoft Edge.

If it may help, here are some settings you can change for it, but it will now always be on top.

Brink, Aug 21, 2021
  4. A_S00 Win User

How can I free up space taken up by an incomplete Microsoft Store download?

Found the solution. Steps I used to fix this:

1. Open the C:\Program Files\WindowsApps folder, which is where the Windows Store puts its downloads. The WindowsApps folder isn't permissioned to normal users, so this has to be done using some utility that's being run as administrator (either a command prompt window, or some other file manager like 7zip; h/t ManSamVampire for the 7zip suggestion). DO NOT assign ownership of the WindowsApps folder to your own user account to gain access to it, as doing so will cause major problems and can't be easily undone (h/t Ramhound's answer for this warning).
    2. Sort the subfolders inside WindowsApps by the date they were last modified; this will let you easily find the folders that have recently had new stuff put into them.
    3. In my case, the offending subfolder was called MSIXVC, which is apparently a type of installer used by the Windows Store. Inside, I had an anomalous 37GB file created last night with no file extension, called "8BBF2763-A1C6-4F1B-96CA-B79DD5FDA4EE". Given that this file was enormous, created at the right time, and in a subfolder suggesting it was an installer, I concluded that this was the droid I was looking for.
    4. From within your run-as-administrator utility, delete the offending file. I deleted the ginormous, bafflingly-named file from the MSIXVC folder, and lo and behold I had all my disk space back!

Now redownloading and installing Outer Worlds. This time I'll know better than to turn off my computer partway through.

A_S00, Aug 21, 2021
Thema:

1. Can't "change" drive that Microsoft Store downloads to - Similar Threads - Can't change drive

2. Can't change game installation drive in Microsoft store

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't change game installation drive in Microsoft store: I want to download games in Microsoft store on a different drive but it doesn't let me do it.I'm well aware I could change where new content is saved but I don't want to save all my other stuff on a different drive, just specific apps and games....
  3. Can't change game installation drive in Microsoft store

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't change game installation drive in Microsoft store: I want to download games in Microsoft store on a different drive but it doesn't let me do it.I'm well aware I could change where new content is saved but I don't want to save all my other stuff on a different drive, just specific apps and games....
  4. I can't change where Microsoft Store downloads apps

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    I can't change where Microsoft Store downloads apps: I have been trying to download Forza Horizon 5 on my S: drive. I have gone to "Change where new content is saved" and changed where apps should go to. This didn't help, it still tried to download on the C: drive which I don't have enough space on. I don't know what the issue...
  5. I can't change where Microsoft Store downloads apps

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't change where Microsoft Store downloads apps: I have been trying to download Forza Horizon 5 on my S: drive. I have gone to "Change where new content is saved" and changed where apps should go to. This didn't help, it still tried to download on the C: drive which I don't have enough space on. I don't know what the issue...
  6. I can't change where Microsoft Store downloads apps

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Microsoft store downloading everything to C drive - How to change it?

Microsoft store downloading everything to C drive - How to change it?: Hi there,So, I know this question has been asked before, but how on earth can I stop the Microsoft store from downloading every game to my C drive first BEFORE it actually moves it to my drive which I selected as the location for the game to be installed?I know there's a...
  8. Cannot change drive that Microsoft Store is using to download a game to

Cannot change drive that Microsoft Store is using to download a game to: Hello, I am having the darndest time trying to download a game from the Microsoft Store. The app tells me there's not enough available space on my C drive. Which is fine, I want it to download to my data/storage drive on D, except I can't seem to get it to work. I have...
  9. Can't select proper drive for Game download on Microsoft store.

Can't select proper drive for Game download on Microsoft store.: I am currently trying to install Forza Horizon 4 on my PC. I own the game, and when I click the install button it prompts me to choose which drive I would like to install the game on. Every time I try and choose the drive I want and hit install, the button goes grey for a...
  10. Can't download on Microsoft Store

Can't download on Microsoft Store: Hi, I bought the Xbox Game Pass for PC and whenever i try to install a game it gives me an error sign if i hover over it (Like This) i asked it multiple times to support and they didn't even know what to do ive tried everything on the internet i really don't know what to...