Windows 10: Can't change file permissions file set to read only cant't change this.

Discus and support Can't change file permissions file set to read only cant't change this. in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I can't change the file that the game Terraria uses for saving data. by that I mean something is blocking the write property of the files that store... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by lukeee550, May 7, 2022.

1. lukeee550 Win User

Can't change file permissions file set to read only cant't change this.

I can't change the file that the game Terraria uses for saving data. by that I mean something is blocking the write property of the files that store the world and player save data. I've tried all the suggestions mentioned by the error message that comes up whenever I try to save the game. Something is blocking the write permission of the file and I can't change it even with admin or the command terminal. I've ensured that my antivirus is allowing the application and myself to make and write files.Any help is appreciated.

:)

lukeee550, May 7, 2022
  2. tom acito Win User

how to change folder and file permissions in windows 10

this is for a file... how for a folder and ALL subfolders and files

thanks.

tom acito, May 7, 2022
  3. how to change folder and file permissions in windows 10

Hi David,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

• Are you trying to give permission to particular files and folders?
    I suggest you to follow the below step and check if it helps.

• Once you choose the file that you want to give permission, right click on it.
    • Click on properties and go to security tab, check whether any permission have been set.
    • After you have viewed the permissions that are already set, you can now click on the Advanced Button that is right below the "Permissions for Authenticated Users"
    • Once you have clicked Advanced, a box like this should appear, the "Permission Entries" box, which shows all the permissions that are set for the users. Now, after you have spotted the user whose permissions you wish to change, click "Change Permissions.
    • Click on the user you would like to edit, and then click the option that says "Change Permissions" which is right below the box.
    • Once that is clicked, you are going to get the same box pop up, but this time, you can actually edit the options. You do that by clicking the "Administrators" user again, and this time, you are going to click the "Edit" option.
    Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, May 7, 2022
  4. lx07 Win User

File permissions to delete file

@Hydrate, you must be careful with your suggestions.

No it doesn't. It replaces ACLs with inherited ACLs. A default Windows install does not take inherited permissions from root.

Again, no it doesn't. It grants full access to administrators group which Windows does not do and would be unwise to do.

There is no way (apart from a clean install) to reset default permissions any more.

If OP wants to delete a specific file a safer way would be to change the permissions on that specific file (by taking ownerhip and granting permissions) or use unlocker which will do it at boot.

Changing permissions on the whole C drive is a bad idea.

lx07, May 7, 2022
Thema:

1. Can't change file permissions file set to read only cant't change this. - Similar Threads - Can't change file

2. Can't change file permissions file set to read only cant't change this.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't change file permissions file set to read only cant't change this.: I can't change the file that the game Terraria uses for saving data. by that I mean something is blocking the write property of the files that store the world and player save data. I've tried all the suggestions mentioned by the error message that comes up whenever I try to...
  3. read-only files and how to change them

in Windows 10 Gaming
    read-only files and how to change them: Hi,When I Insert my Sd card it is saying to format it. Why?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/read-only-files-and-how-to-change-them/d67c8904-3ed9-47a8-85ba-37776e9afedd
  4. read-only files and how to change them

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    read-only files and how to change them: Hi,When I Insert my Sd card it is saying to format it. Why?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/read-only-files-and-how-to-change-them/d67c8904-3ed9-47a8-85ba-37776e9afedd
  5. Permission in changing read only

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Permission in changing read only: So, I just got xbox game pass and I want to install a mod in one of the games, but the directory of the game is in WindowsApps. Because of this, I have gone through and changed ownership permission so my user account has full control over all files and folders in WindowsApps....
  6. Can't change some file permissions on Forza Horizon 4. It's only letting me read the file...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't change some file permissions on Forza Horizon 4. It's only letting me read the file...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/PullAHeckingBamBoozl [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ftruqn/cant_change_some_file_permissions_on_forza/
  7. Can't change a file to read only

Can't change a file to read only: Hi, I was trying to set a file to read only but I keep getting an access is denied message, I've looked online for solutions but can't seem to find one that works. [ATTACH] This is the message I keep receiving, my account is set to administrator so not really sure what to...
  8. Cant change permissions of file because I'm read only

Cant change permissions of file because I'm read only: I want to delete a file in windowsapps but I cant change the permissions due the owner(me) having only read only permissions. I'm basically stuck with this file. For some reason this is the only file in windowsapps I have had do this....
  9. Can't change Read Only Setting for files on External Hard Drive

Can't change Read Only Setting for files on External Hard Drive: Hello folks. I have Windows 10 and cannot change the "Read-only" setting for my files on my external hard drive. I've come across the issue because I'm trying to edit music in iTunes. Every time I unclick the Read-Only attributes in General Settings, it runs through all...
  10. all my files are read only and can't be changed

all my files are read only and can't be changed: All of my files have become read only files and I can no longer right to them regardless of what I do to change them. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/all-my-files-are-read-only-and-cant-be-changed/00b2e9c1-b282-4ac5-a4b2-11d560d2243d"