Windows 10: Cant change permissions of file because I'm read only

Discus and support Cant change permissions of file because I'm read only in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I want to delete a file in windowsapps but I cant change the permissions due the owner(me) having only read only permissions. I'm basically stuck with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by TannedBatman, Nov 17, 2019.

1. Cant change permissions of file because I'm read only

I want to delete a file in windowsapps but I cant change the permissions due the owner(me) having only read only permissions. I'm basically stuck with this file. For some reason this is the only file in windowsapps I have had do this.

:)

TannedBatman, Nov 17, 2019
  2. tom acito Win User

how to change folder and file permissions in windows 10

this is for a file... how for a folder and ALL subfolders and files

thanks.

tom acito, Nov 17, 2019
  3. No permissions

Hi,

I would suggest you to right click on the user's folder for your profile and check if the permissions shows as "read only'. If this is the case, it might be causing the issue. In this case, I would suggest you to go to C:\User folder, right click on the
    folder with your username and follow these steps:

• Open the properties of the main user profile folder where the files are located (such as Documents, Pictures, etc).
    • Go to the Security tab and click Advanced.
    • Check the box at the bottom of this window. It is labeled "Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object" and then click Ok.
    This does a one-time action that replaces the security on all the files/subfolders. It’s one-time, so you won’t find that box checked if you peek at it later. Try these steps and let us know the results for further assistance.

Bennet Martin, Nov 17, 2019
  4. Cant change permissions of file because I'm read only

how to change folder and file permissions in windows 10

Hi David,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

• Are you trying to give permission to particular files and folders?
    I suggest you to follow the below step and check if it helps.

• Once you choose the file that you want to give permission, right click on it.
    • Click on properties and go to security tab, check whether any permission have been set.
    • After you have viewed the permissions that are already set, you can now click on the Advanced Button that is right below the "Permissions for Authenticated Users"
    • Once you have clicked Advanced, a box like this should appear, the "Permission Entries" box, which shows all the permissions that are set for the users. Now, after you have spotted the user whose permissions you wish to change, click "Change Permissions.
    • Click on the user you would like to edit, and then click the option that says "Change Permissions" which is right below the box.
    • Once that is clicked, you are going to get the same box pop up, but this time, you can actually edit the options. You do that by clicking the "Administrators" user again, and this time, you are going to click the "Edit" option.
    Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Nov 17, 2019
Thema:

Cant change permissions of file because I'm read only

1. Cant change permissions of file because I'm read only - Similar Threads - Cant change permissions

2. read only change

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    read only change: how to fix the stubborn read-only status ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/read-only-change/f469db65-bc46-4459-8935-8505d683998e
  3. read only change

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    read only change: how to fix the stubborn read-only status ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/read-only-change/f469db65-bc46-4459-8935-8505d683998e
  4. Can't change file permissions file set to read only cant't change this.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't change file permissions file set to read only cant't change this.: I can't change the file that the game Terraria uses for saving data. by that I mean something is blocking the write property of the files that store the world and player save data. I've tried all the suggestions mentioned by the error message that comes up whenever I try to...
  5. Can't change file permissions file set to read only cant't change this.

Can't change file permissions file set to read only cant't change this.: I can't change the file that the game Terraria uses for saving data. by that I mean something is blocking the write property of the files that store the world and player save data. I've tried all the suggestions mentioned by the error message that comes up whenever I try to...
  6. cant change permissions for my files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    cant change permissions for my files: when trying to change file permissions I click the button to change owner but the pop up window doesn't come up and the button goes gray and I can interact with it and I cant change permissions because when I try I get the "this access control entry is corrupted delete it and...
  7. cant change permissions for my files

cant change permissions for my files: when trying to change file permissions I click the button to change owner but the pop up window doesn't come up and the button goes gray and I can interact with it and I cant change permissions because when I try I get the "this access control entry is corrupted delete it and...
  8. Permission in changing read only

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Permission in changing read only: So, I just got xbox game pass and I want to install a mod in one of the games, but the directory of the game is in WindowsApps. Because of this, I have gone through and changed ownership permission so my user account has full control over all files and folders in WindowsApps....
  9. Can't change a file to read only

Can't change a file to read only: Hi, I was trying to set a file to read only but I keep getting an access is denied message, I've looked online for solutions but can't seem to find one that works. [ATTACH] This is the message I keep receiving, my account is set to administrator so not really sure what to...
  10. Read-only file permissions forced in Windows 10

Read-only file permissions forced in Windows 10: My C: drive is a SSD and my main data drive is D: and is a 1 TB disk drive. Windows 10 forces read-only permissions on the folders in my D: drive, and I cannot change that. What the heck is going on, and how do I turn my data drive into a useful storage locations?...