Windows 10: Can't change file Attributes as Administrator, Windows 10

Discus and support Can't change file Attributes as Administrator, Windows 10 in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a brand new DELL Win10 laptop. I have the only user account and I am administrator. I am trying to change the file properties on a folder... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by #ScottS, Oct 15, 2019.

1. #ScottS Win User

Can't change file Attributes as Administrator, Windows 10

I have a brand new DELL Win10 laptop. I have the only user account and I am administrator.

I am trying to change the file properties on a folder under C:\Program Files (x86), specifically, removing the Read-only Attribute. I un-click the Read-only box and hit 'Apply'. A dialog box opens: "Apply to folder, subfolder and files" is selected, and I hit 'OK'. Another dialog box opens: "Access Denied. You need to provide administrator permission to change these attributes. Click Continue to complete this operation." I click Continue (it has a little shield next to it) and the dialog box disappears. I 'OK' the Properties dialog box, but checking file properties again, the Read-only Attribute remains.

Under Properties/Security, 'Administrators' have Full control on this file, but 'Users' do not have Modify or Write permission.

I realize that numerous persons have presented this same issue, but I haven't found a solution that works for me. I've also tried using the command prompt:

> attrib -r +s <file path>

but I get "Access denied". It seems that I'm not being recognized as administrator. I have no problems modifying file properties of files that I've created or downloaded myself (.doc, .xls, .jpg, etc). I am at a loss because the app I'm running which created these files/folders needs to modify them.

ScottS

:)

#ScottS, Oct 15, 2019

2. Change file attribute to 'unhide'

Hello Walt,

Thank you for posting your concern in Microsoft Community and welcome to the Windows 10 Family.

I suggest you to follow the below steps to change the attribute of any file/folder to unhide.

Step A: Show Hidden files

1. Open Windows Explorer(win logo key+E) or My computer.

2. Now click on View on top of the window.
    3. Untick ‘Hidden items’ in the options.

Step B: Change file attribute

1. Once the hidden file is located, right click on the file/folder you want to change the attribute for.

2. Go to ‘properties’, untick the box facing hidden.

3. Now, Click on ‘apply’ and then ‘ok’.

Hope it helps.

Thank You.

Sayan_Ghosh, Oct 15, 2019
  3. changing file and folder attributes

Continuing the theme of changing attributes....
    i now realise that certain file attributes can’t be user defund, as they are read only....
    But it seems gilders are even worse.....I have 12 folders January to December.......but windows list these alphabetically......such that April is first followed by August.

cant see any way of changing the sort order, although there may be a way to sort by an attribute, but it seems that It is NOT possible to assign ANY folder attributes......nothing much has changed in this matter since XP....

unless anyone one knows differently

reddwarf4ever, Oct 15, 2019
  4. Can't change file Attributes as Administrator, Windows 10

File Attributes automaticly change in Windows 10

I have a .EXE file that is being downloaded from a software vendor as part of an update to their client application. When the file is copied to a Windows 10 OS (Tested on 1709 and 1607) the file is received with an Archive attribute. within 30 seconds
    the attributes change to add System and Hidden attributes. I have tested copying this same file to a Windows 2012 server OS and this attribute change does not happen. I can open a command Prompt as administrator and remove the SH attributes on the file. But
    when the application accesses this .EXE the attributes change back to SH. In addition, after removing the attributes SH on a Win 10 OS, and subsequently copying the file to another folder on that machine, the attributes of the file again automatically change.
    When repeating this test with other .EXE files the attributes do not change. I renamed the EXE to file to test.exe then copied it and the Attrib change still took place. I then renamed the file to test.TXT and then copied it to a win 10 PC, and the ATTRIB
    still automatically changed. Are there any thoughts on what could be causing this automatic change and how I can correct the issue?

Robyn Burton, Oct 15, 2019
Thema:

Can't change file Attributes as Administrator, Windows 10

1. Can't change file Attributes as Administrator, Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Can't change file

2. File Attributes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Attributes: Hello. I was wondering if I reset my laptop to its factory settings, will all my files revert back to their original attributes hidden, read only, etc. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-attributes/eb32f7ce-d925-452f-a4a9-7cd8d2d7de28
  3. File Attributes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Attributes: Hello. I was wondering if I reset my laptop to its factory settings, will all my files revert back to their original attributes hidden, read only, etc. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-attributes/eb32f7ce-d925-452f-a4a9-7cd8d2d7de28
  4. File Attributes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Attributes: Even when I change the file attributes so they are not "read only", every time I shut off the computer and turn it back on, they revert to "read only". What can I do to stop this? It's so annoying....
  5. Cannot change READ ONLY file attributes using Administrator Account

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot change READ ONLY file attributes using Administrator Account: Why is it not possible to remove read only from folder from an Administrator account? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-change-read-only-file-attributes-using/a6ca87cb-c994-48a4-bace-211832be8d09
  6. windows 10 can't change read only attribute

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    windows 10 can't change read only attribute: I'm trying to turn off the read only attribute for a set of folders, except it wont change. According to the research i've done online the option that would give me the ability to turn that setting off is under virus & threat protection -> manage settings. The problem is...
  7. Windows 10 Changes My Audio File Attribute Settings

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 Changes My Audio File Attribute Settings: Window 10 Audacity is my sound file app.. Last night I winnowed down audio file lists to just Name and Date Created and Size. Today Windows has tossed out my work and replaced my Column Heading layout with #, Title, Contributing Artist, and Album. What is going on?...
  8. You will need to provide administrator permission to change these attributes"

in Windows 10 Customization
    You will need to provide administrator permission to change these attributes": Why did this happen again? I can't access the files on my external drive. Windows 10 hid them AGAIN! I cannot unhide them. PLEASE help me! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/you-will-need-to-provide-administrator-permission/1269164d-af9f-4974-9b57-09c68943eba4
  9. changing file and folder attributes

in Windows 10 Support
    changing file and folder attributes: Hi I have a large number of photos i need to tag, want to use the properties attributes, is there any way of changing the Location attribute, maybe an application ? Title & Subjest were easy....... Thanks 132033
  10. Windows 10 changing attributes of office Document and Word files.

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Windows 10 changing attributes of office Document and Word files.: Since I upgraded to Windows 10; I have noticed that all my older Word documents have been made "Read Only". Despite changing the properties to correct this. Word still loads them as Read Only documents and will not let me make changes. I also noticed; that since the upgrade,...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. YOU WILL NEED TO provide administrator attributes to perform this