Windows 10: Can't change my pc name to Ruud-PC

Discus and support Can't change my pc name to Ruud-PC in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Title pretty much sums it all up, When I'm changing my pc name to -PC it says that it isn't possible. , however is possible and even Ruuud-PC is.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Ruud, Sep 15, 2016.

1. Ruud Win User

Can't change my pc name to Ruud-PC

Title pretty much sums it all up,
    When I'm changing my pc name to -PC it says that it isn't possible. , however is possible and even Ruuud-PC is.
    Here is an image in with dutch error:

Can't change my pc name to Ruud-PC [​IMG]

The error in english is: The name of the pc is invalid.

:)

2. Tryx3 Win User

change PC greeting name from me to my wife' name

1 Create an additional password-protected
    local Admin account if you are currently logged into an Admin account using this procedure -

• Start button,
    • Settings,
    • Accounts,
    • Family & other users,
    • [Other users section],
    • Add someone else to this PC,
    • I don't have this person's sign-in information,
    • Add a user without a Microsoft account,
    • Write down the username and password that you are about to use [somewhere readily accessible yet secure from loss],
    • Enter a username, password & password hint,
    • Back in the list of other accounts you can now see in Family & other users, [Other users section],
    • Click on the new account,
    • Click on Change account type,
    • Select the Administrator account type,
    • OK.

Note 1 - Microsoft's recommended procedure is at
    Create a local user or administrator account - Windows 10 Help
    but it skips several of the stages & explanations that I have included.

Note 2 - Just in case you have heard of Password reset disks for local user accounts, note that they achieve nothing more than writing the password down achieves

Note 3 - All my own user account passwords are written down on paper within one of those little dog collar ID tally things that is attached to my main keyring.
    Can't change my pc name to Ruud-PC [​IMG]

2 When you have done that it is always useful [as a guard against user profile corruption in the future] to create a spare [an additional] password-protected
    local Admin account. I have two [both account passwords are written down because there is no chance that I'll remember them in a few years time] -

• one for troubleshooting use only, &
    • an used one for any user-profile-related emergency in the future. Accounts that are not in use do not tend to suffer from user profile corruption.

3 When this setting up is done, your wife can log in to her existing local user account and go to
    Settings, Accounts, Your info where she will find the link
    Sign in with a Microsoft account instead.

4 Your wife can then, if desired, delete your account at Settings,
    Accounts
    , Family & other people, Other people subheading by selecting your account and clicking on the
    Remove button. She will be asked if she also wants to delete all of your files - this is probably the appropriate choice unless you have files you want to save first. It does no harm for your account to remain on her computer ready for use just as
    it would do no harm for hers to be on yours.

Denis

Tryx3, Sep 15, 2016
  3. 1711mack Win User
    change PC greeting name from me to my wife' name

I just purchase a new PC for my wife. During the setup I inadvertently used my e-mail and name. Now when it is turned on my name appears and my password is required.

Can this be changed? The PC is a Dell inspiron w/win10

1711mack, Sep 15, 2016
  4. lx07 Win User

You don't have another PC on your network called Ruud-PC by any chance?

5. Ruud Win User
    I was just thinking about that.
    I just got my laptop back after my hddrive gave up on me and now I'm changing the name of the pc back to how it was.
    But in the meantime I took my old laptop, which is probably called -PC, so I have to rename that laptop to something like -PC-Old

6. Ruud Win User
    Yep, that was the problem, thank you very much!

7. It's unfortunate that many software developers spend little time thinking about error messages. Those messages should not just report that an error has occurred. They should help point to a solution.

The name of the PC was not invalid; it was already in use. And the code must of had some hint of that.

pokeefe0001, Sep 16, 2016
  8. Ruud Win User

yeh that should be way better.

9. BunnyJ New Member
    Unfortunately there sometimes is only so much room for each error message so including a fix might not be possible.

BunnyJ, Sep 25, 2016
  10. True, but even a short message that just mentions an error code that can be looked up would be better than a message that is misleading. I'm sure people would complain if they had to look up an error code, but they probably are going to look up the message anyway (and even post a question on a forum) if the message is misleading.

pokeefe0001, Sep 25, 2016
  11. BunnyJ New Member
    When I programmed I would many a time have to look up various error codes. Fun.. no but that's the way of the world.

BunnyJ, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Can't change my pc name to Ruud-PC - Similar Threads - Can't change name

2. Cant Change PC name

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cant Change PC name: I changed the name of my computer on windows 11 and i cannot change it at all anymore. i was experimenting and now i cannot change it back. how do i fix this https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-change-pc-name/35e1b145-0950-44c1-a513-c030ed993122
  3. change user name PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    change user name PC: Hi,I am signed in with my microsoft account but my PC greets me as 'user'. Can't find a way to change it. My microsoft account on gteh web shows my correct name but my PC does not. How do I change my account name on my PC?...
  4. change user name PC

in Windows 10 Customization
    change user name PC: Hi,I am signed in with my microsoft account but my PC greets me as 'user'. Can't find a way to change it. My microsoft account on gteh web shows my correct name but my PC does not. How do I change my account name on my PC?...
  5. PC Name Changed

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    PC Name Changed: Hi Everyone, I decided to finally change my pc name and now I have two user accounts on login. I've tried everything available on google to delete the second account but to no avail. This is what I tried: delete any other account on "users accounts" but there was nothing...
  6. pc name change

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    pc name change: i'm moving stuff from my pc to another pc to become mine, how do i change the name https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pc-name-change/4e31259e-94b1-4731-899d-6f37a9f4b074
  7. Changing PC Name

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Changing PC Name: I have several PC's that need to have the names changed. These PC's are part of our network, will there be any adverse effects to the network access? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/changing-pc-name/da223a76-b3a7-4944-bc3f-36e7b2990fd0
  8. Change name of PC - Caution!

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Change name of PC - Caution!: Win10 - 1909. My desktop PC arrived from the custom builder with a name of "DESKTOP - Alpha-String" in Windows. I wanted something simpler for pairing with other devices and I only have one desktop pc so changed that to "DESKTOP". I had the PC set up to boot straight to...
  9. Can't access my pc after I changed it's name

Can't access my pc after I changed it's name: I changed my pc name the windows asked for a restart I did it then my pin and Microsoft account password didn't work i changed the password and used the new one didn't work tried to change the pin after the security code it gives black screen with the mouse and nathing I...
  10. Change folder name in This PC

Change folder name in This PC: Hi, I just upgrade windows 10 from windows 7 and I'm customizing some default folder to match my settings in my windows 7. I got a little problem and it's really annoying me. Here is the screenshot of my This PC [img] as you can see, I change the windows default...