Windows 10: Can't change names of network adapters or assign virtual nics

Discus and support Can't change names of network adapters or assign virtual nics in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; So a few days ago I went ahead and upgraded to win 10 pro from 8.1. After the upgrade I wanted to set up a fwew vm's and just do some basic network... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by mjakachira, Aug 18, 2015.

1. Can't change names of network adapters or assign virtual nics

So a few days ago I went ahead and upgraded to win 10 pro from 8.1. After the upgrade I wanted to set up a fwew vm's and just do some basic network setup. As i go to rename my nics it tells me that access is denied. I made sure I am the admin and networking manager of course but still no go. I was able to add a private virtual nic with powershell but get a persmission error when I try to attach the virtual nic to a real nic.

:)

mjakachira, Aug 18, 2015
  2. ShyShi Win User

Hyper-V with OpenVPN on Host Machine

Hi All,

I'm running Windows 10 Build 10565 with Hyper-V role. My PC(Host Machine) has an assigned IP with MAC binding, and a data limit. So I use OpenVPN with IPv6 to get unlimited access to the Internet(through a VPS remotely). That's to say, I have a physical
    Network Card and a Virtual Network Card(TAP-V9 by OpenVPN) before the Hyper-V installed. When I launched a VM, I could not get access to the Internet on it(running Win7) in any configuration of virtual NIC. Besides, if I set the Virtual NIC with the physical
    network card in external mode, it would also break the OpenVPN access. So how do I config the Hyper-V Virtual NIC to get it work?

Any Advise would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Shy Shi

ShyShi, Aug 18, 2015
  3. Unable to connect to my Windows 10 Hotspot from my mobile device.

Device management shows that the Microsoft WI-FI Direct Virtual Adapter # 3 virtual adapter is disabled.
    Activate the mobile hotspot and then verify in device management if the adapter is rehabilitated. Then go to the virtual adapter's tcp / ip properties and check if Windows assigns the ip address to the network adapter otherwise post a screenshot.

Go to Task Manager> Services and search for Mobile Windows Mobile hotspot service, make sure the service is started.

If everything is regular and the hotspot does not work, try to restore the PC to a date before the change you made

franco d'esaro, Aug 18, 2015
Thema:

Can't change names of network adapters or assign virtual nics

1. Can't change names of network adapters or assign virtual nics - Similar Threads - Can't change names

2. Virtual network adapter not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Virtual network adapter not working: Virtual network adapter not working https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/virtual-network-adapter-not-working/f6d684be-6676-4dd0-8050-a078cd0e7a12
  3. Virtual network adapter not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Virtual network adapter not working: Virtual network adapter not working https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/virtual-network-adapter-not-working/f6d684be-6676-4dd0-8050-a078cd0e7a12
  4. Virtual Network Adapter

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Virtual Network Adapter: My Windows 11 laptop will no longer connect to Wi-Fi. It says "You're connected using a virtual network adapter that we can't test." I have restarted my laptop and rebooted the modem, neither worked. Any help on what to do next?...
  5. Virtual Network Adapter

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Virtual Network Adapter: My Windows 11 laptop will no longer connect to Wi-Fi. It says "You're connected using a virtual network adapter that we can't test." I have restarted my laptop and rebooted the modem, neither worked. Any help on what to do next?...
  6. Network adapter named "Douglas"?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Network adapter named "Douglas"?: I was doing some laptop maintenance today and clicked on Network in the file menu of My PC to check what devices are connected. There is a network device name as "Douglas". That is not my computer! When I click properties, it states some information regarding Amazon. Then...
  7. NIC adapter setting got changed automatically

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    NIC adapter setting got changed automatically: On Windows 10 system NIC adapter setting for IPv4 was set as Static IP and after restarting the system it got automatically changed to Obtain automatically IP. Please advise us How could this happen...
  8. Nic Name

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Nic Name: Brit lee https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/nic-name/433d7a90-1757-463a-9665-c81a85493ec4"
  9. How to change the name of Microsoft Wifi Direct Virtual Adapter?

How to change the name of Microsoft Wifi Direct Virtual Adapter?: Hi, When I turn on the wifi of my Android TV, it shows a wifi direct listed in available networks which is of my laptop running windows 10. Its name is shown as DIRECT-NFPONNUSmsDK. In this, "PONNUS" was the name of my laptop previously. I change the name to Arun. But the...
  10. change network adapter name

change network adapter name: Hi *Party how can i change network adapter name: (see Image): [img] i want change it to another name *Mad 53255