Windows 10: Can't change monitor refresh rate

Discus and support Can't change monitor refresh rate in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I have just bought a new 240hz monitor and whenever I try to change its refresh rate to anything higher or lower it goes black screen and reverts back... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Blackpillar, Jul 13, 2020.

1. Can't change monitor refresh rate

I have just bought a new 240hz monitor and whenever I try to change its refresh rate to anything higher or lower it goes black screen and reverts back to 60hz.

:)

Blackpillar, Jul 13, 2020

2. Refresh rate Problem

Hi Robert,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

Screen refresh rate is the rate at which the data displayed on screen is refreshed; it may be an image or some text document. Most of the users would like to set it to a higher rate but this also depends on the capacity of graphic
    card and monitors. If the refresh rate is slow, the images on the display looks as flickering to the user eye and makes it uncomfortable to work.

Nowadays the latest monitors available in market will have minimum 60 Hz of refresh rate and it is very good option to set it to 70 Hz if you your monitor is compatible. Normally a high performance or quality monitors can reach
    120 Hz of refresh rate. So I would suggest you to set your monitor refresh rate as higher as possible, below given steps describes how to access this feature on your Windows 8.1/10 PC.

• The default refresh rate setting is 60 Hertz (HZ); however, your monitor may support a higher setting. Check your manufacturer's documentation for information about the settings that your monitor supports.
    • If you use a higher refresh rate, you can reduce the rate that your screen flickers; however, if you specify a refresh rate that is too high for your monitor, your screen may become unusable and your hardware may be damaged.
    • Changes to the refresh rate affect all users that log on to the computer.
    I would, as of now, suggest you to visit the computer manufacturer's support website and install the latest display and chipset drivers available for the latest operating system (currently it would be 8.1 in the list).

Hope this information is helpful. Please feel free to reply in case you face any other issues with Windows in future.

Niranjan Manjhi, Jul 13, 2020
  3. GregH Win User
    Changing (reducing) a monitor's refresh rate?

Is it safe to change a monitor's default refresh rate - in other words force it to run at a slower refresh rate. Mine has a default of 59Hz and I want to run it at 30Hz. It appears that I can do this in the nVidia driver software but I do not want to risk damage to the monitor. I would want to run at this slower refresh rate for several hours at a time.

GregH, Jul 13, 2020
  4. Can't change monitor refresh rate

Monitor refresh rate

Hi Maypher

My name is Dayarys I am an independent advisor I will try to help you. Please follow the steps below :

Click on the Windows logo corner and Open Settings (gear icon).

Click on System.

Click on Display.

Click the Advanced display settings link.

Click the Display adapter properties for Display 1

Click the Monitor tab.

Under "Monitor Settings," use the drop-down menu to select the refresh rate you wish.

If you already did that like you showing, keep in mind that the refresh rates you can select will always depend on the monitor, graphics adapter, and resolution your device is using.

Your monitor show the 144hz and 60hz option but doest mean that it works at an intermediate rate.

You can try to update your graphic card by your laptop manufacturer model or change your resolution, but if you don't have the option no one configuration or software can change it. Sorry to give you bad news.

Regards Dayarys

Dayarys Garcia Chirino, Jul 13, 2020
Thema:

Can't change monitor refresh rate

1. Can't change monitor refresh rate - Similar Threads - Can't change monitor

2. Monitor Refresh Rate/Hz

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Monitor Refresh Rate/Hz: I got a really expensive monitor a few months ago and have kind of avoided a problem with changing the Hz. Now that I’m starting to notice it more, I figured it’s about time to get it fixed. Basically, whenever I try to change the refresh rate in settings, it says it had...
  3. Monitor Refresh Rate/Hz

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Monitor Refresh Rate/Hz: I got a really expensive monitor a few months ago and have kind of avoided a problem with changing the Hz. Now that I’m starting to notice it more, I figured it’s about time to get it fixed. Basically, whenever I try to change the refresh rate in settings, it says it had...
  4. Windows Changing Refresh Rates of Monitors

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Changing Refresh Rates of Monitors: I have been searching for an answer to this for days and keep striking out. I recently added a high refresh rate monitor to my setup (165 Hz) and when just that monitor is connected, it works at the expected 165 Hz. As soon as I connect a second display (60 Hz) the refresh...
  5. Cannot Change my Monitor's Refresh Rate

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cannot Change my Monitor's Refresh Rate: Hi, I recently bought a Samsung CRG50, and have been struggling to change its refresh rate for the last hour so. Within the advanced settings for the monitor, it won't allow me to change its refresh rate because I am not an admin. I've changed my account type on my pc to...
  6. Monitor Refresh Rate Keep changes from 144 Refresh rate to 60 Refresh rate after running a...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Monitor Refresh Rate Keep changes from 144 Refresh rate to 60 Refresh rate after running a...: Monitor Refresh Rate Keep changes from 144 Refresh rate to 60 Refresh rate after running CS:GO, I've set it to 144 Refresh rate in nvidia Control Panel it keeps changing back to 60 Refresh rate same thing in Advanced Display Settings changing it to 144 Refresh rate it does...
  7. Monitor refresh rate

in Windows 10 Customization
    Monitor refresh rate: Hello community, I have a question regarding the monitor hz. I have a laptop with a 144hz monitor and I want to reduce it to 120hz. But when I go to the monitor settings it shows two options: 144hz and 60hz. Why isn't there a 120hz option and how can I fix it?...
  8. Different refresh rates for monitors

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Different refresh rates for monitors: https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/7h9bnu/psafor_people_with_dual_monitors_with_different/ Has this even been fixed yet? Needs to be fixed especially for G-sync users "It's because of windows desktop manager. It always runs in vsync. On windows 7 you could...
  9. monitor refresh rate

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    monitor refresh rate: on windows 10, i am having trouble finding the monitor's refresh rate. i get an error message that says it should be 60Hz. 113436
  10. Changing (reducing) a monitor's refresh rate?

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Changing (reducing) a monitor's refresh rate?: Is it safe to change a monitor's default refresh rate - in other words force it to run at a slower refresh rate. Mine has a default of 59Hz and I want to run it at 30Hz. It appears that I can do this in the nVidia driver software but I do not want to risk damage to the...