Windows 10: Can't change lock screen image upon startup

Discus and support Can't change lock screen image upon startup in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I can change the lock screen image from Settings > Lock Screen without any problems and when I lock the computer my intended lock screen image is the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by trashbag, Nov 18, 2016.

1. trashbag Win User

Can't change lock screen image upon startup

I can change the lock screen image from Settings > Lock Screen without any problems and when I lock the computer my intended lock screen image is the one I chose, but when I boot the computer up or sign out the lock screen image is always some default W10 image.

I'm using W10 Home with the latest updates. I have the background on the lock screen settings page as "picture".

I've read that there's actually two separate lock screens: a default/welcome lock screen and a user lock screen. I'm guessing the one on startup and after a sign out is the default/welcome lock screen, but I can't find how to change it.

:)

trashbag, Nov 18, 2016

2. Windows Spotlight on boot -- not working on all PC's

Hi RickW,

Yes, I am sure I read one or more of your posts since I've been Googling and searching MS extensively. You are one of the people online to whom the rest of us are most grateful since you offer endless help and support.

While the image on my startup screen is hardly of huge importance, when computer/software functions don't work as expected, it drives me crazy. <g> I can't seem to stop until I solve these things.... which doesn't always happen.

First of all, so that we're "on the same page here," I do understand that we're talking about three different screens/images--startup screen, lock screen, and desktop background.

You asked: "on the three computers where you are seeing a spotlight image - is it the same image as the one on locking with Winkey+L" YES. And the same image also appears on the Settings....
    Lock Screen page in the Preview window. When the image changes in one place, it changes in the other two places as well--that is, it's in the Preview, on the startup screen, and it's on the lock screen. I can't quite figure out when MS changes the image,
    but that's other question--at least it changes from time to time.

This must be a bug because the behavior is inconsistent from one machine to another even though all are running the same version of Windows 10 and all have identical settings on the Lock Screen setup page.

John

John Blaustein, Nov 18, 2016
  3. Shinkyuu Win User
    Windows 10 preparing automatic repair loop

Upon further investigation I found d that I had to launch the USB from the bios screen. Within my advanced options there is only system restore, command prompt, system image recovery, go back to previous build and startup repair. I've tried startup
    repair same issue persists, can't do system restore as it says my drive is locked so I will need guidance if that is the way to proceed that k you

Shinkyuu, Nov 18, 2016
  4. flhthemi Win User

I think it's a bug in the Anniversary update that hasn't been fixed yet.

flhthemi, Nov 19, 2016
  5. trashbag Win User
    I realize that I posted this thread ages ago but I managed to fix this myself at some point, go to C:\Users\(User)\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.Windows.ContentDeliveryManager\LocalState\Assets and delete everything in that folder.

trashbag, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Can't change lock screen image upon startup - Similar Threads - Can't change lock

2. Can't change lock screen background image

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't change lock screen background image: it doesn't work https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-change-lock-screen-background-image/36ae0fd3-7441-4621-b82d-351bfd133204
  3. Can't change lock screen background image

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't change lock screen background image: it doesn't work https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-change-lock-screen-background-image/36ae0fd3-7441-4621-b82d-351bfd133204
  4. Can't change lock screen background image.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't change lock screen background image.: I am currently unable to change my lock screen wallpaper. This issue has persisted for over a year now, and windows updates have not been able to fix it. I have been trying to fix this for quite a while now and I can't seem to get it fixed. As of now, I have already...
  5. Can't change lock screen background image.

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Can't change lock screen background image.: I am currently unable to change my lock screen wallpaper. This issue has persisted for over a year now, and windows updates have not been able to fix it. I have been trying to fix this for quite a while now and I can't seem to get it fixed. As of now, I have already...
  6. Can't change lock screen background image.

7. Can't change the screen lock image

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't change the screen lock image: Hi. I wanted to change the lock screen images from the windows spotlight into a personalized images presentation.I tried to set the presentation settings and a folder that has in it various images but, when I lock the screen or after I start up the pc after I suspend it, it...
  8. Can't change the screen lock image

Can't change the screen lock image: Hi. I wanted to change the lock screen images from the windows spotlight into a personalized images presentation.I tried to set the presentation settings and a folder that has in it various images but, when I lock the screen or after I start up the pc after I suspend it, it...
  9. Lock screen is not changing spotlight image on startup

in Windows 10 Customization
    Lock screen is not changing spotlight image on startup: The lock screen background image is not working properly on startup. I have the lock screen set to show the spotlight image. When it starts it uses the same image. If I click the Windows button and "L" to lock it it will show a spotlight image. my computer at work when I...
  10. Can't Change Lock Screen Image

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't Change Lock Screen Image: I am trying to change the image on my Lock Screen but when I click on a replacement image the spinner just keeps going round and nothing happens. All was working well the last time I changed the image but that was weeks ago. Any thoughts please? I have also discovered that I...